• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Alll around pistol

Re: Alll around pistol

Including carry?

If I could have only one pistol I'd probably chose a CZ P-01 or PCR because it fits me very well and I'm currently familiar with their larger siblings through USPSA. Similar guns would be the Glock 19 and Sig p229/p228 depending on where you like the controls.

edit: If you're not planning to conceal the gun regularly definitely get a full size equivalent: CZ 75 or SP-01, G17 or Sig p226.

ya sig makes great handguns, my personal favorite is the 226 but the 220 is excellent as well. They are reliable and to me ergonomically great. They are a little bit more expensive but IMO you get what you pay for. However if you are looking to go cheaper, something else to consider is the beretta 92 fs. They are getting pretty cheap now (you can find them for about $550) and IMO are much better than say a glock or really most other handguns at that price range. the XDm is also a good gun if you are into the whole striker fire handgun thing. Personally, i do not care for stiker fired guns, but some people love them. and As far as strikers go, the XDm is a good gun for a good price. Also, dont forget the 1911, the dont have that much magazine capacity but they are reliable and IMO some of the most ergonomically pleasing handguns ever made, and now since they are made with firing pin safeties, they are more suitable for concealed carry/ personal protection. In the end, there are many good choices alot of it really comes down to personal preferences

I'd say it depends on what youre going to use it for. My choice for a rugged all around gun is almost always glock. I love 1911s and sigs but its great to carry with out any care. i dont mind it getting dirty or banged up. mags and parts are very easy to come by also. I love a good wheel gun as well.

S&W Model 27. 4" barrel isn't too bad to carry, 357 for defense, 38 for practice/target/training. Great stuff.

I'm not a glock guy at all... I do not know the model names even... However my choice for a "do all" would be a Glock in 10mm... Can carry it daily for personal defense, has plenty of power for a woods walking gun, could deer hunt with it even... That's just my penny's worth

Sorry been away for a while. Either a 9mm or 40 cal. Will be used
For Paper pouching and carry. Already have a glock 45, just don't
Like the ergo of the handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry been away for a while. Either a 9mm or 40 cal. Will be used
For Paper pouching and carry. Already have a glock 45, just don't
Like the ergo of the handle. </div></div>

Then I take back what I said... Try out an M & P 9 or 40...

G19 (Gen 3). Home defense, check; paper hole maker, check; small enough for CCW, check; easy to operate, clean, upgrade, check.

For all around gun, try getting a .40/.357 caliber gun that you can swap in 9mm as well.

Glock 22 in .40 with .357 sig drop in barrel and 9mm conversion barrel+9mm mags.

You can do the same with any of the .40/.357 glocks and Smith and Wesson m&p's.

I say the Glock 19 would make a fine choice. It's small enough to carry, light, holds up to 33 rounds, shoots 9mm which is the least expensive round I would consider for personal defense and is reliable. A 10mm would be bad ass though as Chadwick points out. 10mm is more costly and less likely to be found on a store shelf but this is not a problem though if you reload. The Glock may not be for you though based off of its grip angle however. Mine works for me but others prefer the Springfield XD or S&W M&P when it comes to striker fired guns. I like the M&P a lot but I already own a Glock 19. I can not stand the XD though. The grip is funky to me, the slide seems ginormous and the grip safety is not necessary in my opinion. I prefer shooting Glocks and M&P's over XD's by a long shot.

CZ's are nice. I own a P01 Tactical and a friend owns a P01. Both fit my hand well but in both cases the trigger left much to be desired. I ended up having the trigger on mine cleaned up. 1911's are cool too but buying one can be an expensive endeavor. I have a DW Valor and I think it's pretty sweet for the money I paid for it. I like the quality of the all metal Sigs but the grip angle doesn't work for me so I haven't given much consideration to them. The one I did shoot had a great trigger. I owned a polymer one for about a week and sold it because the grip angle did not work for me and it had a cycling issue but I can't recall what it was. My friend bought it from me and sent it back to Sig. They fixed it without issue.

