• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Amax jump

Re: Amax jump

I keep all my amaxes at maglength with excellent accuracy. The only two projectiles Ive used close to the lands was an SMK and Bergers.

Pretty much what bdh308 just said.

If i loaded my 155 A-maxs close to the lands my OAL would be stupidly long, so i just stick to the AI mag length.

Future Berger VLD handloads will be set to optimum length for long range shots but obviously hand fed

i loaded some up touching the lands in my factory bbl, and still have plenty of mag length left...about how much should i look at backing it off...factory round shoots better...trying to replicate it for little less cost...155 amax by the way

I have found with my 7mmSAUM and 6.5x57AI that 60 thou is the sweet spot, These are hunting loads so didn't try jamming them in the lands, went from 10 thou off to 120 when testing
smile.gif

Mine shot the best between 15-25 thou off the lands in several bullets across several calibers. The Amax is pretty forgiving for seating depth unless you touch/jam the load. Then you're screwed.

A-Max's and SMK's can produce great results loading to factory length and not worrying about the jump to lands. This is due to their Tangent O-Give.

Projectiles with a Secant O-Give or more sensitive in their relationship to the lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A-Max's and SMK's can produce great results loading to factory length and not worrying about the jump to lands. This is due to their Tangent O-Give.

Projectiles with a Secant O-Give or more sensitive in their relationship to the lands. </div></div>

This is a good topic. I just purchased a GAP M40A3 and I was checking my bullets to the lands. With a 168 SMK it was 2.866 so I was going to start the back off at 2.850 and see what I get. What you are saying is I could probably start the process a little shorter, say 2.830 and work up to the 2.850 and see what the sweat spot is. Sounds like a reloading adventure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is a good topic. I just purchased a GAP M40A3 and I was checking my bullets to the lands. With a 168 SMK it was 2.866 so I was going to start the back off at 2.850 and see what I get. What you are saying is I could probably start the process a little shorter, say 2.830 and work up to the 2.850 and see what the sweat spot is. Sounds like a reloading adventure. </div></div>

You won't know until you try them, you have to start somewhere. Start at 2.850 and work your way down a bit to see.

When you guys talk OAL dimensions are you referring to an average length? I haven't found any bullet, whether polymer tipped or HP, that measures the same length. Always varies a few thousandths.

When measuring from the ogive, given generous magazine dimensions, a mean average OAL to fit the box makes sense while experimenting with jump distances to where the ogive contacts the rifling, right? Too little jump must leave one or two too long to fit in the magazine at times, correct?

I personally take an average measure around a mean of 2.820" which fits all my bolt guns though is a little snug in my AR-10! Those latter get bumped down to 2.800"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A-Max's and SMK's can produce great results loading to factory length and not worrying about the jump to lands. This is due to their Tangent O-Give.

Projectiles with a Secant O-Give or more sensitive in their relationship to the lands. </div></div>

Amax is a Secant Ogive bullet, it's not a VLD.

A-MAX®

Features:

* Ultra-low drag tip
* Aerodynamic secant ogive delivers flat trajectories
* Excellent uniformity and concentricity
* Jacket precision drawn for unequaled consistency
Delivers consistent accuracy at all ranges

*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large

http://www.hornady.com/store/A-MAX/

I would not have ever thought it was, but there it is.

I load all my AMAX at .010 off the lands

I had the opposite results (this has been 4 years ago or so since I tried the Amax in 308). My Hart barreled rifle with the M852 match chamber (throat modified for 168 and 175 SMKs) didn't like the Amax at mag length at all but they shot better in my lighter weight 308 with the short throated palma chamber, suggesting that they liked a shorter jump.

I have shot a lot of the 75 gr 223s in two factory barrel Savages and a tight chambered AR with a LW 8 twist stainless barrel with good results by jamming them into the lands (the savages are 9 twists and are lasers to 600 but fall apart at 1k and the AR does pretty good to 1k, but not as good as with 80 grain SMKs).

Based on what you guys are saying, I may have given up on the 308s too soon. I was using Varget in the 308s, maybe I shousd have tried something slower like 4064 or RL15.

I was not getting very good results with the .208 Amax's in my WM loaded to mag. length. I took Rob's advice and tried them .010 off the lands and they tightened up a lot. Still not as accurate as my best SMK load, but still in development.

I plan to play with seating depth more when I can get back into my range.

John

*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large game"

Tell that to the dead dear and many others that its not recommended.

Im sure in tight bore chambers the amax works well towards the land but with my off the shelf chamber they work better at mag length for me.

I just started working new loads for my .308 re-barreled rifle, it has a palma chamber measured 2.188 from Ogave to back of case dimension. The first range day, with 178 Amax's I seated 2.180, 2.184, 2.186 and 2.188, The 2.188 right at the lands shot the best group and had the lowest ES. I will repeat this soon but that is what worked for me first time out.

In my Savage 10FP, 168gr Amax & SMKs, very well at 2.805" The SMKs are .010" off, the Amaxs are .050" off.

Maglength 4shot group @ 200yds...Overall lenght of 2.820. I like having extra rounds in my mag as does the rifle. I guess if I was shooting benchrest instead of a tactical application I would opt for the almighty lands but not in this inlarged factory chamber.

DSC01439.jpg