• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report American Gunner 6.5 creed

mheimer_45

Life’s tougher if your stupid
Minuteman
May 19, 2013
NW Kansas
Anybody ever shoot the American gunner line? I’ve got a new 6.5 semi and was thinking about using this for sight in and light prairie dog hunting and just having some factory ammo on hand. I reload for my 6.5 bolt gun. I can buy this for $.69 around. I don’t think I can reload it that cheap if I factor in my time.

While I have not used it in a semi both my dad and my brother get sub-1/2 MOA groups with it out of a Browning X-Bolt and a Ruger Precision Rifle. If I might ask where did you find it for that cheap?

Reactions: VP47PPC
I used it for initial sight in and it worked just fine. For that price it's great ammo...

I use it for practice ammo on barricades out to 500 yards. It's pretty slow out of my barrel, but shoots really well. Sportsmans Warehouse has 200 round cans for $140.

Reactions: Strike_out
Ya I know SW has it for that price. I just wanted opinions before I bought that much. I’ve been burned before. I’ve got a whole case of fgmm that both my 308s HATE.

That's really odd that your 308 won't shoot FGMM. Every 308 I own loves it.

Anyway, a friend also shoots American Gunner and has very good luck with it out of his Bergara.

Reactions: Strike_out
I got 100 rounds to try out of a couple rifles and it shot well. I’m actually going to order a few thousand rounds to use for practice ammo after trying it.

I wouldn’t shoot a match with it unless it was my only option but for factory ammo it shoots great and you can’t load ammo for what you can buy this stuff for.

I use it for practice ammo on barricades out to 500 yards. It's pretty slow out of my barrel, but shoots really well. Sportsmans Warehouse has 200 round cans for $140.

A guy I know showed up with this ammo in a savage he spent $280 on and it shot way better than I thought it/the rifle too, should have! Rarely does anything impress me anymore but...

I've shot a bit of it, averaged about 2770, sd was decent, not singly digits but not bad. SW had it onsale at Christmas, it was about 55 cents a round, I bought 800 rounds.

Reactions: Hoot352
Getting 1/2 to 3/4 moa in my Tikka CTR. Chrono numbers are low teens (12-13fps SD). 2560ish from a 20”, 2680ish from 24” (factory tikka barrels)

For the price, i shoot two boxes for plinking and use the brass. Stuffs pretty damn good for not being list as match. No issues at 840 yards

Huge shoutout to OG10. He sent me a half box of ammo just to try to see if my gun liked it. I offered to by a box or two to make it worth his time but he wouldn’t let me. Thanks again. Got it today now only if this monsoon would go away

I just posted this in another thread. My tikka definitely likes it:
TACA1_100.JPG

Glad you got them, hope they work well.ps dont hate the rain you might need it later lol.

I've had incredible results from American Gunner stuff. .3-.5" at 100 yard groups or better. They seem to be temperature sensitive, as my zero at 70 degrees For was quite a bit off my 30 degree zero.
I shot them (they were my only choice as I still haven't found a great load for my RPR) in an f class match. I didn't come in last, even for my first ever shooting competition, but only because my buddy was shooting a 308 m70. ?

Reactions: Bender
My RPR seems to like them. I bought two 200rd boxes. This group was after 20-30rd string with a HOT can. I returned my scope to zero and wanted to make sure my zero stopped worked.... it did, and the American Gunner 140 shot amazing.
Again, hot barrel/can and gusty 12-30mph full value winds.
0083F896-D898-42E6-B0A7-AEBA56D37E55.jpeg

Reactions: ViP
My question is.... how can I replicate this load? What bullet and powder combo is it? I have scoured the web but to no avail.... I just want to shoot this load with no development.

Or something that will work with my brass I now have....

My trued howa shot 1.5” with this stuff. Now my 6.5 dpms hovered around 1”. Ordered a case for my Grendel and it shoots 1.5-2” were as hornady black will hover around .75”

I just purchased some of this ammo in the 200 round ammo can. It shoots about 1moa for me. After firing a few rounds I pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel and there was sticks of powder scattered randomly down the length of the barrel. Never had that issue before. Wondering if I got a lot number with bad powder. When I get a chance I will post lot number on here.

