• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Am I Doing This Right? (Lots of questions)

Wilsun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Lincoln, Nebraska
New shooter here. I have a .308 700P with a SS10X??HD scope.

Recently started shooting at 300 yards. Here is how I've been going about it:

1) Zero the gun at 100 yards, unscrew the caps and reset them on the scope.

2) Back up to 300 yards. Based on the cheap ammo I've been testing with (factory remanufactured), I know that it drops around 9 inches at 300 yards.

3) 1 mil equals 3.6" at 100 yards. So 1 mil at 300 yards equals 3.6 x 3 = 10.8". The scope allows for 1/10 mil adjustments. So one "click" equals 1.08" at 300 yards.

4) Raise the elevation somewhere around 9 clicks +/- 1 click because 9 x 1.08" = 9.72". Fire three shots and see where they land with my spotting scope.

5) Make windage adjustments (and elevation adjustments, if necessary) based on the "1 click equals 1.08" at 300 yards".

6) Shoot another three shots, rinse and repeat until I'm hitting somewhere near the center.

Is this how it's done? Two variables that are hurting me:

1) I'm not using anywhere near match grade ammo. I'm in the process of handloading some 155 scenars with 45.7 grains of RL-15 per the recommendation of someone here on the hide.

2) My shooting technique could use a lot of work. I have an Army Field Manual on sniping that I've looked at and it's helped a little.

I heard that you want to squeeze the trigger at either the "top" or the "bottom" of your breath, and that it doesn't really matter as long as you are consistent.

My understanding is that the "top" of your breath is after you have inhaled, while the "bottom" is after you have exhaled. I've been shooting at the "bottom" of my breath for the past year and it's been great at 100 yards, but 300 is a challenge.

My goal: shoot at the informal 300 yard competition at the local gun club. After firing a total of maybe 20 shots at 300 yards, I'm getting shots within a 4" by 4" box on the target...minus a couple of flyers when I jerk the trigger.

Any advice? Is my math misguided? Is my thinking wrong?

The only real source of advice I have is on Sniper's Hide...

Come to think of it, I should just go to one of the 300 yard matches and pick the brains of the guys there for advice, too.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I just want to shoot respectably at 300 yards for the time being. If anyone knows of any good books or websites or courses that could help me, then that would also be appreciated.

Re: Am I Doing This Right? (Lots of questions)

If your getting trigger time and trying to get better you are doing it right

Your math is correct as far as I can tell (I'm a tad out of it). Make sure you always measure from the center of your 3 round group as well though. As for your shooting... Works on the basics first and foremost, it really doesn't matter when you pull the trigger so long as you pull it the same everytime. I pull at the bottom of my breath, in between heartbeats. My friend pulls halfway 'up' or halfway during his inhale. He inhales halfway, pulls the trigger, continues his inhale. I always use the center of my index finger in the middle of the trigger shoe and pull it parallel to the barrel, it's what works for me though.

Something you will always see people say in regards to precision shooting is consistency. Once you figure out what works for you, do it the same every single time. Pick up a box of 175gr FGMM for factory ammunition if your reloads don't get done in time. Also when reloading try the Amax, SMK and VLDs. SMKs tend to shoot well out of most rifles. Good luck and keep shooting.

I don't think that you said what kind of targets your shooting, but if you can see the bullet impact or the holes it makes adjust using your reticle. That's the beauty of a mil/mil optic. If your hitting 2.2 mils below your point of aim, dial on 2.2 mils of elevation.

The s-3 section on this website has some really good online videos as well as discussions about actually firing your weapon. Also, some hands on instruction is always great. I've taking a class with the rifles only guys and they are great. Jacob and Frank will teach you lots in a short amount of time. Their's was not the first I had been to, but I would say it was easily the best. I have been to a couple military schools on the subject and they are head and shoulders above them. Also, I can't say enough good things about Thunder Ranch and crew. A excellent place to go to learn and learn. Clint, Heidi and Randy will teach you all you can handle.

Check out JBM ballistics . It will allow you to produce a dope chart for your load, and greatly reduce the math.