• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

You guys have already said it, but +1 for not noticing it. It runs really quickly and smoothly. I figured there would be a learning curve but there really isn't. Go with either, you can't go wrong. The Gen2 bolt head on the Nuke is nice, too. It doesn't make the bolt handle drop freely, but it definitely smoothed out the cycling.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSpork
Archimedes is slick, you don't notice the pivot. If you can swing the extra coin, the straight pull extraction is absolutely worth the premium over the nuke.
Having said that, the real winner the chassis, that thing is a marvel.

You are going to make me out down a deposit in the Xylo as well. Are you at Shot and have seen the Xylo and Archimedes?

Yeah that’s true.
Awesome idea though I like it a lot.

It looks like Archimedes' bolt handle protrude pass the bolt body and makes contact with the receiver, which is where the force is exerted while pull the bolt rearwards. Whereas both the FIX and Ascalon's bolt handle is contained within the bolt body. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Archimedes is slick, you don't notice the pivot. If you can swing the extra coin, the straight pull extraction is absolutely worth the premium over the nuke.
Having said that, the real winner the chassis, that thing is a marvel.

You're killing me.. So tempted to get on the list for a long action.

@Winny94 - How would you compare Xylo to MPA? What is it that has you calling it a marvel? I have a deposit on one already to try it out, but I still have another action looking for a stock/chassis and trying to decide on MPA or Xylo for it. Benefit to MPA is folding stock option, which I wish Xylo offered.

Also too bad the Xylo long action doesn't have CIP length mag option.

@Winny94 - How would you compare Xylo to MPA? What is it that has you calling it a marvel? I have a deposit on one already to try it out, but I still have another action looking for a stock/chassis and trying to decide on MPA or Xylo for it. Benefit to MPA is folding stock option, which I wish Xylo offered.

The long action chassis will accept CIP length mags.

Reactions: stereo.pete
Anyone have thoughts on it compared to an Impact? I was lusting after one of those too and just jumped on one of these instead

I too have been thinking about an impact and was going to pull the trigger for this years build but decided to wait for SHOT. Glad I did. I’d still like an Impact but the ability to run Savage type prefits is a MAJOR plus for me to choose a Bighorn or ARC over an impact.....yesssss there are Impact prefits now.....but not nearly the variety out there with Savage threading.
Who knows maybe I’ll hate the Archimedes...but I’m willing to gamble.

I've found that I'm not a fan of chassis systems, preferring a stock like a Manners or Foundation. But this chassis seems to check a lot of boxes... Integral MLOK and Anschutz, rapid LOP adjustment, more cheek riser adjustments than I can count, flush cups....

I think I may have to preorder this just to give it a try. Gotta echo the above, why am I like this lol?

Hmmm. I didn’t love the idea at first but kind of coming around to it.

This will likely be my big boomer trust your life in deep Alaska hunting rifle. On one hand the mechanical ejector and increased leverage of extraction seem very nice for shtf scenarios. On the other hand the simplicity and less shit to break of the Curtis Helix seems nice as well.

A week to make my mind up and I’m sure t will come down to the wire.

@Jon_ARC

Is the website accurate regarding the Mausingfield changes?

[*]$1600
[*]Pin-less interchangeable scope rail secured by five conical-head, Torx-drive screws.
[*]Pin-less recoil lug is clocked by the scope rail.
[*]Salt-bath nitride finish improves corrosion resistance and reduces friction.

Reactions: alwaywatchyoursix
is that just an issue on the web site description then? it lists length at 3.78 instead of the 3.85" CIP length

The 3.85” refers to the outside of the magazine, while the 3.78” refers to the inside length of the action. Since the COAL inside of the 3.85” magazine is 3.75” there will be no clearance issues.

Attachments

• C6FC292D-4284-4AD6-8E9B-20653292A572.jpeg
    C6FC292D-4284-4AD6-8E9B-20653292A572.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 54
The thing Im most interested in is how the handle/ reciever is going to wear with that little cam lever. Self admittedly this may be a dumb question but I am no metallurgist so to me this seems like a weak spot. That said I have trust that the guys at ARC knows what their doing and preordered anyway.It seems to be beveled so as not to jam a sharp edge into the reciever wall but I am still curious if it's reinforced in anyway or are we relying on the handle being softer than the reciever or some other much more innovative solution. Anyone that's at shot able to look and see?

