• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alliant Power Pro 2000 in 308 AR Piston - Free Lunch?

Guyotrd

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I was thinking of using my POF P308 for the next ELK hunt - but consider the velocity marginal at best for the long 250 - 350 yd shots that might be required.

I am getting 2578 with the 20 in barrel with factory Hornady ELD-X 178 which surprised me as it is only 22fps slower than the factory specs in a barrel that is 24 inches (it should be about 100fps slower)

I ran across the load data on the Federal Website for the new Edge TLR 175 that lists Max velocity at 2803 - if that is accurate I would be getting in range of a 300 WSM. Problem solved.

I have searched here and seen all sorts of conflicting opinions on the temperature stability - Alliant says it is stable and other posts have it at .5ps per degree. The temperature swings a lot here in Colorado so the indoor range I shoot at for load development is about 70 F, while the shot in second season could be anywhere from 10 - 50 F. Also other powders like the factory Hornady which is unknown might have similar variations - (I imagine besides the Alliant the Hornady Factory recipe will be hard to beat) - Also POF advises against Hornady SST ammo in the piston gun for some reason related to the location of the gas port and I am not sure whether this is a factor here.

I cannot solve this mystery now as there is not powder and am starting to think we may never see powder and ammo abundant again.

Is there a downside I am not seeing or is this a case of a free lunch on the extra velocity?

Hornady advises against using "Superformance" ammo in gas guns, not "SST", which is one of their bullet designs.

Hornady advises against using "Superformance" ammo in gas guns, not "SST", which is one of their bullet designs.
Yes of course - I am nearing 60 and while not slobbering yet the memory/mental acuity is not what is used to be - although ask me anything about the 70's - I do not particularly care for their sst bullets.

I just bought some on Gunbroker for 100 / lb -Way too much but I want to try it, comments from those that have used it, would be appreciated.

I've shot a bit of 2000 MR in two 308 bolt guns using 175 OTM. One is a 24" Hart and the other, a 27" 40XBKS. Velocities were in the 2770 FPS range with 46.5 Grs. in a Federal case.

I don't think you're going to get near your goal velocity in a 20" gas gun. I shoot two DI 308 AR's, a GAP 10 and a SR-25. I have to drop a grain or two from my bolt gun loads or I will beat my brass to death.

I did try a couple of 2000 MR loads in the GAP 10. With 45.0gr. & a Hornady 178, in Federal GMM brass, I got 2611 FPS avg. W/ a Magneto Speed. I went up to 45.8 gr. with a 175 Nosler CC and "1968 WCC" 7.62 NATO brass. Didn't chrono it, but got 2" groups @ 300 yards with no over pressure signs. GAP 10 has a 22" Bartlien barrel.

You're going to have to work up your load and be aware of the temp sensitivity if you shoot the load in hotter weather.

I used 2000mr in my 18.5" AR308 and I was getting 2570ish with 46.8grs and 178gr bthp. Decent velocity for the barrel length. Single digit s.d. and good accuracy for the platform (.5-.75)

I just spoke with Alliant and they said that the 2000 MR is not one of their temperature stable powders like RL 16, 23 and 26 and I can expect 1 - 2 FPS Variance at temperature extremes.

I will report back my experiment once I load with the TLR Edge

Guyotrd: I’ve got a Speer Datafile for the 168 gr BTHP Match bullet , Power Pro 2000-MR is not one of the 13 powders suitable for gas operated semi-auto rifles .

Guyotrd: I’ve got a Speer Datafile for the 168 gr BTHP Match bullet , Power Pro 2000-MR is not one of the 13 powders suitable for gas operated semi-auto rifles .
Is this for Rifles like the M14 or the Garand that are prone to bent Op rods?
PP200MR is my main powder for my AR. Its DI gas system in 7mm-08 with +1" gas tube and adjustable gas. I've had good results with 44.4gr PP200MR behind a 150gr SMK. Even when shot suppressed. Velocity a hair less than 2800fps.

2000MR is awfully slow. Having used it in a 20” bolt with 178 AMax I would not recommend it in a Semi even if I were not pushing the velocity. The velocity was slightly under 2700 fps with ~48grs. An adjustable gas block would be needed on a DI. My Rem 700 spit fire in broad daylight and recoil was excessive. No one around me liked it, and that was before I put a break on the rifle!

It is definitly not a Garand or M14 powder, it would destroy the Op Rod.

Is this for Rifles like the M14 or the Garand that are prone to bent Op rods?
PP200MR is my main powder for my AR. Its DI gas system in 7mm-08 with +1" gas tube and adjustable gas. I've had good results with 44.4gr PP200MR behind a 150gr SMK. Even when shot suppressed. Velocity a hair less than 2800fps.
The datafile shows a + next to each powder that can be used in a Gas Operated Semi-auto rifles . There is no + next to Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR .

Last edited:
The datafile shows a + next to each powder that can be used in a Gas Operated Semi-auto rifles . There is no + next to Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR .
The powders marked are M1A/M14 suitable powders and loads so they apply directly to those rifles. The AR’s are more forgiving but still have to consider Gas pressure at the gas port.