Reactions: Bender
I’ve ordered about 1000 rds of this American Gunner 140gr Ammo from SW (in 6.5CM) and in my Savage, it shoots nice tiny groups at 100 and does alright at further distances too. Yes, definitely temp sensitive and I’d prefer more velocity, but for the $, I think they’re great! I use them for long range practice and in some local long range matches. Here’s some random pics from shooting this ammo...
First pic is at 1030 yds
Second pic is at 100 yds
Third pic is at 400 yds
Fourth pic is at 800 yds

Attachments

• DD5C6616-8380-43A6-B597-E1A47F885064.jpeg
    DD5C6616-8380-43A6-B597-E1A47F885064.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 125
  • C070FBB1-CDFD-457E-964D-9420B3C90788.jpeg
    C070FBB1-CDFD-457E-964D-9420B3C90788.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 129
  • E63467C4-8839-4821-8FA7-214E8704E652.jpeg
    E63467C4-8839-4821-8FA7-214E8704E652.jpeg
    819.8 KB · Views: 132
  • B874E236-8678-4BD1-A7DB-FE426523525D.jpeg
    B874E236-8678-4BD1-A7DB-FE426523525D.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 98
I’ve ordered about 1000 rds of this American Gunner 140gr Ammo from SW (in 6.5CM) and in my Savage, it shoots nice tiny groups at 100 and does alright at further distances too. Yes, definitely temp sensitive and I’d prefer more velocity, but for the $, I think they’re great! I use them for long range practice and in some local long range matches. Here’s some random pics from shooting this ammo...
First pic is at 1030 yds
Second pic is at 100 yds
Third pic is at 400 yds
Fourth pic is at 800 yds

anyone know the G7 BC?

My AI AT likes it a lot. Shoots about 0.3-0.5 MOA groups. For my batch the SD wasn't great and groups kind of fell apart at 1000 yards. At shorter ranges though where the SD wasn't as critical it was hammering. Like some of you mentioned, I wouldn't use it for a match, but for general shooting and practice it's really hard to beat for the price.

Shot it in a match today out to a mile. The ES/SD definitely hurt me on a couple of targets--for instance, on one target I missed a tiny bit right, corrected.. and then the next one it was several feet low. Same hold for a third shot and good hit.

Out of my rifle I get an SD of about 33 FPS, ES of over 80. But it prints about .4MOA at 100.

Reactions: lash
That’s
Shot it in a match today out to a mile. The ES/SD definitely hurt me on a couple of targets--for instance, on one target I missed a tiny bit right, corrected.. and then the next one it was several feet low. Same hold for a third shot and good hit.

Out of my rifle I get an SD of about 33 FPS, ES of over 80. But it prints about .4MOA at 100.

That’s about what I’m getting to. Great value running a 24” barrel 9.1 mild at 1000yrds and shoots good for being factory ammo.

I shot about 60 rounds this weekend at 300 yrds with this stuff and held ¼ - ½ moa all day.. needless to say, I'm super happy with it. And definitely hard to beat for the price of factory ammo. My BC had user entered data on the round shooting it's Average velocity is slightly under what the box specifies. I used their data and got a perfect dope first try.. i might of got lucky there. The oal of the cartridge has some variance. When closing my bolt, some rounds close without interference others engage the rifling slightly upon closing. Id estimate about .005 of variation there. I had LRI do my barrel work so i trust they cut the chamber properly.
IMG_20180826_171654.jpg
IMG_20180826_171703.jpg

Reactions: ViP
Anybody ever shoot the American gunner line? I’ve got a new 6.5 semi and was thinking about using this for sight in and light prairie dog hunting and just having some factory ammo on hand. I reload for my 6.5 bolt gun. I can buy this for $.69 around. I don’t think I can reload it that cheap if I factor in my time.

I just had Beanland fit a Bartlein M24 contour barrel on my rig chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. My son had left some American Gunner with me last time he was home to visit so I shot a few rounds to zero and fireform some brass. Bottom line is four 5-shot groups averaged .478”. Not really sure I’m going to be able to improve on that with handloads. Of the four groups, two of them were in the .3s and one in the .4s. Had it not been for one flyer in one group, they would have averaged in the high .3s or low .4s.

Out of my son’s CTR, it will keep 10 shots a little under MOA.

John

s0ldrA.jpg

GbNZxI.jpg

I just had Beanland fit a Bartlein M24 contour barrel on my rig chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. My son had left some American Gunner with me last time he was home to visit so I shot a few rounds to zero and fireform some brass. Bottom line is four 5-shot groups averaged .478”. Not really sure I’m going to be able to improve on that with handloads. Of the four groups, two of them were in the .3s and one in the .4s. Had it not been for one flyer in one group, they would have averaged in the high .3s or low .4s.

Out of my son’s CTR, it will keep 10 shots a little under MOA.

John

Have you tried it past 100 yards? The stuff shoots great in my TAC A1 at 100 yards but when shooting at 200 it opened up much more than I expected. I still like the ammo and will shoot it to work on fundamentals at 100 yards, but it was frustrating at 200. I'm much happier with Prime ammo at 200 right now. Still need to get in to developing my own load though as well, now that I have about 200 pieces of Hornady brass sitting around from shooting (and another 2 cans of 200 waiting to be shot).

