• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

Tracking all about the BARLOC portion, thank you.
I'm really getting at if I have to get a new barrel for the Archimedes or not, since I am swapping the Nucleus for my new Archimedes in my match gun. I have a shouldered prefit barrel from PVA for a Nucleus with BARLOC. If the Archimedes doesn't have the beveled recoil lug of the Nucleus will the headspace remain the same if you use the beveled washer on each end of the Barloc? It doesn't appear so according to the BARLOC pdf (images "without lug" and "with lug") on the ARC site.

I think it will still work but I'd call them to make sure.

Tracking all about the BARLOC portion, thank you.
I'm really getting at if I have to get a new barrel for the Archimedes or not, since I am swapping the Nucleus for my new Archimedes in my match gun. I have a shouldered prefit barrel from PVA for a Nucleus with BARLOC. If the Archimedes doesn't have the beveled recoil lug of the Nucleus will the headspace remain the same if you use the beveled washer on each end of the Barloc? It doesn't appear so according to the BARLOC pdf (images "without lug" and "with lug") on the ARC site.

The measurement difference is 0.185in; conveniently, the Nucleus recoil lug is 0.185in thick. There’s an additional couple thou of possible tolerance stackup but you can get ~0.010” of accommodation using the BARLOC. You’ll be good to go.

Note that barrel timing may be slightly off if you tighten onto the go gauge; you’re probably within the Go Gauge to Field Gauge range after tightening the BARLOC if you maintain barrel timing.

Edit; awesome, it looks like the BARLOC is for sale again. FWIW my rifle got knocked off my bench this afternoon and took a hard hit each to the muzzle brake and scope (Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56), and the first and subsequent shots after I picked it back up hit an IPSC at 1000yd. I have the nut variant BARLOC on a Savage prefit.

Last edited:
The measurement difference is 0.185in; conveniently, the Nucleus recoil lug is 0.185in thick. There’s an additional couple thou of possible tolerance stackup but you can get ~0.010” of accommodation using the BARLOC. You’ll be good to go.

Note that barrel timing may be slightly off if you tighten onto the go gauge; you’re probably within the Go Gauge to Field Gauge range after tightening the BARLOC if you maintain barrel timing.

Edit; awesome, it looks like the BARLOC is for sale again. FWIW my rifle got knocked off my bench this afternoon and took a hard hit each to the muzzle brake and scope (Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56), and the first and subsequent shots after I picked it back up hit an IPSC at 1000yd. I have the nut variant BARLOC on a Savage prefit.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up. I just picked up my action yesterday, I'll have to put it together today to see how it interfaces.

As for the BARLOC, I know the rumor is that it might loose zero if it is bumped. But has there been any sort of verification of this, officially? ARC's website still states that it hasn't been tested by them. You'd think that one would want to stomp out that rumor by testing, or if found valid, fix the issue as it erodes consumer confidence in the product. So far ARC has been all over getting the issues fixed with the Nucleus striker spring and the Archimedes release.

I just wish they would slow down with the release of new products to ensure they are completely ready to go....but that's like, my opinion man.

I have a Nucleus and have a 15, 19 and have ordered a 25 pound spring.

I plan on using firing pin spring weight and firing pin protrusion to tune my Archimedes. And with the extra cocking piece I have coming I should be able figure out the perfect, for me, feel.

The only primers I had problems with in my Nucleus is hard Military primers. Commercial primers are not an issue, so far.

I spent an afternoon measuring and adjusting. With the 15 pound spring and .032” firing pin protrusion my Nucleus has a pretty amazing bolt throw now. And so far no light strikes using FGMM primers.

I suspect adjusting the firing pin protrusion, using a lightweight firing pin spring and different co king piece I can duplicate it in the Archimedes.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up. I just picked up my action yesterday, I'll have to put it together today to see how it interfaces.

As for the BARLOC, I know the rumor is that it might loose zero if it is bumped. But has there been any sort of verification of this, officially? ARC's website still states that it hasn't been tested by them. You'd think that one would want to stomp out that rumor by testing, or if found valid, fix the issue as it erodes consumer confidence in the product. So far ARC has been all over getting the issues fixed with the Nucleus striker spring and the Archimedes release.

