• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

i got my metal bag rider today ... yay!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF. I called ARC weeks ago and they said just wait for it to go on the website. I really hate this thing in the gun industry where stuff gets released early to the cool people.

WTF. I called ARC weeks ago and they said just wait for it to go on the website. I really hate this thing in the gun industry where stuff gets released early to the cool people.

Well dude did you order yours back in Jan at shot? I did ...

How about it, @karagias? Any prospects for commoners to be able to order the steel bag riders? Unfortunately both my barrels for the Xylo rifle are 30" and the current setup is pretty front heavy.

Reactions: chrome
My 22" medium Palma barrel in the Xzylo chassis has perfect balance without any additional weight.
I wouldn’t doubt it, but when you’re trying to hit stuff at 2500 yards, the velocity makes a more cumbersome barrel worthwhile.

Reactions: lash
If I was serious about 2200yd shots I probably wouldn't choose a Xzylo. I can think of a lot better solutions. I have a 30" HVar in a heavy T4A and it feels ok but is at what I consider it's limits. I get what you're trying to do but I think you're taking the ARC chassis out of it's element.

If I was serious about 2200yd shots I probably wouldn't choose a Xzylo. I can think of a lot better solutions. I have a 30" HVar in a heavy T4A and it feels ok but is at what I consider it's limits. I get what you're trying to do but I think you're taking the ARC chassis out of it's element.
I think it’s a testament to the versatility of the Xylo that it worked well on this rifle in my first ELR competition. Remember that people shoot all the way up to 338 LM in the AXMC, which isn’t a lot bigger. I just want a bit more weight in the back for balance, plus with the side weights it may fit in the rear bag I had made for my .50 BMG.

I ended up calling and they sold me one. Sounds like they had some issues with the coating process but they can be obtained. Very exciting!

Reactions: SpeedyR
This question may have been answered but do gen1 nuke barrels headspace correctly with Archimedes actions??

Also, since the archimedes has been out a while, any buyers regrets? any defects or flaws?

Ive got multiple barrels for my nuke so im looking to get into another action that fits those barrels but maybe something different than the nuke.

Thanks fellas.

This question may have been answered but do gen1 nuke barrels headspace correctly with Archimedes actions??

Also, since the archimedes has been out a while, any buyers regrets? any defects or flaws?

Ive got multiple barrels for my nuke so im looking to get into another action that fits those barrels but maybe something different than the nuke.

Thanks fellas.

All ARC headspace the same.

I had an early Archimedes, it was nice. I would get one for ELR cartridges if he made them. But, I love my Nuke and it meets all my needs so I traded my Archimedes for another Nuke and cash for other goodies. The guy that got it was going the other way, all Archimedes.

Its gonna be a preference sort of thing.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9

Thanks fellas.

I second that your barrels will head space fine on the Arch.

My first Archimedes was for a 223 and after using it for a few months and having no issues whatsoever, I went and tracked down one with the 308 bolt face and put a 6x47 barrel on it. It's been perfect also. I recently bought one of the actions that get a lot more positive noise on here, and to be honest, it's been less than impressive compared to the Arch. It's been one thing after another. All of which I cold have figured out on my own with enough research, but none the less, none of the issues would have become an issue with an Arch. I really like my Mausingfields, but the Arch is growing on me a lot and definitely has the potential to become my favorite action.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Thought you ARC nerds might like this.

This is a great system.

ARC Rifle-16.jpg

That grip is looking good!

What's the EFR type thing up front on the stock?

Phlegethon beat me to it. It's a barrel shroud which allows you to apply downward pressure to stabilize the rifle without burning yourself or changing POI. I really like it because it doesn't add much weight. I don't have night vision and have no need for a pic rail up there, so this is perfect.

Reactions: lash
How about it, @karagias? Any prospects for commoners to be able to order the steel bag riders? Unfortunately both my barrels for the Xylo rifle are 30" and the current setup is pretty front heavy.
Steel bag riders are now available on the website. In stock and ready to ship!

Cheers

That looks way more comfortable then the stock blocky grips lol

Yeah, it's a really great fit now. I debated whether to get really aggressive on fitting it perfectly vs. generally and chose to stay conservative since others will shoot my rifle as well. It looks sharp now.

