• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alternative to case lube?

jeffm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2001
West Virginia
The only sourse of case lube locally is out. If I order it I won’t have it till next week. I want to load this weekend. What can I substitute for case lube? I‘m thinking about trying soap (would have to wash to remove). Any thoughts?

Re: Alternative to case lube?

What ever you use, if it doesn't get a case stuck in the die, make sure to clean your die before and after you use the temp lube. I myself wouldn't trust getting a case stuck. There has to be more than one gun store in your area.

I've heard of guys using a light rub of Crisco on the brass. I've also read about someone using some cooking oil mixed with something. I've never used it or tried it, but Pam or some other cooking spray might be worth a try. Put a little inside the die after you clean it. Whatever you do, clean out your die before and after use. do a google search or snipershide google search and look at older info. I know there's been some stuff posted on this topic.

Dillon's case lube is made from lanolin and rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. You can get both at most any drugstore. Make sure it's pure <span style="text-decoration: underline">anhydrous</span> lanolin (sometimes sold as nipple cream for nursing mothers) and 91% or better pure alcohol.

Try mixing at a ratio of 12:1 by weight to start. Weigh the alcohol and have it standing by in your final container, a spray bottle or whatever. Make sure there's enough remaining volume to accommodate the lanolin.

To weigh the lanolin, spoon it out onto a square of aluminum foil on your scale. It <span style="text-decoration: underline">is not</span> water soluble so try not to spill it, clean-up is a bitch. Once weighed, gather the foil up by the corners and dunk it into a pan of hot water. Careful not to let water get in with the lanolin. It melts at about 100-105°F so hot tapwater should be enough. When it melts, pour it into the alcohol and shake. Once it's emulsified, it should remain that way.

In my experience, Dillon's is second only to Imperial die wax so you might find you like this homemade stuff better than your old storebought brand. One peculiarity I should note, if the spray gets into the case necks, some powder granules will stick when you dump the charge. I was concerned this might have some small affect on the burn rate of those granules so to keep the spray out of the case neck, I line up my cases lying dress-right-dress on a sheet of newspaper and apply the spray angled slightly from the base side, spray once, roll the lot of them 180°, then spray the other side. But I don't full length size. If you <span style="text-decoration: underline">do</span> FLS, you might want the lube in the case neck.

Mr. Dobbs, That’s probably close to my recipe.. One table spoon to 16 oz.
I use a square Tupperware 12x6 with a lid. I Give them one light spray and
Roll them around a over each other with the lid on. Works very well.

Or better yet...do it LTR David's way...gallon ziplok bag...put a hundred or so in there and spray a few times...roll them around and dump out for the alcohol to evaporate. Very, very fast. After the first batch even less spray is necessary because some residue of the lube resides on the interior of the bag. If you add a tablespoon of castor oil to the mix you'll find it to be even better. JMHO

Former naval person,
HA! After grow’en up with that stuff I swore it would never be in my house!! (Big Grin)
I don’t recall seeing any for a long time....

Good post topic, never know when one has to "make do".....

I use One Shot but my back up is plain old boring RCBS lube...one bottle of that lousy sticky shit will last a couple of forevers.

In fact, I still have the bottle I started with over 30 years ago.

Had to use some a month ago when my One Shot ran out...thank God for tumblers.

For case lube, STP oil treatment was an old go-to for pad lubricating. Some FCSA loaders swear by Mobil 1 (any viscosity) for FLS fifties. I use Hornady One Shot or Imperial wax myself.

4 oz liquid lanolin and 20 oz 91% isopropyl alcohol. I don't know if you can get the liquid lanolin locally though drug or health store. I've heard of Pam in a pinch.