I am sure there is a revolver or two that are great but I don't have enough experience with them to comment on them. I do know I would like to own a .44 mag some day and I'm kind of leaning toward the S&W 629 Hunter but not for a carry gun.

I would say for good quality all around pistol at a decent price and if the cost/availability of ammo is not a concern, a 10mm Glock is hard to beat. If I got one it would probably the model 20 with a 6" Lone Wolf barrel for added velocity but that's just me. It would be a bit difficult to conceal though. The 29 is about the same size as the 19 making it more suitable for carry.

If it's a choice between 9mm and .40 I'de choose 9mm simply because shooting is fun and necessary to be proficient. .40 costs more and capacity is reduced in similar firearms. Only hits count. It doesn't matter what size cartridge is used if the shot is not placed correctly.

Edit:The grip on the .45 Glock is kind of heavy duty. Have you tried the 19 or 23?

Thanks to all who gave their imput. That's what I like about this
site. I'm going to look into the g19 or the m&p in 9 until I get
More proficient. Again thanks

There are some excellent suggestions above ^ ^ ^ . Go to a range that rents, or find some friends that have these and try them out before you take the plunge.

The 1911 45 is my all time favorite and primary carry gun. You say 9mm? M&P is my preferred 9mm - I like the changeable backstrap. A G17? do not like grip, but my hand swallows a G19, so it's acceptable and I have one. Nice carry gun - so is a G26.

Kevin

Cajun - saw you just posted. You can't go wrong with either one. As I said above, the M&P is my preferred 9mm.

One thing to consider for a carry gun is snagging points. I do not want it to snag as I am presenting it should I need to defend myself. This is one reason why I chose a striker fired gun over a hammer fired gun. That's not to say a hammer fired gun is inferior or anything like that. I am just pointing it out as one thing I considered important to me when I chose my carry gun.

What are you thoughts on the sig 226 or 229.
Just want to cover all bases. Going to look for a range
That rents on Monday.

If you don't like how the Glock feels in your hand, try a Hogue Hand-all grip and see if that makes it feel better. I think they are around $10-12. Might try that before you decide on a new handgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing to consider for a carry gun is snagging points. I did not want it to snag as I am presenting it should I need to defend myself. This is one reason why I chose a striker fired gun over a hammer fired gun. That's not to say a hammer fired gun is inferior or anything like that. I am just pointing it out as one thing I considered important to me when I choose my carry gun. </div></div>

Good point on the "snag factor"!

Practice, practice, and more practice, and a very good holster. Proficiency and good equipment reduces that risk. I can say it hasn't happened, but I won't say "never".

Cajun, if you are after a carry gun, which it sounds like you are, the M&P-C or G19 are going to be your best bets. Follow through with the rental/borrow if you can. I became a believer in the M&P after our department received some from S&W for T&E, and we ran them through the proverbial wringer. I ended up getting one for personal use.

Kevin

The 226/229 are DA/SA firearms Which means with the hammer decocked the first pull of the cycle will be heavier and each subsequent pull will be lighter. This is similar to how my CZ operates. That being said, I use my Glock or my 1911 in pistol matches a lot more often than my CZ. This is because I have not got accustom to switching my brain from DA mode to SA mode quickly enough to satisfy my need for speed during the stage. I prefer for each pull of the trigger to be similar to the previous one which is why I use my Glock or 1911 the most. If you want a DA/SA that is great but keep in mind it is different than a striker fired or single action and in my opinion you should train with the double action mode just the same as the single action mode if not more. But that's just my opinion. Sig makes a great gun.

If I had to choose one pistol for everything it would be the HK P2000 with the light LEM trigger.

Well here is a vote for the XDm. I carried a Glock for work for nearly 15 years...and competed with it and did fairly well. Just picked up a springfield XDm not too long ago, and I am sold. My times are much faster with the XDm over a Glock 34 for 3 gun type stuff. The pac timer doesn't lie.

I completely switched over from Glocks and run nothing but XDm's now. XDm9 for tactical, xdm 45 for Heavy Metal.

Go to a range that has several pistols that you can rent or try out. It depends on what you want the pistol for. Competition, concealed carry, home defense. Everyone is going to have an opinion what works for them. Go and see what works for you.

