• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Allen bits

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
I purchased a gunsmith tool kit branded by Winchester. For the most part, this has all I need. EXCEPT the Allen bits are not metric and turns out most of my guns use metric. I would like to buy a set of metric Allen bits. I want to get decent quality, but not something that is crazy pricey.

If you could recommend something that would be great.

thanks

You can get good ones from the Snap-On tool truck for about $4 per bit.

For firearms I go with the Snap-O suggestion; but pony up the few extra bucks for the gold colored ones. They keep their edge/shape MUCH better than the lack bits.

Just buy the sizes you need and it's not that bad. 1/4" drive fits your torque wrench too.

Wiha is quality. No question there. They can be a bit over-hardened however, and can break. Particularly the torx bits. I have found the Snap-On (gold bits) to be the best. If torque is low, the Wiha stuff is excellent.

Seriously....just go to HD, lowes, or tractor supply.........you dont need "german engineered" hex drivers....you can get away with decent quality bits.....youre not going to strip out or damage a hex head like you can with flat blade or philips.

and i think anyone who buys snap-on is a moron with too much money to spend......spend $40k on tools that you could have got for $5k through craftsman.

theyre just tge gucci of tools....take a $5 tool....slap their name on it and sell for $200 becauwe of the name

Holy shit why haven't I heard of those guys yet? German-made tools at reasonable prices.....

Latest crop of Wiha screwdriver bits and some other tools are coming from Vietnam. I guess they've settled a lot of Germans in there to crank up "German-made" production in Vietnam. Absolutely nothing against Vietnam, I personally do not care where bits are made. as long as they work. However, good old Hanz carefully crafting the tools in the middle of the night is already gone, and a long time ago.

Last edited:
Seriously....just go to HD, lowes, or tractor supply.........you dont need "german engineered" hex drivers....you can get away with decent quality bits.....youre not going to strip out or damage a hex head like you can with flat blade or philips.

and i think anyone who buys snap-on is a moron with too much money to spend......spend $40k on tools that you could have got for $5k through craftsman.

theyre just tge gucci of tools....take a $5 tool....slap their name on it and sell for $200 becauwe of the name

No. You pay for a guy with a truck to come to the shop you work at, and replace your broken tools. Probably not worth it for the hobbiest, but thanks for helping pay for service. As I recall when I went to school, the required starting kit from snap on was about 10k and the one from craftsman was 5k. Some companies do different tools better than others. I have a very nice miss mosh of tools after starting out with the Proto set.

bondhus are relatively inexpensive on amazon. Made in USA and very good quality. also on Brownells.

People (like me) who buy Snap-On usually make their living with good quality tools. We can't afford to round out a stubborn fastener because the tool was a cheap piece of shit. So before you go making retarded blanket statements about people who buy overpriced "Gucci" tools, do your research and learn why good tools are expensive, and why companies like Snap-On are better than big box store tools. Craftsman are fucking junk as far as tools for professional technicians go. They're no better than Harbor Freight garbage.

I’ll second the Wiha thing. Really well made and cheap. The ones I have are perfectly hardened as far as I can tell - I managed to snap the head off a torx screw with no damage to the bit.

also craftsman is mostly out of business afaik, as sears dies. That said they make 2 lines of tools - the floor tools at sears that suck and the craftsman professional stuff. Much of the professional stuff is made almost exactly like snap-on tools are, sometimes even coming from the same OEM.

Bob Lee Swagger used a crescent wrench on his rifle!! In the world of $5000 rifles it's hard to believe some would skimp on allen bits lol.

People (like me) who buy Snap-On usually make their living with good quality tools. We can't afford to round out a stubborn fastener because the tool was a cheap piece of shit. So before you go making retarded blanket statements about people who buy overpriced "Gucci" tools, do your research and learn why good tools are expensive, and why companies like Snap-On are better than big box store tools. Craftsman are fucking junk as far as tools for professional technicians go. They're no better than Harbor Freight garbage.

I have a bunch of that overpriced Gucci shit. Some people don't realize that they are a great tax write off for a single guy. You can go about anywhere in the country and find a snap on dealer when you do break shit. That's nice when you work on the road, try that with other brands. I can only imagine his opinion on snap on boxes, bring me a craftsman box and let me load all my tools in it. It won't take the weight.

Last edited:
When I was a young lad, I worked in a motorcycle shop as a mechanic. Used lots of phillips, hex and torx bits in impact driver. I had then, lots of craftsman tool, I was in college, was all I could afford. Whenever I had a tough screw or bolt to get out, I borrowed the other guys Snap on impact driver, one smack, problem solved. SO...... bought my own Snap-on driver, used it with craftsman bits. Those bits might have lasted two weeks max each, I was constantly going to Sears and getting them replaced. Yeah, it was free, but it was time out of my day every couple weeks, to exchange a handful of bits, not just one or two. I had to have spares in order to use Craftsman bits, they didn't last. Finally broke down and bought the sets of Snap-On bits. Never broke one over the next two years.

Same deals with their screwdrivers and wrenches, if you round it off with your Sears product, you can usually put your Snap-On on it, and get it loose. On the large turbines I work on now, with 2 and 3 inch diameter bolts and nuts, Snap-On is usually the preferred socket, they just don't break. When you have a dozen guys costing $100 an hour, you can't wait on a broken socket to get replaced.

Guys that make their living with tools, don't buy them at the hardware store. I keep a cheap set of torx screwdrivers at the ranch for working scopes and mounts when visitors inevitably have issues/ swap scopes etc. I hate it when they snap off, or twist off, but don't want to leave a nice set of Snap=On unattended when I'm not there, they won't be there when I get back. No one steals the cheap one though... imagine that.