• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Alternate to TBAC for precision rifle shooting?

Jimmy D in AK

Myrmidon
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Alaska (AK)
Hey Fellas, Since Thunder Beast published their thoughtful yet heartbreaking PSA about production time being WAY up due to backlog (new orders aren't expected to be serialized for up to 8 months): What are other suppressors are in the same league at TBAC for repeatability, durability etc.? Up to now I've only bought Thunder Beast.

There are none.... save your pennies during the wait for tbac...

In all seriousness, people claim to get good repeatability and accuracy from the sico omega but i do not have any experience with it other than just shooting a couple different rifles that had one on it. I have never owned an omega. I would say do your research on all the many forums out there and use google.. it seems like new cans are coming out all the time.

Wow. They must of got a huge contract. No luck finding what you're looking for in stock at a dealer?

I'd be looking at Dead Air, Griffin or Q if you can't find the Thunder Beast you are looking for. I think I'm close to 8 months on my Q Full Nelson. You'd be looking at close to a two year wait if TB is really 8 months out.

Reactions: Jimmy D in AK
It's not like we aren't producing cans for you guys to buy, it's just that there are dealer (and some individual) orders already in the system that will take us a long time to kick out. And we are presently producing cans at a rate higher than at any time in our history, other than the big 41F push in 2016. All these cans are going into our distribution channel which is basically our dealers-- so, please check out our dealer network to get what you need because collectively they are receiving cans every week.

This "Availability Tool" is helpful to locate which dealers have recently received, or are about to receive, the can you're looking for https://thunderbeastarms.com/availability

It's not like we aren't producing cans for you guys to buy, it's just that there are dealer (and some individual) orders already in the system that will take us a long time to kick out. And we are presently producing cans at a rate higher than at any time in our history, other than the big 41F push in 2016. All these cans are going into our distribution channel which is basically our dealers-- so, please check out our dealer network to get what you need because collectively they are receiving cans every week.

This "Availability Tool" is helpful to locate which dealers have recently received, or are about to receive, the can you're looking for https://thunderbeastarms.com/availability

Hey Zak, Thanks for the clarification- I didn't me to imply you guys weren't doing everything you possibly can to accommodate the public as well as your other customers. You guys have been AWESOME!

I think I'll just wait and keep combing the dealer network... Thanks for the insight!

Hey Fellas, Since Thunder Beast published their thoughtful yet heartbreaking PSA about production time being WAY up due to backlog (new orders aren't expected to be serialized for up to 8 months): What are other suppressors are in the same league at TBAC for repeatability, durability etc.? Up to now I've only bought Thunder Beast.

All you have to do is spend a little time on the TBAC website using the availability tool and you can find one in stock at a dealer.

Reactions: Jimmy D in AK
Our present best estimates are always at https://thunderbeastarms.com/availability
We are also working as hard as we can to increase production rates, but big CNC machines don't arrive overnight..
This is why as a dealer it's a good idea to submit orders every month or so, so you have stuff to sell on an ongoing basis.
Demand really picked up in late Q4 2018, not sure if it was people trying miss the SHOT Show rush or what

Hey Zak can you send me a PM I have a question and for some reason I cant PM you.

It’s worth it to wait for TBAC. What are you looking for specifically?

TBAC is great. Also take a look at Dead Air Nomad or Sandman Ti.

I recently bought a SureFire SOCOM260-Ti can which my dealer just happened to have in stock. According to SF, it was designed specifically for use with bolt guns. As far as how it compares to a TBAC, I'm not sure - in fact I'd be really interested to see a comparison by someone who is fortunate enough to be able to test both.

Little to no POA/POI change with can on/off. Weight. Construction/materials. Large taper mounting surface that locks up tight and doesn't come loose. The repeatability is second to none. They are quiet. No leaking of gas out of the mount/suppressor back on the barrel. Customer service is probably one of the best. The guys support the shooting community.

If I could have started over buying suppressors I would have only bought TBAC cans for my bolt guns. Gas gun / hard use cans I still use Surefire and KAC. But for precision rigs, there just isn't anything better I have used.

You can absolutely find them in stock at a dealer. If it’s the can you want (it is) then don’t cheat yourself.

Having said that, I also have very good luck with my Sandman Ti direct thread.

