• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Am I the only one that doesn't get the Fix Q?

FjallJager

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    Bolt handle is too small, stock butt plate is too small, cheek piece sucks.

Who did they make this for? I am 5'11 and 200 pounds. I felt like someone shoe horned a 308 into a Daisy Red Ryder, made from left over AR parts.

Anyone else not feeling it?

The execution on the Sig is much better.

It's a compromise make it smaller and lighter.
    Plain and simple.
    I am 6'2" 230lbs and can shoot a Cricket 22lr or my AR7 just fine, Is it the most comfortable hell no but the Q is leaps and bounds over those two.
    Learn the platform and adapt simple as that or move on to something else.
    It's not rocket science.

Heard about it watched a ton of guntubers review it, then found a LGS that had one handled it for 20 minutes and didn't care for it. Was shocked that so many guntubers didn't care for it. They usually fall over themselves to get sponsor money.

A buddy bought one and I shot it this morning. Really not my kind of rifle.

It isn't the only gun I don't care for, but I don't get the fandom.

I bought one of the big box APO 700 collab guns. I ended up enjoying the stock, but at least with the APO you can get your hand away from the trigger. I don't have mid-size hands and huge palms (like a gibbon), I felt like the Fix made me torque my wrist to shoot it.

Recoil is extreme for a 308, and while it is a light gun the butt design doesn't absorb recoil. It isn't big enough to work.

The brake on it is ok, but could be bigger. I am sure with a silencer it is better.

Heard about it watched a ton of guntubers review it, then found a LGS that had one handled it for 20 minutes and didn't care for it. Was shocked that so many guntubers didn't care for it. They usually fall over themselves to get sponsor money.

A buddy bought one and I shot it this morning. Really not my kind of rifle.

It isn't the only gun I don't care for, but I don't get the fandom.

I bought one of the big box APO 700 collab guns. I ended up enjoying the stock, but at least with the APO you can get your hand away from the trigger. I don't have mid-size hands and huge palms (like a gibbon), I felt like the Fix made me torque my wrist to shoot it.

Recoil is extreme for a 308, and while it is a light gun the butt design doesn't absorb recoil. It isn't big enough to work.

The brake on it is ok, but could be bigger. I am sure with a silencer it is better.

Don't take my comment the wrong way brother I'm not a fanboy either.
    My idea of a light weight packable rifle I allready have and love, it's a 6.5x47 in an XLR Carbon folder chassis with a 24" medium Palma barrel with a 3-18x scope but I think it's in the 12 pound range. That's a light rifle to me.
    If I want lighter with more punch I have a Tikka T3 lite in 270 win.

Reactions: 0Buck and secm
    I don’t get it either, especially for the price. It’s just stupid.

Reactions: moosemeat

Who did they make this for? I am 5'11 and 200 pounds. I felt like someone shoe horned a 308 into a Daisy Red Ryder, made from left over AR parts.

It’s not for everybody, but the design is interesting. Most people haven’t seen the Sig. I would hope they executed it well, they had the fix to benchmark. I wonder if Sig would have built the Cross if Q had never built the Fix?

To your gripes, it shouldn’t feel any smaller than a AR. Mine has a 14.5” LOP, and a cheek that goes higher than I need it. The cheek is also reversible and adjustable fore and aft, so if you were hanging off, the cheek was not properly adjusted for you. I’m a little taller than you are, and find it comfortable. Foldable, light weight, accurate.

Mine has a 16.5” proof carbon barrel in 6.5x47 on it. It weighs 8lb 11oz scooped and suppressed. I absolutely love it.

It’s cool to see someone trying new things but I’m not a fan of it, especially for what you can build at the same price. I do think the integrated receiver is a great idea, but could be executed better.

Reactions: Stoweit
    It’s not for everybody, but the design is interesting. Most people haven’t seen the Sig. I would hope they executed it well, they had the fix to benchmark. I wonder if Sig would have built the Cross if Q had never built the Fix?

Wasn't the Fix more or less invented when Brittingham, Lessard, Schafer, et al were still at SIG? Maybe I'm missing something (or maybe SIG was missing a lot of things, like non-disclosure, non-compete, and non-solicit clauses from its standard employee agreement :LOL:) .