Hey everyone, thought I'd share this reply from the ARC sales team describing the main differences of their 3 actions. It cleared up some confusion I had as to the practical differences of all the techno-babel listed in the specs.

Straight from ARC:

"The Archimedes has a a bolt that acts upon a lever causing the bolt lift and closing to be extremely smooth and hardly any bump on close. It uses an extractor that rotates with the bolt. The bolt head is three lug. It is the smoothest action we have.

The Mausingfield just got upgraded to have a wider cocking piece which reduces the bolt lift and bump on close, but is still not as smooth as the Archimedes. This action is a more tradition action with a two lug bolt head. It uses an extractor that does not rotate with the bolt and is more robust causing it to have better extraction. The bolt stop is a clamp that allows for free entry of the bolt but needs to be activated to release.

The Nucleus is similar to the Archimedes but with a traditional bolt. This action is the cheapest for a reason. It has the heaviest bump on close which is still not that heavy. Its extractor rotates with the bolt and has a three lug bolt head. "

Hope this helps someone,

F23

Hey everyone, thought I'd share this reply from the ARC sales team describing the main differences of their 3 actions. It cleared up some confusion I had as to the practical differences of all the techno-babel listed in the specs.

Straight from ARC:

"The Archimedes has a a bolt that acts upon a lever causing the bolt lift and closing to be extremely smooth and hardly any bump on close. It uses an extractor that rotates with the bolt. The bolt head is three lug. It is the smoothest action we have.

The Mausingfield just got upgraded to have a wider cocking piece which reduces the bolt lift and bump on close, but is still not as smooth as the Archimedes. This action is a more tradition action with a two lug bolt head. It uses an extractor that does not rotate with the bolt and is more robust causing it to have better extraction. The bolt stop is a clamp that allows for free entry of the bolt but needs to be activated to release.

The Nucleus is similar to the Archimedes but with a traditional bolt. This action is the cheapest for a reason. It has the heaviest bump on close which is still not that heavy. Its extractor rotates with the bolt and has a three lug bolt head. "

Hope this helps someone,

F23
It is also mentioned in Teds post that Mausingfield gets the Nucreus bolt stop....the one revision I wish it didn’t get. I’m sure it’s hella stronger but it looks like a third fucking hairy nipple. Glad I got one of LRI’s M5’s Just wish I’d picked up a long action too when I did.

Reactions: TheMammoth
It is also mentioned in Teds post that Mausingfield gets the Nucreus bolt stop....the one revision I wish it didn’t get. I’m sure it’s hella stronger but it looks like a third fucking hairy nipple. Glad I got one of LRI’s M5’s Just wish I’d picked up a long action too when I did.

I did love the lines of the (orig) mausingfield, its why i have 2 ...

Reactions: TheMammoth
The Mausingfield does not have a Nucleus bolt stop. It has changed but its nothing like the Nucleus other than it stops the bolt

Nucreus? You live in Japan by chance? ???

Nucreus? You live in Japan by chance? ???
West Virginia lol.....but a huge fan of James Caan in El Dorado. I spelled it that way once upon a time and spell check still insists it’s a nucreus.
The Mausingfield does not have a Nucleus bolt stop. It has changed but its nothing like the Nucleus other than it stops the bolt
Thank you for clearing that up. I was hoping that was a misunderstanding on my part when I read Ted’s post. Hope I didn’t muddy the waters for anyone.

Q: is final invoice due upon May when they ship? Or is it due as soon as they start building them? Week from now? 3? 12?

Anyone play with this and have experience with an Impact action?

I wouldnt compare it much to the MPA - different purposes in my mind. The adjustments are better than any ive come across. Rack & pinion for the cheek piece is so interesting.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
Base weight is 3.4 pounds
Awesome. Thanks for the quick response.

One possible improvement to pass on to Ted for production units is to please add a way to easily adjust the cheek riser back to it's correct height after moving it.

Use Case: The user needs to remove the bolt, often this requires lowering the cheek riser. After he/she reinserts the bolt, it would be nice to have a way to quickly adjust back to the exact height for him/her.

For example: The KMW Loggerhead has a C-Clip that is placed on the riser stud. This allows the user to remove the checkpiece and place it back at the correct height.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response.

One possible improvement to pass on to Ted for production units is to please add a way to easily adjust the cheek riser back to it's correct height after moving it.

Use Case: The user needs to remove the bolt, often this requires lowering the cheek riser. After he/she reinserts the bolt, it would be nice to have a way to quickly adjust back to the exact height for him/her.

For example: The KMW Loggerhead has a C-Clip that is placed on the riser stud. This allows the user to remove the checkpiece and place it back at the correct height.

Haha, everyone knows what youre getting at, but can anyone imagine Ted using a c-clip or anything like that???

Reactions: z7.jled
I did love the lines of the (orig) mausingfield, its why i have 2 ...

This has me reconsidering the listing I have to sell my Mausingfield action (had listed it since I bought the LRI hunter version). May just have to hold on to it now with these changes in the new version.

Sorry, i don't know what that even means, Quantify? 1 week? 3? 6? 12? seven years? Which is it? (which is what my post said specifically)

"before the order is ready" is as vague as "before we all reach singularity"

Fucking god.
They email you week out asking for final payment. Once payment and FFL is received you get documentation with serial number and shipment info.

Sorry, i don't know what that even means, Quantify? 1 week? 3? 6? 12? seven years? Which is it? (which is what my post said specifically)

"before the order is ready" is as vague as "before we all reach singularity"

Fucking god.

You left out a key word in your quote from the invoice.

“SHORTLY before the order is ready” is how it exactly reads. It doesn’t read “we will contact you SHORTLY before we begin building you Action”.

Hopefully you’re not like some of the impatient fuckers that bitched on some of the prior threads about wait times. You’re complaining about how the invoice reads, I can’t imagine what’s going to happen if they’re a little behind on production. I ordered my Nuke on day 2 of the preorder and was notified in August they needed payment. I received my Nuke 5 days after payment. When they ask you to pay it’s probably done and sitting in a box on the shelf. Be patient because when you receive the product from ARC you will have a top of the line quality product.

Hopefully you’re not like some of the impatient fuckers that bitched on some of the prior threads about wait times. You’re complaining about how the invoice reads, I can’t imagine what’s going to happen if they’re a little behind on production.

YES.

Rule number 1: If you don't want a long wait, DO NOT PREORDER just buy something else.

Rule number 2: No matter how many times we learn this lesson, dozens of whining jackasses will complain endlessly about the wait.

I've never had my hands on any of the ARC actions, can someone tell me if the bolt stop on the Archimedes is under a type of spring tension so it returns to the stop position? Or is it a type of detent or whatever where it will stay in the open position when turned there? Couldn't tell in the vid earlier with Ted.

Yes, super smooth action. Liked it a lot. You don’t notice the pivot really when running normal to fast.

Until you add a fired case in the chamber.

Seems to me that is going to eliminate the ability to “flick” the bolt backwards with the back of your index finger/knuckle when cycling the bolt for a quick follow up shot and instead require that you grasp and pull the bolt backwards for primary extraction.

Sure there might be a super strong lever in the system, but the solution seems likely to be worse than the problem it was trying to fix.

I’m going to hazard a semi educated guess that the mechanical advantage supplied by the handle and pivot provide enough leverage that the force exerted is wayyy less than the force required for primary extraction on your typical cammed bolt action or Ted wouldn’t have jacked around with it. AND got a haircut.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
You were never flicking a stuck case back to begin with. The only time primary extraction is heavily used is when you notice it, that crunch at the top of the bolt lift. If you keep your loads at sane pressures and don't have chamber rings it's usually not used.

About the only argument I can make against it is that it might cause a violent rearward travel once the case lets loose, causing you to lose your grip on the bolt handle and look a little goofy.