• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

If it is practical, I'll probably bed my grips to the Xylo before shaping so that there will be no way to misalign the half's and a smooth, perfect seam.

No email yet for my Archimedes order. I'll be watching, excited to hear the flow has started. Mine is a R.H. short action. I did change my order slightly back in June, went to a 30 moa rail, which was confirmed.

I’ve been away from the hide and haven’t shot my nucleus much until recently, but I experienced a POI shift during my last outing.

I don’t recall hitting the barrel, only that it was in the sun for a considerable amount of time. The barrel could have been bumped, but nothing extreme. The other rifles that I shot that day experienced the same weather and barricade work, but didn’t have the same POI shift.

I’m using a shouldered Barloc and I have several barrels that were spun up for this system. All were done as soon as I received my actions from the preorder, and well before ARC pulled the Barloc. The quick change barrel system was THE ONLY reason I went with a Nucleus. Other actions have bolt face changes, so that wasn’t a selling point.

It’s been several months. Has ARC done any additional testing of the Barloc? Is there a fix?

You seem to be a reasonable person.

I work making high end fly fishing tackle.
Hand made in USA stuff.
We find lots of issues getting new products out.

Quirky boss/designer.
Material issues.
Material procurement
Research and development.
Labor issues.
Tooling and layup design and procedures.

Often you’ll find an issue or a point of improvement when initiating production and you really can’t just ignore it and press on.

Really big companies have people well trained with lots of experience to manage such projects and even they have difficulty’s.

Little company’s often just try to plow forward and adjust/modify/adapt as needed.

Totally off topic, but It can’t muddy up this thread anymore. I’m taking my first fly casting lesson in a few days. I suck at it, so I’m super stoked to get some pro training.

It’s been several months. Has ARC done any additional testing of the Barloc? Is there a fix?

Ted did testing on it and found that you can get POI shift with the Barloc. He also did testing that showed that you can get POI shift with a traditional shouldered barrel torqued on, so I believe he decided to continue barloc sales and don't believe a change will be made.

I have done some testing personally because I have access to a 100yd indoor range that limits outside influences and allows for really good precision testing. What I found is that you need the barrel to AT LEAST butt up to the barloc before tightening the barloc screw. In order to make that happen in my PVA prefit I had to ream the chamber a little deeper.

Originally I would bottom out the Barloc when tightening it, after pushing the chamber forward like .007", it makes me screw the barrel in .007" more to head space properly, and it contacts the loose barloc when headspaced on a GO gauge. The barloc still has a gap when the barloc screw is tightened down.

With the Barloc bottomed out I got POI shift with 'moderate' barrel impacts. With a gap still present I haven't documented any POI shift with what I'd consider reasonable impacts. I hit it fairly stoutly on a wooden frame to simulate me dropping the rifle or not pulling the barrel out of a barricade before trying to move, etc... No POI shift. I didn't go full retard with it-- I'd imagine if I wailed on it with a rubber mallet I could get POI shift but I don't see why that's a relevant test.

Have not personally tested savage style barrels with the barloc.

To put the above in picture format...
barloc.jpg

I use a Barloc with a Savage prefit and barrel nut, and part of the assembly instructions are to tighten the nut until you can slip the spanner wrench between the sides of the Barloc. After tightening there’s still a gap that’s about the same as what Ledzep’s image shows.

I haven’t noticed any POI shifts on reasonable impacts with this setup. I wish I could buy another couple, for other builds, but ARC isn’t selling the main part of the Barloc right now, only the washers/lugs/nuts/screws.

Ted did testing on it and found that you can get POI shift with the Barloc. He also did testing that showed that you can get POI shift with a traditional shouldered barrel torqued on, so I believe he decided to continue barloc sales and don't believe a change will be made.

I have done some testing personally because I have access to a 100yd indoor range that limits outside influences and allows for really good precision testing. What I found is that you need the barrel to AT LEAST butt up to the barloc before tightening the barloc screw. In order to make that happen in my PVA prefit I had to ream the chamber a little deeper.

Originally I would bottom out the Barloc when tightening it, after pushing the chamber forward like .007", it makes me screw the barrel in .007" more to head space properly, and it contacts the loose barloc when headspaced on a GO gauge. The barloc still has a gap when the barloc screw is tightened down.

With the Barloc bottomed out I got POI shift with 'moderate' barrel impacts. With a gap still present I haven't documented any POI shift with what I'd consider reasonable impacts. I hit it fairly stoutly on a wooden frame to simulate me dropping the rifle or not pulling the barrel out of a barricade before trying to move, etc... No POI shift. I didn't go full retard with it-- I'd imagine if I wailed on it with a rubber mallet I could get POI shift but I don't see why that's a relevant test.

When you mentioned,

~"setting the chamber deeper 0.007""

Does that mean you also have cut the bbl shoulder further forward and bbl breech face (shave off 0.007") too?

Or was it just the deeper chamber that helped you screw in the bbl tighter?

I have the same setup, and hand tighten the bbl to the washer, then torqued the Barloc to 90in/lb. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20190827_225843.jpg
    IMG_20190827_225843.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 60
When you mentioned,

~"setting the chamber deeper 0.007""

Does that mean you also have cut the bbl shoulder further forward and bbl breech face (shave off 0.007") too?

Or was it just the deeper chamber that helped you screw in the bbl tighter?

I have the same setup, and hand tighten the bbl to the washer, then torqued the Barloc to 90in/lb. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet.
He didn’t mess with the shoulder, just chambered it deeper so it was tighter against the collar.

My savage nut style barloc POI didn’t move after banging it it against trees multiple times.

Yeah I just cut the chamber deeper by hand with a reamer in a tap wrench. When I chamber my barrels I do a 1.275" long threaded tennon with 0.145" GO gauge exposure out of the breech face. This PVA barrel had a 1.275" tennon with like 0.152" GO gauge exposure. So cutting the chamber deeper in my case didn't remove enough bolt-to-breech face clearance to become an issue. I believe it comes out to .010-.015" clearance in my actions.

I'm considering selling/trading my Bighorn TL3 for an Archimedes when they get into the wild. If anyone gets one in their hands and decides they don't want it let me know.

Thanks
Ross

So it sounds like a Barloc shouldered Pre-fit issue.

I don't have any of those, just barrel nut style and I followed the instructions.

Shouldered never made any sense to me.

500+ for me but not all of those orders will have actions. It seems like I might be waiting a while except the email said it was only going to take a few weeks to fill the outstanding orders (beside long left).

I hope mine will ship in September.

I would love to hear about progress on the Xylo.

When I paid for my nucleus and sent ffl info it was still 3 weeks until it shipped, and another week to arrive. Hopefully yall see these actions before October

Mine shipped same day they received the FFL. Ups ground always takes 4-5 business days to my area.

I pre-ordered next to the last day order 010538. If anyone gets the mausingfield with the Gucci rings post it up.

When I paid for my nucleus and sent ffl info it was still 3 weeks until it shipped, and another week to arrive. Hopefully yall see these actions before October

When I paid for my nuke I got shipped confirmation the same day.

Order SO-010151. Got my notification yesterday for the Archimedes SA.

Hmmm lefties must be a bit slow then. I have a sa lh so-010144 (originally 010072 but changed the bolt face size) and still no email

Hmmm lefties must be a bit slow then. I have a sa lh so-010144 (originally 010072 but changed the bolt face size) and still no email

I'm 117. Left short action. They stated all was going to be together, but it's not looking like that now.

Anyone have a recent order/delivery of a Mausingfield? The Web site says 2-4 months, just wondering if that is close to actual shipping times. Kind of want to get all the bits close to the same time.

Just got my invoice. It was a short action, right hander with a .472 bolt face. Order was 010260. Hopefully the rest of you get yours soon.

SO# 010041. Paid on 8/31. I'm also only 5-miles from their production facility so hopefully my FFL gets the SA RH Archimedes soon.

Anyone have a recent order/delivery of a Mausingfield? The Web site says 2-4 months, just wondering if that is close to actual shipping times. Kind of want to get all the bits close to the same time.

Sorry i dont have exact numbers. But ordered a RH mag short mausingfield about 3 weeks ago. Got ffl and payment request last thurs. Shipping to chad dixon w/ tracking number today. Total time easily <1 month. Definately a pleasant suprise.

Just paid mine 010123, SA RH mag bolt face

Just got my final payment and ffl email. 010435 SA, RH, mag bolt.

Just got my shipping notification for RH SA. Should be in my hands tomorrow.

One thing I noticed today is the Archimedes bolt head is different than the Nucleus. Archimedes is labeled M3 and Nucleus is M9. Extractor is the same for both. I guess the bolt heads are no longer compatible between the two.

Last edited:
I got my email, SO-010538, paid and encouraged FFL to send info. Does ARC have a system for updating or indicating if FFL info is received? Im using a new LGS, don't know about their reliability with submitting transfer info.