One of my favorite things that I did was create a shallow depression for my thumb to fit into on the back of the grip. It's a consistent indexing point for me.

Reactions: Kimber.204
Yeah, it's a really great fit now. I debated whether to get really aggressive on fitting it perfectly vs. generally and chose to stay conservative since others will shoot my rifle as well. It looks sharp now.

One of my favorite things that I did was create a shallow depression for my thumb to fit into on the back of the grip. It's a consistent indexing point for me.

Did you start with a block set or did you start from a set of already milled grips?

I shot my Eliseo tube gun today for a long while, then switched back to the ARC Archimedes/Xylo. The grip size and location relative to the trigger and the bolt are just perfect on the Archimedes - for me. I have refined my shooting positions such that I was able to hold the Tube Gun as steady or steadier as I ever have, but the Xylo is better yet. In fact I shot my first 100 Standing at an NRA SR target - in high winds today.

I started with the milled grips and just added light finger grooves in the perfect locations for me, then worked on the undercut a bit to make sure that I wasn't feeling lots of pressure on any edges.

Reactions: Kimber.204
For anyone on the fence about a Archimedes action or Xzylo chassis they work together like peanut butter and jelly. I added a cut down "spigot mount" to get the bipod a little higher and give me a Pic rail option. The rifle with a 22" medium Palma weighs 12lb. I find it to be an excellent package, my only wish is for a folding option on the stock. The action is simply excellent.

I played with an Archimedes the other day when I went over to ARC, what a nice action. It cycles extremely smooth and a very nice light bolt lift for something that's 3-lug.

Steel bag riders are now available on the website. In stock and ready to ship!

Cheers
And mine is installed now, looks great, fits my giant rear bag perfectly. Excellent.

Unfortunately I’ve had another issue with the Archimedes. I ordered it with the 45 MOA rail, and recently got a 20 MOA rail. It is loose when using the same screws, to the point that you can rattle it around with one finger. Did it need shorter screws?

Someone help out the fellow village idiot with the xylo. Was doing some basic rifle maintenance and went to go adjust the LOP and the entire rear butt slider came out. I am unable to get the chassis to retain the slider for some reason. I didn't mess with any screws near the back end since I've had the stock.

Derrrrp. Figured it out.

Last edited:
Since we're asking stupid and embarrassing questions, what's the torque rec for the Gen 1 scope rail screws?

• Haha
Reactions: chrome
Since we're asking stupid and embarrassing questions, what's the torque rec for the Gen 1 scope rail screws?
I had to go to 45 when reinstalling a rail on the Archimedes, I think because of loctite residue. In general I think the rail interface is not my favorite thing about the design. I have come to prefer integral 20 MOA rails.

This may be a question of preference/bias, but is the Archimedes Xylo rifle worth the $1100 increase over the Nucleus Xylo rifle?

I see the differences, I mean based off of actual use.

Archimedes $3599
Nucleus $2499

I thought I was deadset on the Nucleus but keep reading more about the Archimedes.

This may be a question of preference/bias, but is the Archimedes Xylo rifle worth the $1100 increase over the Nucleus Xylo rifle?

I see the differences, I mean based off of actual use.

Archimedes $3599
Nucleus $2499

I thought I was deadset on the Nucleus but keep reading more about the Archimedes.

I've got multiples of each, but only Gen1 Nukes, and I'd have to say no way is it worth $1100 more. I bought one of my Archs for $1100. I'm sure the Gen2 is better than the ones that I have and I really like the Arch, but $1100 is too much for that upgrade.

And really, this is kind of showing how good of a deal the Nuke package is.

Reactions: DamagedGuds
I've got multiples of each, but only Gen1 Nukes, and I'd have to say no way is it worth $1100 more. I bought one of my Archs for $1100. I'm sure the Gen2 is better than the ones that I have and I really like the Arch, but $1100 is too much for that upgrade.

And really, this is kind of showing how good of a deal the Nuke package is.

I appreciate your response.

I think it's a great price for what you get, but I don't know too much about ARC/three lug. In general, I read great reviews for their actions and they've only gotten better. I'd like to try the rifle but for $2500 I'm wondering if I can get something better. I'm wanting to purchase a new rifle so I can pass my current rifle to my son. I don't have a lot of experience to go on as I'm using a BadRock, which to me, is a fantastic shooter. It's my first bolt action. I've been keeping my eyes peeled in the PX.