Go to the gun shop and hold as many different pistols as you can. Stay with the major brands to ensure quality construction and good customer service (i.e. Glock, Springfield, Sig, etc.). Narrow your options down to a few that point the best, and feel the best in your hand. Find a range that rents them or track down people that own them and try them out yourself.

A pistol is merely a tool, and if it doesn't fit you, or you aren't comfortable with it, it is virtually useless because you either A) wont feel comfortable carrying it and end up leaving it at home. B} it wont fit you correctly and you can't hit what you're aiming at.

While some pistols are of marginally better design or construction than others, as long as you stick with the major brand names it's hard to find a "bad" pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had to choose one pistol for everything it would be the HK P2000 with the light LEM trigger.</div></div>

I agree, that is my new gun of choice as well, I prefer it over my Glocks and other handguns I have owned in the past.

Thanks to all, I went to a gun shop and handled FN, Glock, XDM, XD, Sig, Springfield 1911 - mid size and Colt 1911 - mid size.

As far as comfort goes its a close one, the XDM and the Sig are the most comfortable. I have a colt gov. model in stainless (enhanced model). To me its to heavy to carry(Full Size).
Looks like i'm going to look for a range i can shoot the Sig and the XDM.

Will post what I come up with as well as pics of targets.

John

If you didn't like the Glock 19, I would suggest trying a S&W M&P 9mm. I got to T&E one and it was very nice. If you choose the Sig I would only recommend buying a DAK (7lb Double Acton Only trigger). You don't want to switch between a double action in addition to your DAO Glock and SA 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gvanhyning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Sig P226, 1981 model that is great. But when it comes to simplicity and function, the 1911 can't be beat. Personal opinion. </div></div>

Sorry, cannot agree there. While a good 1911 can be great, I would call them neither simple nor the best functioning. My position allows me to see hundreds of guns going over a thousand rounds in a few days. Hate to say it but more 1911 issues crop up than most others combined.

Not a personal thing, just a solid observation.

Oh, Glock 19 or the M&P 9mm. Cannot really go wrong.

Glock 19

you can conceal with 15 round mag or you can insert 17rd mag or you can use 33rd mag. Great for training, great for concealment. Fits good in my hand and the wife's hand. You can buy cheap ammo to shoot and good ammo for personal defense.

I don't have one but I have shot and held the Taurus 709 and really think it would be a good all around carry gun. It is the size of a .380 yet packs 8 rounds of 9mm and can handle 9mm+ ammo.
I have owned Glocks and I just don't feel comfortable with them as they do not have manual safeties. Call me old fashioned, but I have seen/heard too many Glock accidents. If someone takes away one of my semi's I know that I have a split second for them to figure out the safety release and that might buy me time to survive. A glock is like a revolver...you pull the trigger it goes bang.

Even people who know a little about guns (the most dangerous type of person) assumes that a semi has a safety, they see a revolver and understand that it is hot.

The Taurus is light weight, well made, snag free, double action, and inexpensive.
I shoot Steyrs (original m9 and s9) but If I had to buy another semi it would be the Taurus 709.

My vote is for the HK p30 - but with one caveat. The gun has great ergonomics for my medium sized hands. Hi cap mags are a plus and size is very manageable. Durability and ease of maintenance are also positives. However, I did send the gun to Gray Guns to install their reset perfection package, LEM trigger and Heinie sights - so basically, I spent a lot of extra cabbage to get it exactly the way I wanted. Having said that, it is the best all around gun I have and would be the last one on the auction block, if push ever came to shove and I had to liquidate my firearms. A close second is my Walther PPQ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a glock guy at all... I do not know the model names even... However my choice for a "do all" would be a Glock in 10mm... Can carry it daily for personal defense, has plenty of power for a woods walking gun, could deer hunt with it even... That's just my penny's worth </div></div>Yeah, I agree with this as far as an "all around" pistol. The 10mm is a great round, but even so probably just a little on the heavy side if it came down to shooting a human in self defense. I would worry about blow thru, unless the guy happened to weigh 300+.
wink.gif