• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report American Gunner 6.5 creed

Cool...
I normally wait until academy has them for 5 bucks off a box and then stock up on It! I guess I could buy American gunner without having to wait for a sale since it's already cheap, but I wouldn't be saving on shipping like I do with black! Just a thought for others who may find it convenient as well.

Check out Sportsmans Warehouse. $140 for 200 rounds and free shipping

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...nady-american-gunner-bulk-rifle-ammo/p/p43934

Just ran across this at SW today for $140 and picked-up a box of 200. Glad to find it does seem to be performing for you guys. Hopefully it will like my RPR as well. If the snow isn't too bad this weekend I can go try it out... I should have started this new obsession in the Spring!

Runs 2659 with an sd of 20 out of. My 22" proof. Its shooting in the. 7s for me. I can go around 4/5 on beer cans at the 400yd line with. Great way to fireform brass

Oh ok. I was at DA of 150 and temp of 30 degrees. It was also a brand new barrel so I'm sure I had several things working against me to give me that low of a velocity...
Also, out to 400 at least the dope matches eldm closely. Its. 3 mil off at 100 and runs about 12 fps slower but with 2x the sd in my rifle.

Got out and tried the American Gunner today. No time for warm up, just dropped my 12" steel target at 550 yards and went 42/55 once dialed on target. I pulled a couple, and the wind kept changing, but it did seem to have multiple flyers that just plain missed the plate. I'm probably hoping for too much. Regardless, I'm going to do side-by-side comparison once UPS brings me more Hornady 140 gr ELD-M, and the weather permits.

Got out and tried the American Gunner today. No time for warm up, just dropped my 12" steel target at 550 yards and went 42/55 once dialed on target. I pulled a couple, and the wind kept changing, but it did seem to have multiple flyers that just plain missed the plate. I'm probably hoping for too much. Regardless, I'm going to do side-by-side comparison once UPS brings me more Hornady 140 gr ELD-M, and the weather permits.

Once I got diealed, mine were all hits. I was shooting 450 though, on a 12x12. I also don't recall exactly how many rounds I sent, but for me the ammo performed well.

AG ammo must be very good. My new Seekins SP-10 did 3.4" at 600 yards on its initial firing - 5 rounds. I guess I'll have to clean and inspect it now...

Barrel break in and all...

I have been shooting this ammo for a year and a half. A couple thousand rounds easily. It doesnt produce flyers. You do.

Reactions: deersniper
I have AG as “plinking” ammo for use in my SOTIC. In my hands and rifle it’s a .7-.8 MOA load. The velocity is well off the box shooting in the 0-4 C range with high-ish humidity at around 500 ft ASL. Ballistics wise, it’s pretty close to the 123 ELD-M at range... more so than than the 140, certainly.

My RPR seems to like the stuff quite well. Hornady Black = Hornady American Gunner.

Best-Group-of-the-Day.jpg

0.518-MOA with the "flyer." 0.186-MOA without the "flyer." :)

Hornady Black 3 group minus flyer.jpg

On this day I tried a few different factory loads (and one "custom" load). Hornady Black performed the best! Go figure. Though, I have to admit that the shooter (me) seems to be the biggest variable.
Best-groups-of-the-day.jpg

All I could think of when you said "if I exclude the flyer" was the line from Super Troopers..."That little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy" lol. Good shooting! Your RPR really likes that ammo

It's always that ONE round out of five! Drives me nuts! o_O

Just bought 200 rounds of American Gunner from Sportsman's Warehouse, thanks to this thread. Sweet deal!

Reactions: britneymadz
It's always that ONE round out of five! Drives me nuts! o_O

Just bought 200 rounds of American Gunner from Sportsman's Warehouse, thanks to this thread. Sweet deal!

I was getting the Hornady Black for $20/box at Academy...then found the American Gunner at Sportsmans Warehouse for $140 and was kinda pissed that I'd been wasting an extra $60 for 200 rounds of the same ammo in a different box.

I was getting the Hornady Black for $20/box at Academy...then found the American Gunner at Sportsmans Warehouse for $140 and was kinda pissed that I'd been wasting an extra $60 for 200 rounds of the same ammo in a different box.

Yup! Same here!

Anyway, a friend also shoots American Gunner and has very good luck with it out of his Bergara.

I shoot the Am Gunner 6.5/140's out of my Bergara HMR Pro and Seekins Havak and it shoots 1/2 MOA. I shoot the Am Gunner 140 6.5 in matches at targets 400 or closer.

I have been shooting this ammo for a year and a half. A couple thousand rounds easily. It doesnt produce flyers. You do.
Sounds like you got it all sussed out. I measured extreme spread of over 90 FPS two weeks ago. At 1000 yards, that makes a 3+ MOA variation in elevation, requiring a 36” tall target to keep them all on the plate. Not so good on a 12” target. Must have been the shooter...:rolleyes:;)

Reactions: Reverend Mark
Sounds like you got it all sussed out. I measured extreme spread of over 90 FPS two weeks ago. At 1000 yards, that makes a 3+ MOA variation in elevation, requiring a 36” tall target to keep them all on the plate. Not so good on a 12” target. Must have been the shooter...:rolleyes:;)
Here we go. Lol.
The man I quoted said flyers were making him miss a 12” plate at 550 yards. Not the case. This wouldnt be ammo related.

What you and the other fellow are talking about are two different things. I do completely get what you are saying though. I have only shot to 900 yds and had no problem on a 12” plate. Could be differences in batches. I never chrono anything so i couldnt tell you the spread. I shoot and analyze what I see.

You probably got a bad batch of ammo, which certainly isn't uncommon with Hornady. I've shot about a half dozen different lots of this ammo in multiple rifles and every one has been 20-30fps ES for 10 round strings, I even posted a pic of the chrono string from the most recent rifle I shot on the first page of this thread. My findings have been that this ammo is more accurate and more consistent lot to lot than the 140 and 147 ELD-M loads, that stuff has been all over the place for me and I even got a lot of 147 that was producing very extreme flyers beyond 400 yards.

This is very good ammo though, but I'm sure Hornady has still put out some bad lots.

Reactions: deersniper
I will fully admit it could have been me missing. Just got to go out and shoot more, makes a good excuse anyway. My 140 ELD-M came in and weather looks good for the weekend, so it should be a good time to compare. Once my taxes get figured I'm hoping I'll have enough for a Chrono. It would be nice to have actual data.

Here we go. Lol.
The man I quoted said flyers were making him miss a 12” plate at 550 yards. Not the case. This wouldnt be ammo related.

What you and the other fellow are talking about are two different things. I do completely get what you are saying though. I have only shot to 900 yds and had no problem on a 12” plate. Could be differences in batches. I never chrono anything so i couldnt tell you the spread. I shoot and analyze what I see.
You may well be right, that there could be lot-to-lot variations. And also, at 550 yards, a 90fps spread is about 6” total, so shouldn’t drop you off the plate if centered.

I only chronoed those because I was helping a new to long range shooter and was seeing a large variation in elevation from shot to shot. From 1 MOA+ over the plate, to 1 MOA+ under the 12” plate at 1000. Watching the shooter, I didn’t think it was shooter related, so I pulled out the MS and measured some velocities to see if it would confirm what I suspected. It did.

That same shooter was hitting steel regularly up to 600 yards and had saved targets at 100 and 300 yards that seemed very nice. On that day though, it was the ammo letting him down.

I chrono'ed two batches this past weekend. One was from several months ago, the second was a batch I bought that morning (Saturday). First thing I noticed was that the packaging was different. The older one was in a small ammo can. The second was in a box that was noticeably lesser in quality. It didn't have the same dimensions or the same solid handle and latch. I ran 3 strings, 10 rounds each. With the results I got from the first string of the new batch I ran another string to confirm the results. Other than the first string (old batch), they were done with a warm/hot bore, but there were several minutes between each string.

Equipment:
- Rifle: Ruger RPR, 6.5 Creedmoor, stock 24 inch barrel with ~460 rounds through it
- Chrono: Magnetospeed V3

Weather conditions:
- DA 480

Older batch:
- Average velocity: 2692
- Extreme spread: 24
- SD: 8.7

New batch (string 1):
- Average velocity: 2721
- Extreme spread: 51
- SD: 17.6

New batch (string 2):
- Average velocity: 2727
- Extreme spread: 37
- SD: 12.2

I don't have enough experience to say whether the increase in SD's is due to me checking them with a hotter barrel or if it reflects a possible change in the manufacture. Also I can't personally speak to the expected change in accuracy as I haven't run things through a ballistic calculator yet. The change in SD's and the change in packaging does have me looking out to see if there may be some cost cutting going on but I don't necessarily have the data to come to a conclusion yet.

I have had outstanding results from Horn. AG 140gr ... it actually shot one of the best groups to date for me.
My 22" Criterion barreled PSA AR shot this group... ( and I don't shoot like this all the time.. but I am proud of this group )

I have lapped the upper receiver face flat, Loctite'd the barrel in, SLR Adj. GB, 9.3oz buffer weight, Tubbs .308 recoil spring. The upper to lower fit is tight.

10rds, no cool down, 100yds, freshly cleaned barrel, benched, scoped , bagged front and rear.. RO witnessed it.

Needless to say, I was just excited enough to flub the 10shot...
IMG_3229.jpg

What bullet is the AG loaded with? How dose the BC compare to the 140gr eld?
140 grain bthp
.58 BC

If I were reloading I wouldn’t use the bullet. I don’t reload so I use them because they are much cheaper. Extremely accurate but the Eldm are a step above as far as BC

My opinion about them is that they are great to train with out to 600 yards. After that they get a little inconsistent. I can put 5 in one hole at 100 yards but at 1000 yards they are all over the place. I’m shooting them out of a RPR 6.5 creed with 1045 rounds through the factory barrel

My opinion about them is that they are great to train with out to 600 yards. After that they get a little inconsistent. I can put 5 in one hole at 100 yards but at 1000 yards they are all over the place. I’m shooting them out of a RPR 6.5 creed with 1045 rounds through the factory barrel
I think 600 yards is too lite.

Ive never shot to 1000 yards but I dont see any problem on a 12” plate at 825 yards. They stack up just fine at that distance. Ive shot at 900
with them but only a few shots so I cant make that comparison.

Ive never shot to 1000 yards but I dont see any problem on a 12” plate at 825 yards. They stack up just fine at that distance. Ive shot at 900

Out of 10 rounds at 1000 yards, I had 8 impacts on a 12"x12" plate. At 750 I was hitting a 7" circle every time. My only issue with them is in cold weather they shoot slow as shit out of my 22" Ruger American Predator.

Out of 10 rounds at 1000 yards, I had 8 impacts on a 12"x12" plate. At 750 I was hitting a 7" circle every time. My only issue with them is in cold weather they shoot slow as shit out of my 22" Ruger American Predator.
Thats damn good at 70 cents per shot.

Could just be my rifle or me. I get great results at 1000 with 130 gr factory loads. Usually around 6-10 inch 5 shot group. It’s still a good factory round for the price point

Reactions: britneymadz