• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Made...

SniperCJ

Sky God
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2001
Dallas,TX
OK, I need to rant a little cuz I'm annoyed..

As a lot of you know my wife and I run a small embroidery / tshirt company in our 'spare' time. A few years ago I had an idea and had a particular ballcap made. The cap was well received and we have sold a bunch of them. It was, admittedly, made by an offshore company.

My manufacturer and I got crossways about a quality issue and parted ways. I figured what better time to get an American made hat done. Well, one company refused to even try to build it. One was unable to locate the material needed. A couple just blew me off.

So, i find a company that can make the hat. Awesome!

Here's where it gets sticky...

The initial cost to produce a prototype of the hat if 10X, TEN TIMES, the cost of the offshore.

The cost per hat is 2.6X the cost of the offshore.

The minimum required order is over 4X the minimum of the offshore.

That puts the initial buy-in at well into 5 digits my cost.

So, all you diehard "gotta-have-American-made" guys, especially you wholesale buyers, how many of you are willing to pay double, DOUBLE! the cost for a hat that you likely are buying to give away to promote your business.

Im betting none. Simple economics.

Looks like that hat is going ot die a quick death

Re: American Made...

That sucks Brother. I wish there was a simple solution. By the way, I love the MOLAN LABE hat I got from You, even though I had to modify it.

Take care, Man.

Is the quality of the US made item way ahead of the offshore item? Is the increase cost in materials & labor? Just wondering...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the quality of the US made item way ahead of the offshore item? Is the increase cost in materials & labor? Just wondering... </div></div>

I dont know. It'll cost 10X to get the initial prototype done to assess the quality and construction.

You are going to have to crunch some numbers. Projected sales at each price level. Projected profit per hat, along with losses based on unsold items that are "in stock". Price per unit for advertisement. Since you know the company that is going to make them why don't you get referenced from them of customers that have purchased from them. Then contact one of the companies and purchase ONE of their hats so you can get an idea of the quality difference. They will just think you are getting info on their business capabilities. Last and most important is to do some investigative work on the "competition" to see what seems to be working for them. You won't believe what your typical order taker or salesperson will give you in terms of how biz' is doing and what they sell the most of. Good luck in the current anti-business climate you will have your hands full.

To throw yet another angle into the mix, have you looked at all at any Canadian companies? We too are in this together, as opposed to offshore. Or the other side of the ocean.

I'm just sayin....

Our Country is 16-17 TRILLION in debt, the Dollar devalued both by our leaders, our creditors, and the world market, and on top of all that "Made in the U.S.A." by law means 51% here, so either stay in business or fold, I hope/pray yall chose to stay in business.

I hear you on it all, and it's no wonder why business are using offshore companies for clothing. I have a few of your hats myself, love them, but yes I would love to see the "Made in USA" label on the inside of it too. I know this also isn't your day job and I'm glad you offer what you do in the first place. I do hope to help though; if these guys can do it, maybe you can too:

http://madeinusaforever.com/mainusafolob.html

http://8541tactical.com/hatpreorder.php

Hopefully wherever they source their stuff from can be an asset to you too. Maybe not to replace your whole line, but if you had a limited Made in USA option at twice the cost of your regular options, I know I for one would buy it and a few of them at that. I go through a hat about every 6 months as it is, and yours and AmericanSnipers.org (also imports) are the only two hats I've worn for the last couple years.

Do an embroidered American Flag (subdued) hat on American material? You bet your ass I'd buy it and know more than a few contractors over here who would too. Just please no button on the top, it hurts like hell when we get bounced in the trucks on these roads or when wearing headsets...

Best of luck!

I get a lot of my supplies off shore just for that very reason and in fact a lot of base stock isn't even made in the U.S., by <span style="text-decoration: underline">any</span> company. Company's simply can't compete in a global market where U.S. labor costs and orgs like the EPA (my biggest problem) is involved and either drive the price of the product sky high or regulates them out of business with stupid environmental laws. The bottom line is that you have to outsource your products just to stay competitive, even with a near monopoly, if my prices aren't low enough people will just do without and accept the added risk of running without my product. Same applies to you in that if your cost isn't low enough, people will pass on your much better hat in favor of a less-cool hat but cheaper.

I was definately willing to accept a price increase. I expected it. And even at the quoted price i would likely get the hat made if not for the crazy minimum requirement. I cant sit on 2000 hats. Not at that price.

That's because everybody demands raises, benefits, etc. Then add in all the imbedded taxes that are passed on to the next tier. Frankly, people aren't willing to take less money and always want more to work. They get it, prices go up, buying power remains stagnant, and government gets a larger portion, though buying power for the individual remains stagnant.

Without actual projected costs I cant say but when I have hats made to give away at trade shows my cost is $5 ea for 40. I seem to remember the hats cost$2.40 ea before the embroidery.
If the price was $20 to buy a finished product and was $26 for USA made I would opt for USA. That said I understand. I use irish linnen on my cues and the domestic producers are all drying up. The overseas stuff is junk. I have had to have hurlbert make me special runs of it. It is more costly but I just raised the cost and use it as a selling point. So far it has been well recieved.
Bottom line for me, I am willing to spend a few bucks more for US made stuff. Of course it also is all about quality.

I hate the situation you and most other American businesses are in, but I still try to buy American. There seems to be a trend among many low lifes, and sorry to say some are in the firearms/related businesses, that produce a few products in the US, ship in the rest, but their ads always talk about their American Made goods. They don't actually state everything they sell is made here, but try real hard to leave that impression. Watchout for some of the clothes "made in usa", a few (some in the firearms and related businesses no less) purchase their cloth and have it cut ready to sew in commie china, run a little sewing operation in the US, and really go out of their way to always talk about those products they offer that are "U.S. made". They aren't breaking any laws, but I feel they are trying to deceive their customers. One could say, "Well, at least some of it is made here", but I would rather buy U.S. made goods, and if I can't, I'll buy those marked made in_____, at least they aren't trying to decieve me! Hope you are able to find a solution to your hat problem!

I myself look for Made In The USA. I have given hats back to people when I looked and saw that it was made in China or some other country.

I was looking for some insulated boots last weekend. I looked on line and found that Danner, Irish Setter and Wolverine boots are Made IN USA. The funny part about it was all of those name brands all had made in china on the label. The only boot I found was Georgias that were Made In The USA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I myself look for Made In The USA. I have given hats back to people when I looked and saw that it was made in China or some other country.

I was looking for some insulated boots last weekend. I looked on line and found that Danner, Irish Setter and Wolverine boots are Made IN USA. The funny part about it was all of those name brands all had made in china on the label. The only boot I found was Georgias that were Made In The USA.</div></div> Check Welco boots too, they're made just outside Knoxville, TN. Danner vary on origin based on whether they're required to be Berry compliant or not for USG sales. I quit buying their China made models because they're trash and can't even last a year on my feet, but I have a pair of USA made Danner Acadias on my feet right now that I bought in '96 and worn every winter since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Company's simply can't compete in a global market where U.S. labor costs and orgs like the EPA (my biggest problem) is involved and either drive the price of the product sky high or regulates them out of business with stupid environmental laws.</div></div>

My employer makes electronics in the US (further defying stereotypes, this is done in a non-union shop in Michigan). The key is to find a niche and do it well. While I can't speak to the challenges of regulatory compliance in your industry, I can say that modern electronic assembly processes present relatively minor environmental impact and risk to worker safety (no small feat, considering the amount of molten lead required to do this job).

With no knowledge of the textile industry, I'm a bit surprised that the domestic supplier had such a high minimum order. That's one particular area where my employer typically finds itself at a significant advantage versus suppliers in LCC (we also typically do prototypes for free or at a very low price relative to our cost, which is another way to attract customers).

Maybe someday we're all going to figure to whose advantage it is that "Made Here" is priced beyond being a desirably affordable option; who's making this so (don't just think "cost", think "compliance", too...) and why it is that their campaign chests are always so well enough fed as to ensure a slam-dunk re-election...

"...and I support a favorable trade balance", my Ass!

I dream that I may live so long...