Reactions: SVG308
In all seriousness, people claim to get good repeatability and accuracy from the sico omega but i do not have any experience with it other than just shooting a couple different rifles that had one on it. I have never owned an omega. I would say do your research on all the many forums out there and use google.. it seems like new cans are coming out all the time.

My omega has consistent poi shift and repeatability on all 4 bolt guns I use it on. The repeatability is good enough that I’ve zeroed my rifles with the can using the asr mounts. And my poi shift is less than half of what my buddies tabac was before he went with a different mount. We are both shooting nukes with 26" barrels in 6 creed.

I get a repeatable POI shift with my Ultra 7. With the can on, it's about 1" low and 1" to the right using the Area 419 mount.

I get a repeatable POI shift with my Ultra 7. With the can on, it's about 1" low and 1" to the right using the Area 419 mount.
The 419 mounts apparently cut poi shift way down. What was your poi shift using a tabac mount or did you try it?

With my tbac mount and ultra 7 .30. My poi shift was about 1/2” low. I zeroed the rifle with the can on and take it on and off after every shooting session.. zero is always where it should be. I have had zero issues with tbac mounts both the flash hider and brake mounts.

I wanna see what the new rugged radiant will do precision wise...

I use a Rugger Micro 30 in the short config on a few bolt guns that also does pretty well. Just a blast reducer really as it's only 5 inches long and on magnums. So still spits out some fire balls but tames it down quiet a bit. Accuracy is the same without a can on. Works well on a couple hunting rigs when weight and length is a concern.

Reactions: DrainTheSwamp2017
oof. that wait time. hopefully things slow down by the time i leave California, im really hankering for a 22 takedown

IMO the best alternative to TBAC is probably Elite Iron. It's about the closest thing you can get to a TBAC but in 316SS instead of Ti. It's not as heavy as you'd think, the guy is a metallurgist and knows his shit, they have similar thread over brake designs for mounting and Elite is the mfg. of the brake McMillan uses on the TAC rifles. Elite will also index your can and/or brake TDC so the POI shift is totally vertical. Can mfg. direct thread cans and brakes such that they mount TDC without the use of shims, which is really nice (especially for a .50 BMG in the field).

But I also still stand behind TBAC and I have several cans and am used to the wait, so I don't care. I get what I want and wait it out. After waiting nearly two years for my QDC to come back plus being a VA patient, I figure I can wait anything out.

IMO there isn't another solution for a quality Ti can like TBAC makes. They're pretty much peerless in that arena.

The KAC QDC is probably the best all around can made, again IMO, but it's not cheap, neither is the mount, and it may not be exactly what you're looking for.

Reactions: TheMammoth
The KAC qdc is not as quiet as the some other cans, but its price of admission is quite high if you put a mams on your AR's like I did.

What about the sig 762 cans. They seem nice. I have a ultra 9 that I've been waiting for the ATF for forever on

I've had a Gemtech sandstorm that I've used for a long time. Been a good can

Reactions: TheMammoth
I have been perfectly happy with every griffin can I own. I have never had an issue. The mount is very close to the TBAC mount as well.

Some other guy shot one a few times also.....

Last edited:
You’re joking right?! Does he actually deliver anything?

Sad to say, but I know 2 guys local here in Kansas that have waited over a year for a Leviathan and it isn't looking good. I know several guys that shoot them and I was considering one. My $$ will go to TBAC for an ultra now.

Reactions: Cody S
What about the sig 762 cans. They seem nice. I have a ultra 9 that I've been waiting for the ATF for forever on

I've had a Gemtech sandstorm that I've used for a long time. Been a good can

I use a direct thread srd762. No issues, I zero with the can and only shoot with the can.
I cut some thread adapters with the taper for my .22's, and I can't tell a difference between the square shoulder and the tapered shoulder for repeatability. I've taken the can on and off between groups and haven't seen a shift, but I will give that credit to the direct thread. It's much harder to make a qd repeatable with the lack of thread engagement.

My father has a TBAC. I have AWC / SF / SRT. All them are equally accurate. The AWC and SRT come in Ti.

Lot of good cans out there.

I have had a SilencerCo Omega for 3 years, now. I have ran it on 6 or 7 different rifles. I could tell you that I can shoot one hole groups with it all day, but who the hell believes that shit?

It is a great can and you wouldn’t be disappointed. Chicks dig any silencer!

I also have an Ultra 7 in jail ;)

Last edited: