• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes american made

shanem81

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
montana
Tried the search but didn't turn up much for me, I'm wondering if there are any reasonable priced scopes that are actually made in the usa. Leupold is about all i can come up with any others?

Re: american made

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your idea of reasonably priced?</div></div>

This right here ^^^

One man's bargain is another man's bank breaker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tried the search but didn't turn up much for me, I'm wondering if there are any reasonable priced scopes that are actually made in the usa. Leupold is about all i can come up with any others? </div></div>

There is much vagueness in what you are asking. Are you just looking for any scope USA made?
Do you want a hunting scope, target scope, tactical scope?
How much $$ in your "reasonable" budget?

I guess i was thinking under say 1000 or so, something that has exposed turets for long range work.

Well that rules out US Optics. Try looking at the Vortex Viper PST. Their 6-24X50 FFP is less than $900 and is made in the USA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well that rules out US Optics. Try looking at the Vortex Viper PST. Their 6-24X50 FFP is less than $900 and is made in the USA. </div></div>

the pst would be a very wise choice but its not made in the usa. vortex is based in the us

Neither is the Sightron or the SS...Ummm and it is hard to tell exactly how much of the Lueppy's are made in the U.S., but they are your best bet if that is your only goal i that price range...

If I remember correctly, the PST is manufactured in the Phillipines. I'm almost 100% sure that the Sightron and SWFA are Japanese.

Is there a reason you're wanting to purchase a "U.S." made optic? I try to purchase American products when I can but...sometimes the best isn't 'made in the USA'.

Well i am in the market for another scope and just would rather buy something made in the us, It seems almost impossible these days to find somethig that is 100% made in the usa. The vortex pst's or the new weaver are what i think i want but they don't fill the made in usa box.

Zeiss has an assembly plant right here in America. The parts are produced in Germany but the scope is assembled here in the USA by American employees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess i was thinking under say 1000 or so, something that has exposed turets for long range work. </div></div>

People in hell want ice water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess i was thinking under say 1000 or so, something that has exposed turets for long range work. </div></div>

People in hell want ice water.</div></div>

Ha ha ha...I was thinking the same but I wasn't gonna be the one to say it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess i was thinking under say 1000 or so, something that has exposed turets for long range work. </div></div>

People in hell want ice water.</div></div>

Ha ha ha...I was thinking the same but I wasn't gonna be the one to say it. </div></div>

Well, let's face it, this thread makes no sense.

There are MANY things that US-made really is better and is worth the money. There are well-made Japanese and european-made scopes, so I'm not sure why the strong desire for US-made, but even if so, US workers don't work for nothing, and the ONLY way to maximize your value is to buy something imported. Wanting US-made and low price just ends up destroying the quality of the good (think Hi-point firearms, for example).

US Made
High quality
Cheap

Pick any two.

Personally, I'd give up #1.

I use Japanese-made scopes.

I too use japanese made scopes, but was in the market for a new one and could't seem to find anything us made. I just wanted to know if there was anything i had overlooked before i do make a purchase. I also thought the fullfield was made in the philipines?

What you overlooked is that US-made scopes aren't within your price range.

I might be wrong here, but as far as I have understod US optics are the only US made scope there is?
Leupy are using asian lenses, and I suppose that Sightron, Burris and vortex are entierly made in asia.

That is at least what I have read, or am I wrong?

Håkan

SOME of the Burris scopes are US.
Redfields are made in the US, and Leupold.

I think Nightforce get their lenses from Japan and probably various small parts too. I don't know of any glass makers that are 100% USA but I think Schott and a couple others have a footprint here.

I would just buy the best scope you can within your budget no matter where it came from. In the end, if I were choosing between two exactly identical scopes and one was foreign made and one was USA then I'd choose the one made in USA. But that's not the case so just buy the best you can.

USO is it. Not under $1k though....

People say NF F1's are Made in USA, but I don't believe it one bit. I'm almost certain they are made in Japan, and at best, minimally assembled here.

Made in the USA is pretty much dead. We all love the idea behind it, but corporate greed and bottom line profits have all but put the nail in that coffin.

I think as said already that my price is the limiting factor, but i have a budget. I think mostley I'm just surprised to see how few there are that are even 100% made here. Anyhow thanks for the help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think as said already that my price is the limiting factor, but i have a budget. I think mostley I'm just surprised to see how few there are that are even 100% made here. Anyhow thanks for the help </div></div>

Think all the parts for your American (you do own one don't you) car are made here?
Here is the thing. I always spend extra for good optics. My "go to" is Nightforce. But that is just my preference. Do yourself a favor and stop worrying over it in this case.
If I were you I'd be all over a Vortex PST and it's in the budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO is it. Not under $1k though....

People say NF F1's are Made in USA, but I don't believe it one bit. I'm almost certain they are made in Japan, and at best, minimally assembled here.

Made in the USA is pretty much dead. We all love the idea behind it, but corporate greed and bottom line profits have all but put the nail in that coffin. </div></div>

JRose hit it on the head. The F1 is your best choice, Japanese glass, but all other parts USA, and assembled here. You could just wait, (god forbid), save some dough, get a 0% card and charge a USO to it.

1. Good scope
2. U.S. made
3. Done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironworker21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO is it. Not under $1k though....

Made in the USA is pretty much dead. We all love the idea behind it, but corporate greed and bottom line profits have all but put the nail in that coffin. </div></div>

JRose hit it on the head. The F1 is your best choice, Japanese glass, but all other parts USA, and assembled here. You could just wait, (god forbid), save some dough, get a 0% card and charge a USO to it.

1. Good scope
2. U.S. made
3. Done </div></div>

no optic can be made completely in the U.S. there isn't a lens glass manufacture in the u.S. currently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...We all love the idea behind it, but corporate greed and bottom line profits have all but put the nail in that coffin. </div></div>

People always want to whine about "corporate greed," as if all business profits go to fat cats lounging on yachts. Corporate profits get distributed to shareholders many of whom are blue collar Americans with 401ks.

If you want American made, you are going to have to pay for it. What you are paying for includes inflated union salaries, incomprehensible and over burdensome environmental laws, payroll taxes, enormous administrative overhead necessitated by a tax code with four times as many words as the bible, and huge inflation in medical insurance driven largely by medicare and the Democrats refusal to reform tort laws.

Quote from Burris Site:

"We manufacture most of our products here in the USA, in our own factory."

...most...

I'm sure they would tell you if you asked about a specific scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stonewall308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you want American made, you are going to have to pay for it.</div></div>

They are sub-1k USA made "tactical" scopes they just don't have the features people want. I think that will change in the near future though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone making glass in the us? i don't know of any. </div></div>

Schott does

http://www.us.schott.com/english/index.html#home?WTS=1&WTC=Schott_us_google_Corporate-(New)_Corporate-Brand_SCHOTT%AE-Specialty-Glass-Industry-Specific-Glass-&-Materials-Solutions.-Benefit-From-Expertise.

Haven't a clue if USO's actual lens are made here , but it's possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stonewall308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...We all love the idea behind it, but corporate greed and bottom line profits have all but put the nail in that coffin. </div></div>

People always want to whine about "corporate greed," as if all business profits go to fat cats lounging on yachts. Corporate profits get distributed to shareholders many of whom are blue collar Americans with 401ks.

If you want American made, you are going to have to pay for it. What you are paying for includes inflated union salaries, incomprehensible and over burdensome environmental laws, payroll taxes, enormous administrative overhead necessitated by a tax code with four times as many words as the bible, and huge inflation in medical insurance driven largely by medicare and the Democrats refusal to reform tort laws. </div></div>

You have not paid attention to where the profits actually go. The boardrooms
spend most of it on themselves through housing, yatchs, travel and bonuses.
Not to mention salaries approaching the billion dollar mark now. Did you
follow the news lately?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-inv...article2270790/

Real Estate will make you wealthy. Seems everything else makes someone else
wealthy off your dime.