I just wish they would slow down with the release of new products to ensure they are completely ready to go....but that's like, my opinion man.
I believe it was more with the shouldered barrel version.
if preloaded as per directions I haven’t heard of any problems with the barrel nut version

Reactions: ElvisUSMC

ARC did some testing and found that they could produce POI shift with the Barloc. They also found that they could produce POI shift with shouldered barrels. Just depends on how hard you smack things around.

I've done some testing with my shouldered setup and what I found is that within reason (I tried to replicate what I thought would be the worst-case drop/impact in a match) there is no POI shift IF when you torque the screw down there is still a gap on the top side of the barloc. The same holds true with the savage nut styles where you torque the nut first to ensure a gap exists when the screw is tightened.

FWIW, I have at least a dozen SA, RH, Gen 1 Mausingfields on the floor ready right now. These have the internal box features for the hinged floor plate along with an "open architecture" loading port for top loading an ADL/BDL format. They'll also accept DBM setups.

These actions were special order pieces I did last year with ARC. They are "in the white" for coating in whatever you'd like. Bolts are nitrided.

Happy to help

I did one of these last year and it’s my absolute favorite gun. Good to hear there are still some shorts left. Wish there were more longs.

ARC did some testing and found that they could produce POI shift with the Barloc. They also found that they could produce POI shift with shouldered barrels. Just depends on how hard you smack things around.

I've done some testing with my shouldered setup and what I found is that within reason (I tried to replicate what I thought would be the worst-case drop/impact in a match) there is no POI shift IF when you torque the screw down there is still a gap on the top side of the barloc. The same holds true with the savage nut styles where you torque the nut first to ensure a gap exists when the screw is tightened.

Good info, thank you.

I put the barrel on yesterday, after setting headspace, tightening the BARLOC, my BARLOC clamp has no gap, and the two sides look to be touching against each other. You are right, when installing the BARLOC with Nut, you are to tighten the nut until you can fit the nut wrench in between the gap in the clamp, then torque the clamp screw to 90inlbs. I wonder if, with the shouldered barrel using the BARLOC clamp, that I'm not getting enough forcing function due to those two points touching under torque?

I saw a few months back that PVA had Bushings for shouldered barrels intended for Nucleus actions with BARLOC. I'm assuming these are so the customer can just torque the barrel to the action using a wrench, like a normal person.

One day turn around. I asked for a shipping label on Friday, received label and dropped off at UPS on Friday (same day), they received the action Monday, I received shipping notification on Tuesday. I sent a TT Pro trigger and they timed it at no charge with a 35 cocking piece. I'm having a hard time being upset.

I just received shipment notification as well. They received my full action and Geissele trigger yesterday at 11am. I'm thinking they may just be putting new bolts in them and getting them out the door. I can't see how they could machine them and get them coated in 24hrs.

One day turnaround here as well. They got my action yesterday and I just got my notice that my action was on its way back.

Very pleased with this level of service.

Reactions: Dooby
Without the gap, you are not getting enough force.

Good info, thank you.

I put the barrel on yesterday, after setting headspace, tightening the BARLOC, my BARLOC clamp has no gap, and the two sides look to be touching against each other. You are right, when installing the BARLOC with Nut, you are to tighten the nut until you can fit the nut wrench in between the gap in the clamp, then torque the clamp screw to 90inlbs. I wonder if, with the shouldered barrel using the BARLOC clamp, that I'm not getting enough forcing function due to those two points touching under torque?

I saw a few months back that PVA had Bushings for shouldered barrels intended for Nucleus actions with BARLOC. I'm assuming these are so the customer can just torque the barrel to the action using a wrench, like a normal person.

Sent mine in last week, got shipment notification yesterday. All I sent was the bolt. Hoping the Triggertech triggers are consistent enough that they can set it up with the right sear without having my actual trigger.

-Dan

20191001_175904.jpg

Got mine out today. Pre-fix as I'm running mine this weekend at the GAP Grind. Can definitely tell there's a bump to overcome on the final bit before turning the bolt down. Otherwise she ran flawlessly, throwing brass halfway across the range when running hard.

For those that have it in hand... what is the measurement for the threaded tenon depth of the action (i.e. ~.700” for Remington 700). Im trying to get a McMillan going for it but since they haven't had one they don't know for sure the length and my barrel is just a proof sendero blank at the moment. I am trying to figure out the barrel cylinder measurement for them. Uncut is measures 3.03 to the first taper

Last edited:
View attachment 7156953

Got mine out today. Pre-fix as I'm running mine this weekend at the GAP Grind. Can definitely tell there's a bump to overcome on the final bit before turning the bolt down. Otherwise she ran flawlessly, throwing brass halfway across the range when running hard.
Sir, I could not help but notice that your rifle seems to have some sort of metallic arm sticking off of it on the left hand side of the action. Perhaps the folks at ARC can correct this for you at the same time as they perform the other fix. :p

Edit: Lemme say G'damn to the folks at ARC... add me to the one day turnaround list. I sent in my complete action (to include the Calvin Elite), and while UPS took their sweet time getting it to ARC, Ted and the crew sure as hell didn't take any time getting it turned around... just got the shipping notification that it's headed back my way after only a few hours onsite. Bravo to the ARC team!

Last edited:
Sir, I could not help but notice that your rifle seems to have some sort of metallic arm sticking off of it on the left hand side of the action. Perhaps the folks at ARC can correct this for you at the same time as they perform the other fix. :p

Yeah it's weird... All my rifles seem to be afflicted with that protrusion... I did give her a facelift though. She looks good at least.

Attachments

• 20191002_203550.jpg
    20191002_203550.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: BurnOut and gnochi
Got mine back today, smooooth. Probably smoother than my M5. It's going to be a fast action I think.

Just got my Long Action back as well. It is much smoother than before. Running a TT Diamond. Much smoother than both my Nucleus' (Nuclei?).

I was hoping ARC would have the updated rail too and have installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20191003_180254.jpg
    IMG_20191003_180254.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191003180641209_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191003180641209_COVER.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 118
*** Edited After Cooling Off ***

Just got my action back and the bolt handle has substantial wear down to bare metal. I was pretty upset about this as the action was going into a gun being given as a gift. I called ARC and apparently this is the result of running the bolt while testing the trigger. They said this is supposed to be a wear point. I wish they would have treated the handle to help prevent this. It's an awfully expensive action to have bare metal visible with the bolt closed.

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_011343.jpg
    IMG_20191006_011343.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20191006_011519.jpg
    IMG_20191006_011519.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20191006_011604.jpg
    IMG_20191006_011604.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20191006_010820.jpg
    IMG_20191006_010820.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20191006_011234.jpg
    IMG_20191006_011234.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
? I wouldn’t be happy to receive that, I’d be embarrassed to have sent that out.

Or was it good when they put it in and that’s just where it rubs on the receiver when you cycle it like every other bolt?

Reactions: HOLLYW00D
Or was it good when they put it in and that’s just where it rubs on the receiver when you cycle it like every other bolt?

That picture is straight out of the box and I dont have a single bolt action rifles that has bare metal on the bolt handle from running the bolt.

Reactions: konjiki7
I haven't sent mine in yet, but I'm pretty sure my bolt looks very similar just from cycling it. Mine you can't see when the bolt is closed and since the hardening they use is in the metal and not the finish, I'm not worried about it. I was planning on using mine anyway not entering it into beauty pageants.

Of note, when I covered the worn area with sharpie and cycled the bolt a bunch of times, it came back in the same spot.
I'm still not worried about it, but if you call ARC on Monday, I'm pretty sure they'll make everything right.
IMG_5711.jpg

Edit to add the pic.

Last edited:
Reactions: r3daction
I haven't sent mine in yet, but I'm pretty sure my bolt looks very similar just from cycling it. Mine you can't see when the bolt is closed and since the hardening they use is in the metal and not the finish, I'm not worried about it. I was planning on using mine anyway not entering it into beauty pageants.
Mine is clearly visible with the bolt closed. It's right there on the top. No one is shotting in beauty pageants but this build was going to be surprise for my wife and I'd sure like to give her a rifle that didn't look used.

Chat with ARC on Monday and I'll bet they'll trade you that handle with one that looks purdy.

These comments are disheartening. This is a new action. Bare metal showing on a bolt handle without primary extraction. Blame the customer for a damaged finish.

These comments are disheartening. This is a new action. Bare metal showing on a bolt handle without primary extraction. Blame the customer for a damaged finish.

It sounds like you are suggesting ARC blamed the customer here.

Spife7980 sort of mentioned it as a possibility, but that's not ARC, thats just a member here trying to think of reasons for the wear line. I have a wear line just like that on my Ruger Precision Rifle after a bunch of range trips (but that entire rifle was cheaper than just the Archimedes action so I don't care). So, Spifes point is that it can be a wear point, not really placing blame, just bringing up the possibility.

It was the suggestion that it was there before being sent back. That is not a wear mark. There is no feathering, those scratches if happened during cycling would suggest to me a lay person in metallurgy that that contact area needs some work.

The suggestion that it doesn’t matter the condition someone returns your item. I grew up as “same or better condition”. Washed lawnmower or car tank full of gas. This idea that anyone should be content with less than that merely because their item isn’t a safe queen.

I added a pic to my last post. The one I have has a similar, but not as pronounced wear mark in the same place. I couldn't readily tell exactly where the rubbing is coming from. It's something different for sure, but there's never really been an action that works this way, so I'm sure there are going to be some differences.

But there really isn't any reason to get emotionally angry about it. Call ARC tomorrow and talk with them. I am confident that they will make everything right. I can totally understand the annoyance with the thing just being returned though.

I'm was looking at it closer and it looks to me that since they turned down the rear of the bolt a little bit it can now be push up to hit the action just barely. Looks like if the bolt handle was trimmed a few thousandths it couldn't reach the action to do this.

Correct one thing, up pops another... I'm an ARC fan but damn, I gotta admit this is turning in to a gaggle. Top it off, I paid my RH LA invoice almost a month ago and ARC still hasnt shipped it.

Edit: ARC shipped the action in its most updated revision approximately one month after payment.

Last edited:
I’m with you on that. Glad this is not my first custom action. I’d be totally put off if it were. Paid my invoice on the 11th.

I'm was looking at it closer and it looks to me that since they turned down the rear of the bolt a little bit it can now be push up to hit the action just barely. Looks like if the bolt handle was trimmed a few thousandths it couldn't reach the action to do this.

The lever touches the action as it slides. There is a corresponding ramp on the action, the arm touches as the bolt slides forward and backward.

The extraction thing is what gets me, that was the key feature of the design, it feels like we got the trammel of Archimedes instead of the lever.

The extraction thing is what gets me, that was the key feature of the design, it feels like we got the trammel of Archimedes instead of the lever.

I hadn't heard of anyone having extraction issues. Is that what you mean by this statement?

That picture is straight out of the box and I dont have a single bolt action rifles that has bare metal on the bolt handle from running the bolt.

You should, the extractor cam on most actions gets the finish rubbed off of both surfaces. While the Arch doesn’t have an axtractor cam, can you not see that the bolt handle stops on the receiver body when in the full up position?

Yes, you’re out of line.

A few posts above yours.
44BD46D6-73EC-4D88-AA4E-E747F35B8AE2.jpeg

I've read this entire thread thru a couple of times, and don't really see much on the Mausingfield. Do any of these issues apply to the new, M7 Mausingfield?

I hadn't heard of anyone having extraction issues. Is that what you mean by this statement?
The action I received has 1/8" of free take up at the bolt handle before the lever does its magic and that only retracts the bolt ~0.031" and more than half of that is given away under the extractor.
2019-09-22 23.44.20.jpg

I've read this entire thread thru a couple of times, and don't really see much on the Mausingfield. Do any of these issues apply to the new, M7 Mausingfield?
I have no issues with my M7 so far. I haven't shot it yet though, still missing the barrel. But all functions seem very good.

Reactions: Jake the dog
I have no issues with my M7 so far. I haven't shot it yet though, still missing the barrel. But all functions seem very good.
Did you order directly from ARC? What was the lead time? I'm torn between the LRI Hunter, and the M7. I really want the M7, but not if there is a long lead time. I don't mind wating, but I'm not interested in a PVA John Hancock debacle .