Anyways, back to the original question - 15lb R700 clones are everywhere, and the Fix doesn't seem to have yet affected their availability. I see the Fix more like the modern lever-action rifle - easy to carry, maybe a bit hard to shoot, chambered in effective cartridges, and not really intended for putting 100+ rounds downrange in a single session. It's also demanding upon the operator, which is a novel concept in this day of "bullet golf" rigs.

At the very least, we're unlikely to see a Fix getting hauled around the range in a baby buggy.

Wasn't the Fix more or less invented when Brittingham, Lessard, Schafer, et al were still at SIG? Maybe I'm missing something (or maybe SIG was missing a lot of things, like non-disclosure, non-compete, and non-solicit clauses from its standard employee agreement :LOL:) .

Anyways, back to the original question - 15lb R700 clones are everywhere, and the Fix doesn't seem to have yet affected their availability. I see the Fix more like the modern lever-action rifle - easy to carry, maybe a bit hard to shoot, chambered in effective cartridges, and not really intended for putting 100+ rounds downrange in a single session. It's also demanding upon the operator, which is a novel concept in this day of "bullet golf" rigs.

At the very least, we're unlikely to see a Fix getting hauled around the range in a baby buggy.
    Certainly seems shady, but who knows. I definitely view mine through the prism of its design. I like how they did everything very different, and I like the resulting compactness and low weight. Mine is super accurate, and doesn’t recoil much at all.

I’ll be snagging a cross when I can as well. Just like the fix I’ll shit can the barrel and make it my own.

Certainly seems shady, but who knows. I definitely view mine through the prism of its design. I like how they did everything very different, and I like the resulting compactness and low weight. Mine is super accurate, and doesn’t recoil much at all.

I’ll be snagging a cross when I can as well. Just like the fix I’ll shit can the barrel and make it my own.

It's not necessarily a shady situation - it's common for someone comes up with an innovative design, the parent company doesn't want to do anything new, and a spin-off occurs of various types. Sometimes it's a formal release of IP, sometimes it's a bit loose, but I'm assuming that there wasn't a major disagreement or else we probably would have heard about a lawsuit (or maybe it got resolved out of court).

Doesn't much matter now; Q was first to market with a novel design, and now SIG will undercut them with a lower-cost product, and others will follow if the demand is strong enough. Very typical progression of events.

Where did you find an extension for your custom barrel - salvaged from the factory barrel?

The politics behind the rifle/company are the biggest detractors in my opinion.

Q's marketing stuff is fun - the industry could use a brash shit-talker, and largely Q has backed it up with innovative product. The only thing I've seen publicly that concerns me are the business dealings with Bartlein and Tooley. Those are two names I respect based upon personal experience and the reputation here on the Hide, and what I've heard feels just a bit too close to the shenanigans I've seen in the day job (auto industry).

The only thing I've seen publicly that concerns me are the business dealings with Bartlein and Tooley.

There’s a fine line between being an innovator and an asshole. The difference lies in how well you interact with other experts in areas where you are not..... so no thanks for me. I’ll take mainstream commercialized version for $1500 please Alex.

Reactions: Stoweit
    There’s a fine line between being an innovator and an asshole. The difference lies in how well you interact with other experts in areas where you are not..... so no thanks for me. I’ll take mainstream commercialized version for $1500 please Alex.
    Innovator and asshole? Fine line? I didn’t know those two things existed on the same spectrum. Oh that’s right, they don’t, you can absolutely excel at both.

Yeah I can’t argue with that, except the better you are at being an asshole the larger the crowd that doesn’t give a shit how innovative you are.
    All I know is that if it's a company that is run by Kevin B. then I won't be buying it no matter how cool it may be.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he has little to no connection with the company these days, so that’s a step in the right direction.

It is weird... You have to have one to understand. I could not give a shit about the man or the company. But the gun is cool.

I owned a Blaser K95 for 10 years. I had 3 barrels, it shot very well but, it kicked like a donkey in the 30-06 barrel. The other barrels were 243 and 222. All barrels shot as well as a 5 pound gun can shoot. It looked amazing, carrying it was nothing but I never warmed up to it.