Wow...those results look pretty decent. I was shopping 6.5 CM last evening and almost bought a few cases of 140 Gr FMJ S&B @ 57.9 Cents per. with free shipping.
But these A.Gunners look solid for just a bit more $

Have you tried it past 100 yards? The stuff shoots great in my TAC A1 at 100 yards but when shooting at 200 it opened up much more than I expected. I still like the ammo and will shoot it to work on fundamentals at 100 yards, but it was frustrating at 200. I'm much happier with Prime ammo at 200 right now. Still need to get in to developing my own load though as well, now that I have about 200 pieces of Hornady brass sitting around from shooting (and another 2 cans of 200 waiting to be shot).

Only at 100 so far. Won’t have opportunity for a few days.

John

American Gunner shoots very well. 2650 FPS out of my tikka car 24” and 2700 FPS our of my bartlein 26”. Very consistent to 825 yds which is as far as have shot.

I’ve prolly got 200 175s and 100 168s left. It’s my “friend” ammo that I let my friends shoot when they think they can outshoot me with my own gun when I’m using my handloads. Lol! Only been burned twice and each time was against a woman. I was focused on other things.

So I tried out the Hornady Black 6.5 Creedmoor (as far as I can find the Black is pretty much an identical load to the American Gunner) yesterday out of my rifle. It was 30 degrees out, and out of a 22" barrel I was getting 2506 for a muzzle velocity. 5 round groups and every shot was touching on each group. Shoots slow at that temp, but was really consistent. I was able to ring steel consistently at 1000 yards once I trued the dope on my rifle. I'm really impressed with this ammo other than it shoots slow. I agree with you guys that are saying it must be a temperature sensitive powder. I can't wait for a 70 degree day to get out and shoot and see how it does in warmer weather.

So I tried out the Hornady Black 6.5 Creedmoor (as far as I can find the Black is pretty much an identical load to the American Gunner) yesterday out of my rifle. It was 30 degrees out, and out of a 22" barrel I was getting 2506 for a muzzle velocity. 5 round groups and every shot was touching on each group. Shoots slow at that temp, but was really consistent. I was able to ring steel consistently at 1000 yards once I trued the dope on my rifle. I'm really impressed with this ammo other than it shoots slow. I agree with you guys that are saying it must be a temperature sensitive powder. I can't wait for a 70 degree day to get out and shoot and see how it does in warmer weather.

I shot 60 rounds of the American Gunner out of my buddies RPR that I put a 24" Proof SS prefit on over the weekend. It was also slow but shot great. 1/2moa or better once I adjusted the diopter to my eye. Pictured below is the 10 round string I ran over the chrono, pretty surprising for cheap ammo.

I shot some through my AXMC 6.5 Creedmoor barrel (24" bartlein) and Christensen MPR (22") in the summer and it was running 2650-2675 which is still lower than the box velocity in two good barrels, but it could just be the lots.

Once this Proof barrel speeds up and with summer temps I bet it's closer to 2700fps for sure.

Reactions: britneymadz
I shot 60 rounds of the American Gunner out of my buddies RPR that I put a 24" Proof SS prefit on over the weekend. It was also slow but shot great. 1/2moa or better once I adjusted the diopter to my eye. Pictured below is the 10 round string I ran over the chrono, pretty surprising for cheap ammo.

I shot some through my AXMC 6.5 Creedmoor barrel (24" bartlein) and Christensen MPR (22") in the summer and it was running 2650-2675 which is still lower than the box velocity in two good barrels, but it could just be the lots.

Once this Proof barrel speeds up and with summer temps I bet it's closer to 2700fps for sure.

Mine was also a new barrel so it should speed up a little. Once the temps warm up I'm guessing I'll be close to 2600-2650 in warm weather.

I think I once heard somewhere that hornady black from academy might be the same load recipe as this American gunner. Can anybody confirm?

I think I once heard somewhere that hornady black from academy might be the same load recipe as this American gunner. Can anybody confirm?

Same bullet and from what I found it's listed 2690fps just like the American Gunner. Not sure why Hornady doesn't just market it themselves like that. They also do a 6mm Creedmoor Black load with the 105gr BTHP but don't offer an American Gunner 6mm load.

Cool...
I normally wait until academy has them for 5 bucks off a box and then stock up on It! I guess I could buy American gunner without having to wait for a sale since it's already cheap, but I wouldn't be saving on shipping like I do with black! Just a thought for others who may find it convenient as well.