• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ambi selector question

750SpiritRdr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
Brazoria, Tx
A lefty here changing out the selector for an ambi. My question is should I change the detent and spring also? The pack came with a new so called nickel-teflon coated detent and spring.
Just leave the old one in or change out for the new?

Re: Ambi selector question

I see no reason NOT to install the new detent and spring that came with your new ambi-selector. Just keep your old parts just in case the new ones don't function properly or for spares in a pinch. Always good to have extra small parts for the AR handy.
wink.gif

This ambi safety crap on an AR is all fine and good until you go to take it off safe and the *$&W@# thing won't move because the other lever is hitting your trigger finger knuckle.

If you want to use your thumb, just go lefty. Then like the other whatever percent, your *other hand* just learns to use the trigger finger of your support hand to on/off the safety.

Either that, or get flatter than GI profiles (might work) or use an odd knuckle-away-from-the-grip hold that will probably be instantly un-learned by either hand as soon as something goes "BANG" near you.

Tried 'em, don't like 'em. The AR is NOT a 1911 pistol. THOSE work (but require a holster that prevents bumping them off safe).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This ambi safety crap on an AR is all fine and good until you go to take it off safe and the *$&W@# thing won't move because the other lever is hitting your trigger finger knuckle.

If you want to use your thumb, just go lefty. Then like the other whatever percent, your *other hand* just learns to use the trigger finger of your support hand to on/off the safety.

Either that, or get flatter than GI profiles (might work) or use an odd knuckle-away-from-the-grip hold that will probably be instantly un-learned by either hand as soon as something goes "BANG" near you.

Tried 'em, don't like 'em. The AR is NOT a 1911 pistol. THOSE work (but require a holster that prevents bumping them off safe). </div></div>

It sounds like he bought the Battle Arms Development BADASS selector, which comes with a new stainless detent and spring (which, I would install with the selector). The BADASS system has changable levers and the right side can be a short, short-thin, standard-thin, standard, crank, short crank, etc. The short ans short-thin levers address the knuckle problem. They also make a 45 degree short throw selector that fixes the knuckle problem as well and uses the changable selector levers.