I don't care for the ergonomics of the Fix.

I like my rifles to be comfortable and accurate, and my experience with a friend's Fix was not inspiring.

It grouped around 1 moa for us, which for his use as a hunting gun was perfectly adequate. It's light for a reason. Compromises were made to make it more comfortable to carry and pack into a hunt but that necessarily makes it less comfortable to shoot tiny groups with. I felt like I was fighting the rifle the entire time I was shooting groups. It's front heavy but light, which means more that input from the rear of the stock translates into more muzzle movement (and consequently more optic movment) than a heavier, more balanced precision rifle.

Q knew what they were doing when they built this gun. It's designed to be a light gun designed for a specific purpose. To a lesser extent I see the same thought process with the Sig Cross.

If you're like me and you don't mind carrying around extra weight in the form of a precision rifle, will be disappointed. If you want an uber-precise rifle that will rival a custom action with a hand-fit quality barrel, this is not that gun. I'm not a small guy and I'm in good shape, and so maneuvering my precision artillery piece into a good shooting position is not a concern for me.

If however, you want light, modern, and cool factor, it's hard to beat.

I think the Q Fix will fit more into my needs/wants when the 8.6 Creedmoor comes out. 6.5 Creedmoor is stop gap I think for a Fix, and 300 BLK Mini Fix is just a fun range toy. An 8.6 Creedmoor Subsonic (338) and a can, with a 12 inch carbon fiber barrel with a bolt that can be backpacked for hunting, that would definitely interest me.

I've got a MRAD 6.5 Creedmoor that I'm learning long range on, have 300 BLK AR Pistol Truck Gun, and think 6mm ARC is the direction that more AR's will move to. Can't wait for the Barrett 6mm ARC REC7 DI to become available for civilians.

Here's article I thought helps explain the fix. Doesn't matter if you like or don't like Kevin. Second link is video last night on the can (the Q Pork Chop) that will be coming out for the 8.6 Creedmoor. I also think the FIX is meant to be partnered with a can, hence the cherry bomb, which is really designed for purpose of a can only. Q sells you the firearm, and a can, and makes more $$$.

What did Tim the Toolman Allen always say "More power argh argh argh argh!"

I got mine, its my first bolt action. Aside from the heavy bolt lift (it is a very early model) it is now my favorite gun, with the big butt pad I have no issues shooting it in 308. I recently ordered a 6.5 Proof research barrel for it as well. Very happy with it so far.

Perhaps it is as that's the way it appears but it's too early to say for certain give it 6-12 months after Cross's begin shipping and we'll have a good idea of what to expect from them.

One thing that's noticeable at this point is the Fix having heavier bolt lift than other rifles the Cross included.

gif-1.gif

gif-3.gif

If you watch people running the bolt on the Fix many have to place their thumb on top of the bolt shroud to gain more leverage for lifting the bolt they also tend to break cheek weld alot and the front end of the rifle tends to move around sometimes the bipod even lifts off the ground which is going to cause you to have to rebuild your firing position in between every shot and is going to be slow and a PTA.

Perhaps it is as that's the way it appears but it's too early to say for certain give it 6-12 months after Cross's begin shipping and we'll have a good idea of what to expect from them.

One thing that's noticeable at this point is the Fix having heavier bolt lift than other rifles the Cross included.

View attachment 7395237
    View attachment 7395243
    If you watch people running the bolt on the Fix many have to place their thumb on top of the bolt shroud to gain more leverage for lifting the bolt they also tend to break cheek weld alot and the front end of the rifle tends to move around sometimes the bipod even lifts off the ground which is going to cause you to have to rebuild your firing position in between every shot and is going to be slow and a PTA.

That may be before they released a fix for the heavy bolt lift, although can't be too certain.

Reactions: roamin
    Haven’t handled one so take this with a grain of salt. But I love the concept of the Fix and the Cross. I will own a cross one day and maybe a Fix. For a guy like me that hunts more than target shoots (unless it’s rimfire), this checks all the right boxes.

