• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing ALMOST attacked while putting out the trail cam...

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs
Well hadn't had the trail cam out for awhile so I decided it would be a good time to put it out and check around.
Well with all the rain we've had here in PA recently everything was REALLY high and really green. Was just waiting to run into a snake at some point.
Hung the trail cam and started towards one the back areas of the property I hunt to check on a stand. Working my way through some thick green mess. Well had the 17hmr along in case some sort of critter was about especially the 2 ballistic gelatin blocks (cats) I saw a few times while hunting before. Due to the thick cover an short distance I powered the scope down to 3x.
I work my way out to an old tractor trail and start hoofin it back to check on a stand. It was at this point I was about 1/4 of the way into the first field. (Keep in mind the farm I'm on is no longer used an the fields are in a poor state/bad.) I look up the trail an notice something that isn't right. I pause and check through the scope but can't define what it is due to its use of cover an the position of the sun. As I get closer i see it move attempting to gain an angle of attack on me.
Fortunately I was ready snapped the rifle up took a crack and down it went. Proving that being aware of your surroundings and knowing your equipment can make a difference.
OR...the readers digest version.....The Groundhog met his Nightmare today:
DSC_0183.jpg

Savage MkII 17HMR...Speer TNT HP

Re: ALMOST attacked while putting out the trail cam...

Ive been seeing alot more around here. Cant wait to pop on soon. Good job!

better him than YOU...
wink.gif

Yup, those groundhogs have been known to rip out arms, remove ribs, and dismember people beyond recognition.
Nice reading though
smile.gif

Zombie Groundhogs will ambush you. A large one tried this on my dog about 2 weeks ago. Didn't turn out to well for the groundhog....

As so many before you that have met a different fate dew to this vile creature. We would like to publicly thank you for saving so many that would have succumbed to this abomination. With out the service of heroic men like your self this country would be over run by such cruel rabid demons like this. Let me sum this up, and say that I hope I have half as much courage as you when I am put into this dire situation.

This man is truly a HERO!

Well... that does it. No more CaddyShack movies.

Glad you made it man. Close calls like that make me remember how fragile a thing Life really is.

LOOK OUT!!! It's comin' right for us!

Good thing yuou didn't spill your beer in the bullet chamber...

I keep thinking about how lucky you are and fortunate that the groundhog did not attack you and eat your kidneys while you were still awake!!!!!!

Whats the number of attacks reported on these wild beasts a year? Must be far greater then sharks.

Moment of silence for the ones who whern't so lucky.

Have a friend that lives just west of Emmitsburg, MD. He commonly refers to these creatures as Western Maryland Field Grizzlies.

Thanks for the safety concern guys. Will say I'm not very impressed with the performance of the 17 at least with the TNT HP's maybe it was the close range but I'll be taking my 223 next time.
OR I'll keep thing interesting and use the pistola next time.

Claymores! So they cant "ambush" you again. They will never know what hit them!

He was probably a decoy and more were to attack from the rear.