• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alternative to 10/22 mag ???

660grizzlyguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
I heard about a 10/22 magazine that is straightline, not rotary. Supposed to be more reliable. Anybody know more??

In 40 years I've never had a problem with Rugers mags.
I did break one on my own,called and told them what I did and they still sent me a new one

Reactions: Boltyboi
I found one in an antique shop once , there was a metal piece that fit into the gun and a curved 30 round mag that fit into the adapter . I gave 10 bucks for it . Gave the adapter to a guy that was going to make some and never heard from him again. I still have the mag. I see them at gun shows sometimes they run about 100.00. I made a .22 semi auto pistol that uses the mag.

I heard about a 10/22 magazine that is straightline, not rotary. Supposed to be more reliable. Anybody know more??

The most reliable 10-22 mags are the factory 10rd black mags. I have the BX-25 not as reliable. I have many problems clear 10 rd mags.

Mark

ruger has made millions of those little guys, kinks are worked out 30 years ago

hi capacity mags jam all the time no matter what maker, have spent more on mags than i have on the dame rifle lol

As someone said, Butler Creek makes straight feed mags. Actually, they make two types; one has metal lips, which I think would be preferred if shooting a semi auto, and the other type has plastic lips and is called "Hot Lips" and is the type I use in my RPRR. They are available in 10, 15, and 25 round capacity, and I use the 25 round mag for target shooting and can't remember ever having a feeding issue, and they fit better into the magazine well, too. The plastic lips finally wore out after 15,000 rounds and I've replaced it and am not having any feeding problems. I like the straight feed system better than the rotary Ruger type.

Having worn out numerous butler creek hot lips I felt they feed better (smoother) than the steel lips but in my 10/22 they do have a limited lifetime. They start to wear and the rounds start out with the bullet presented too high at the nose to cycle properly. I don’t ever remember one jamming in the magazine. I literally have 10’s of thousands of rounds through them. Now I only run the steel lips. I did not have great luck with the ruger bx 25’s. Plenty of failure to feed. The clear butler creeks are great as you can easily see how many rounds you have left so you don’t end up empty when you are shooting a ton of ground squirrels

Reactions: Booner1334
I bought my Ruger Target rimfire rifle over Savage and CZ because of the rotary magazine...

Savage even created there own version just to compete.

No they only offer them in 25 round mags.
For 10 round mags I use Ruger magazines.

Another happy camper with 10 round Ruger mags. Clear and black ones. I did buy a 15 round to test. Have had a few issues with it.