I was tempted to build a 6.5 Grendel bolt action AR15 upper and try and make a poor mans mini-fix but the price point of the Cross is making that not likely to happen.

If Sig ever makes a “mini” cross it would rock as a kids starter hunting gun or a lightweight short action varmint/predator gun.

It's not for everyone and that's fine. But it checked a lot of boxes for me.

It's light weight, slim, and trim. I like the modularity of the rail/handguard.

The stock is much slimmer than most other chassis and the hinge mechanism is small. When folded it takes up very little space. This was important for me as it fits really well in my dry bag when hunting from my kayak. I can even fold it up but it in my backpack with out it sticking out.

I hunted a lot with 6.8SPC AR15, never wanted to step up to the AR10, it's a quite a bit heaver and larger platform. I can get the energy of the AR10 platform in a smaller, lighter, and more accurate package.

Like I said, it fits a niche for certain people, I think it's a great rifle. I don't think it's any easier or harder to shoot than 6.5lb pencil barreled hunting rifle. Recoil is similar. Although I agree the stock recoil pad left a lot to be desired.

That may be before they released a fix for the heavy bolt lift, although can't be too certain.

Even in the most recent reviews I still see people placing their thumb on top of the bolt shroud to gain leverage to lift the bolt.

Even in the most recent reviews I still see people placing their thumb on top of the bolt shroud to gain leverage to lift the bolt.

We shall see, I sent mine in yesterday. If that's the only quirk of the rifle i'll end up just throwing a delrin ball on the end and just deal with it, at the end of the day it functions.

Wow that dude didn’t like it at all. One of the most brutal reviews I’ve seen of the Fix. When he said something to the effect of being innovative for the sake of being innovative isn’t necessarily better I got a chuckle.

Having said that. I think a decent recoil pad, suppressor, and one of those precision AR15 grips that places your finger in the right spot would help solve quite a few of that guys issues.

Wow that dude didn’t like it at all. One of the most brutal reviews I’ve seen of the Fix. When he said something to the effect of being innovative for the sake of being innovative isn’t necessarily better I got a chuckle.

Having said that. I think a decent recoil pad, suppressor, and one of those precision AR15 grips that places your finger in the right spot would help solve quite a few of that guys issues.
    Safe to say he doesn’t get it 😂

How many steps does it take to run a bolt? Holy hell, that guy sure makes it difficult.

Reactions: accurate_okie
    I had opportunity to shoot a Q-Fix at the range one day. Someone showed up with it and was super proud of it. They are a neat little gun to be sure. I was impressed how well the compensator worked, the .308 was soooo loud, but hardly any recoil from such a light gun. Bolt lift was very heavy. Trigger was decent, I don't know if it could be adjusted. For the price I'll probably never own one. But I also can't fold my short barreled .308 in half and stick it in my hiking pack.

I think the rifle fills a lot of voids for us looking for a very unique design (something different from decades of boring...), a light weight platform, good optics mount capabilities, SR25 magazine capability and being able to complete a barrel swap in the field with a few tools.

There are other rifles out there that "do the same thing" at half the cost. For some of us...we just want something a little more unique and don't care about the cost to get there.

I'm probably also a small percentage of members here who spend most of their time behind a semi-auto vs a bolt gun (could be way off here). The fix is one only two bolt guns I own, the other being a Bergara 22LR sitting in a Q Side Chick chassis. I wanted something I could grab out of the safe, weigh in at under 10 lbs with optic, bipod, mag, ammo on board, and hit the high altitude mountains of Idaho for a hunt.

Last edited:
    Q's marketing stuff is fun - the industry could use a brash shit-talker, and largely Q has backed it up with innovative product. The only thing I've seen publicly that concerns me are the business dealings with Bartlein and Tooley. Those are two names I respect based upon personal experience and the reputation here on the Hide, and what I've heard feels just a bit too close to the shenanigans I've seen in the day job (auto industry).
    Why does the industry need someone to disparage mfgs and ridicule customers?

Reactions: KnowNothing256
    My friend has one. Most of what I dislike about it Sig fixed. I'll probably buy the Sig once the 6.5 is available.