I looks as though more than just the action is different. A muzzle brake being one difference. The Nucleus Rifle makes reference to a button Rifled barrel, where the Archimedes just says 25” Match grade. Does that mean cut rifled?
Nucleus:
Does not include (may be shown in some images)
  • Muzzle Brake
  • Magazine
  • Rings
  • Scope
  • Forward Optic Mount
  • Weight Kit
  • Bipod Mount

Archimedes:
    • Rings
    • Scope
    • Forward Optic Mount
    • Weight Kit
    • Bipod Mount

I'm pretty sure the Nuke and Arch use the same bolt head and have the same length bolt lift. I'd have to go out in the safe room to verify, but both are pretty smooth and get smoother as you run them. In my opinion the Xylo makes the Nuke package a heck of a deal.

I
I looks as though more than just the action is different. A muzzle brake being one difference. The Nucleus Rifle makes reference to a button Rifled barrel, where the Archimedes just says 25” Match grade. Does that mean cut rifled?
Nucleus:
  • Muzzle Brake
  • Magazine
  • Rings
  • Scope
  • Forward Optic Mount
  • Weight Kit
  • Bipod Mount

Archimedes:
    • Rings
    • Scope
    • Forward Optic Mount
    • Weight Kit
    • Bipod Mount
I saw these as well. I don't know if what the Archimedes rifle offers is worth the price increase. That's why I thought I'd ask the question. See what others have to say. Again, thanks!

Reactions: Tokay444
I'm in a similar position and have tried to convince myself the Arch rifle is worth it but haven't pulled it off. I'd absolutely buy the action, but the Nucleus is a great deal for a complete rifle where the Archimedes seems like about what you'd expect for a complete rifle in its class. If you were to part both rifles out, I bet you'd come out ahead on the Nucleus and slightly behind on the Archimedes.

Everyone that got in on the $2000 deal made out like a bandit. Even at $2500 you're getting an action, chassis, and trigger with what amounts to a free barrel. With everything I've seen about the Xylo I'm pretty confident that I'll like it, but even if I don't it won't take much to flip it and get a Foundation or whatever else I might want.

Big caveat to all of this is that I'm green as hell on this stuff - just been researching for a while and keep coming back to the Nucleus prebuilt as a great value, especially for getting your feet wet.

I'm in a similar position and have tried to convince myself the Arch rifle is worth it but haven't pulled it off. I'd absolutely buy the action, but the Nucleus is a great deal for a complete rifle where the Archimedes seems like about what you'd expect for a complete rifle in its class. If you were to part both rifles out, I bet you'd come out ahead on the Nucleus and slightly behind on the Archimedes.

Everyone that got in on the $2000 deal made out like a bandit. Even at $2500 you're getting an action, chassis, and trigger with what amounts to a free barrel. With everything I've seen about the Xylo I'm pretty confident that I'll like it, but even if I don't it won't take much to flip it and get a Foundation or whatever else I might want.

Big caveat to all of this is that I'm green as hell on this stuff - just been researching for a while and keep coming back to the Nucleus prebuilt as a great value, especially for getting your feet wet.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. It just seems too good. I don't think I can go wrong but for me it's the bad reviews that turn me off, not only about this action but the three lug actions in general. I know, not all actions are going to have positive feedback. Maybe I'm too scared to drop 2500 right now for a paper weight I can't use. I can't even get the 140 grain projectiles I ordered 2 months ago.

My Archimedes is so fast to operate. It feels much more natural to me than my Defiance or my Bighorn.
I've never shot a PRS style match, and a thread I was reading suggested that people watch some videos to see how others were approaching stages. When I watched a few stages I saw that after a shot the bolt was opened, the user moved to the next position, established NPA, then closed the bolt. I think in this specific application it wouldn't matter if you were using a Defiance/Bighorn/Nucleus/Archimedes....the speed is in establishing NPA on the new firing location after the physical move. For NRA Highpower NPA is reestablished after the bolt has been cycled, so there is great benefit in having the bolt cycled very quickly. I have more time to take another breath and let my mind calm down to look for the X in the center of the target and squeeze into the second stage of my trigger....all because I can cycle my Archimedes bolt faster.

Reactions: Stoweit