Been shooting/hunting with my Fix, for over 2 years. It's my go to rifle, enough so, that I'm going to sell off most of my collection of custom bolt guns.
    It's light and handy, but I did have to "learn" to shoot it. I also had to learn to shoot my ULA 308, which has unbelievable amount of recoil prone. The Fix looks like a heavy prone gun, but in reality, it's a light weight hunting rig that will frustrate you, until you treat it like an Autoloader.

I bought a Cross this past Sunday and like it (only fingerblasted, plan on shooting this weekend) I see pros/cons on both examples of the hybrid/unibody design.
    More on that in the Cross thread.

Lot of BDS (brittingham derangement syndrome) on all the forums....I could care less about the shit talking, the dude makes good stuff.

Last edited:
    Wasn't there talk that the Cross was in development well before the Q Fix came out? Wonder how KB got a complete new design rifle to market so fast?

Just because the Fix came out sooner doesn't mean the ideas from the Fix didn't come from Sig.

Reactions: M4guru
    I read on the interweb, that the Sig design was 1st and then shelved for whatever reasons....can't confirm as fact.

ETA: I think I read it here on SH in the Fix thread

Probably shelved cause the designer left with Kevin LOL. However it shook out I think we can agree there’s some shared DNA here.

They’re both cool guns. First to market certainly matters, quality matters, availability matters, value proposition matters, I’m sure both guns will be fine in the market. I’ve got them both. There is no doubt in my mind the Fix is a “better” gun from a quality standpoint, hence it costing 2.5x more. There are some features on the Cross that I think are improvements over the Fix (I hate the Fix stock, personally) and it will certainly matter to some people that it's $2000 less and on the shelves.

This will probably make for great memes and people will buy the one they were gonna buy anyways.

I preordered The Fix in 308 right when they came out with the preorder. I like the rifle for it being a lightweight hunting rig. With the thin recoil pad and no silencer, it has a fair amount of recoil but, with a silencer it’s not bad at all. I have had mine for a couple of years now and I like it in 308 but it does show your weakness’s in fundamentals. I can only get 168 and 175 FGMM rounds to group in it so far which are not ideal for hunting rifle. I have taken it out 1150 yds with the 16” barrel and let me tell you, that was a challenge for me. I haven’t run into problems with the magazine choice and understand why it was chosen but might prefer a better mag. The barrel swap option is great and pretty quick to accomplish with hand tools and it turns out all I had to was adjust my windage at 100yds between all the barrel swaps I have done. I also don't have to put my thumb on top if to get it to cycle; I just do it normal.

I bought a 6CM barrel and started to see the down fall of the rifle. If I run a long HPBT bullet in it like a Berger 105 I have to run it fast to get it to feed but it mangles the hollow point and won’t feed slow. If I run a polymer tip bullet like the Hornady 108 then it will run better because the tip has some give in it. It turns out the rifle was optimized for a 308 and apparently does not do well with the long skinny bullets of the 6.5CM and the 6CM. Apparently the suggestion is to run these in a shorter OAL, defeating the purpose of these rounds. I have also found that my 6CM barrel gets real sticky approaching 3000 FPS and greater trying to run 87gr HPBT bullets.

I am willing to try the SIG Cross but I’m going to have to wait for gen 2 or 3 because we all know how SIG works.

Shot a Fix sometime back and though it was pretty was not that impressed at least in 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of kick and awkward ergos. Shot a prototype Cross a couple of weeks ago and though because it is light it has a fair bit of recoil (also 6.5) the ergos are vastly better. Got 2/3 at 982 yards with factory ammo Sig ammo on a 1 MOA plate (gun was one of the Sig engineers) so for a light gun it definitely works.

Nope not in the least bit. I really like everything about the gun. But I'm built like a 45ACP, short and fat 5'6" 185.

I read on the interweb, that the Sig design was 1st and then shelved for whatever reasons....can't confirm as fact.

ETA: I think I read it here on SH in the Fix thread

Found this on a recent the_official_Q Instagram post... Looks like Kevin is naming names.
    IMG_3182.jpg

View attachment 7395237
    View attachment 7395243

Some folks were having an issue with heavy bolt lift but they just had to send the bolt back to Q for "the fix.":giggle: