• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns ammo and ethics

Exo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
El Mirage, Arizona
Hey all, quick question. I made an ammo purchase online through a good vendor that I have had good experience with in the past. The catch was i needed this ammo FAST. I have a two day class next weekend as part of my Admin. of Justice degree that I needed several hundred rounds for. I emailed the company in question, explained why I needed it so fast, they responded no problem, I will get it on the truck for you today. Well they did, and I received it.
grin.gif

Then a couple days later, I received ANOTHER package, the same order in fact.

So now I have in my possession, 1 order in which I payed for, and 1 order in which I didnt...and I am thinking the company was so overwhelmed they accidently sent it out twice.

I have emailed the company, explaining the situation, and also explaining that I will gladly ship it back to them, if they email me a pre-paid shipping label.

My question is, how long do I wait for a reply from them, before I just accept the second order as an overlook, and do my little happy dance? My thought is, wait a week. If I dont hear anything, then cool...if I do, then whatever I'll ship it back.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Re: ammo and ethics

Karma.
Just ship it back no matter how long it takes for them to get back. It sounds like they have great CS, treated you with care. You should do the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chalwie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Karma.
Just ship it back no matter how long it takes for them to get back. It sounds like they have great CS, treated you with care. You should do the same. </div></div>

Of course!

^^+1^^
Or work out a deal where they give you a discount for your honesty and time to pay for the extra ammo. One cannot have too much IMO.

I think if you're in a hurry to wait a week and then do your "happy dance"... you're a dick....

nothing under 30 days is moral... I'd probably say 90 at minimum...

but considering that they're a "good vendor".. that you've had "good experience with in the past"... and that they flat hooked your ass up on the rush shipping this time...

I'd personally send it back COD, at the least, and possibly on my own dime, but I'd bet that if you asked, they're be willing to let you keep enough ammo to compensate you for the shipping

This is a devil angel question!! be good and do the right thing!! best policy keeps us out of trouble!! and i agree the took care of you when you needed them so it is you turn to pay it forward and take care of them!

So you bought something from me in the PX at a damn good price.

During the course of packing it up to ship to you my wallet accidentally falls into the box.

My area gets hit by a storm and I lose power for a week therefore losing your phone number/contact info. Not to mention I'm busy as hell trying to get a tree off my roof.

The wallet has $300 cash in it.

Should you wait a while to see if I want it back or just wait two weeks and then a happy dance at your luck?

woah woah woah...guys calm down..maybe I came off wrong in my post.

I WANT TO DO THE RIGHT THING...I am a broke as a joke college student so sending this back on my dime (while it would be the best thing, i agree with that) is not entirely possible. I guess my question was how long do I wait for a reply...The second order I received, I havent opened, and honestly dont intend to, until I hear from them.

Force, I dont know the ammo industry, I know everyone is fucking swamped right now, so I just didnt know how long to wait. under 30 days is immoral...ok got it. 90 days is better? understood. no need to jump down my neck about it.

for the record, email is the ONLY way to get ahold of them at this point...their phone goes directly to a recording stating this...otherwise I would just keep calling until I got ahold of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">woah woah woah...guys calm down..maybe I came off wrong in my post.

I WANT TO DO THE RIGHT THING...I am a broke as a joke college student so sending this back on my dime (while it would be the best thing, i agree with that) is not entirely possible. I guess my question was how long do I wait for a reply...The second order I received, I havent opened, and honestly dont intend to, until I hear from them.

Force, I dont know the ammo industry, I know everyone is fucking swamped right now, so I just didnt know how long to wait. under 30 days is immoral...ok got it. 90 days is better? understood. no need to jump down my neck about it.

for the record, email is the ONLY way to get ahold of them at this point...their phone goes directly to a recording stating this...otherwise I would just keep calling until I got ahold of them. </div></div>

We understand where you're coming from. You asked about ethics. They made a mistake and sent you goods that you didn't pay for. You're asking how long to wait before you just keep it. You have your answers on the ethical side of things.

if it was walmart or dicks, F-em. if it is a mom-pop shop, man up and pay for the second shipment.

if you can't afford it, i'll but it from you, then you can forward the payment to the vendor.

I'm sure when they get caught up they'll find their mistake and also the email you sent and be forever grateful you are a stand up customer and it won't be forgotten. Remember the old days when we could sell an item on a forum and have it sent off and the payment would pass in the mail? I still do that occasionally on certain forums.

The company you got the ammo from must really have great customer service and made sure you got what you needed promptly, that alone would be enough to take whatever measures needed to correct the error they made. Big believer in Karma, good luck with your class.

Topstrap

I received two orders from a Hide vendor. I ordered an item for $35; the other box was meant for someone else and contained items totaling $450. I kept calling the Hide vendor until I contacted him and he sent me a label to send package to other customer.

Not once did I think of retaining that package. Do the right thing and just wait until you hear from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it was walmart or dicks, F-em. if it is a mom-pop shop, man up and pay for the second shipment.

if you can't afford it, i'll but it from you, then you can forward the payment to the vendor. </div></div>

So explain to me how doing the right thing depends on who he bought the ammo from?

I also am a poor college student, but I would never think of retaining something that wasnt mine, especially if the error is in part due to my impatience to receive said item.

because the large national chains stores are the death of america.

i gladly pay $30 more for a $200 ladder at the local hardware store than go to lowes or home depot.

I dont want to hijack but I have never understood this reasoning.

Say I own a small business, a gun store. I am the life blood of america, unlike evil big businesses like walmart.
Now say I run the store for 50 years and I die. For the 50 years I ran the store I did very well, well enough to open 2 other stores in separate counties.
Now my descendants take the company over. Following my lead they also do quite well and expand with stores in other states. Time passes and they die off.
A third generation of Obvious' takes the company over and does so well that they take the company national with stores in every state. Now the company is so large it has ran dicks and walmart out of business. My company now has stores in every town in america. While my customer service isnt what it was when I personally ran it, the company can operate on a thinner profit margin. I can now sell products cheaper than other smaller companies. Many middle class familys choose my store because of the value that my company can offer.
Now my company is an evil, blood sucking, anti american, brick and morter chain. Everyday people are demonizing my company saying that I dont care about small towns or everyday people and I am only in it for the money. These people now avoid my chain of stores to spend their money at local "mom and pop" shops.

So tell me, when did my theoretical company turn from the all important small business that is the backbone of american into the evil chain stores that are the death of america?

Just write refused on the box and give it back to UPS/FedEx. They will return it for free. It will get back to the sender.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also am a poor college student, but I would never think of retaining something that wasnt mine, especially if the error is in part due to my impatience to receive said item. </div></div>

If someone mails something to you, and it is addressed to you, it is yours to keep. You are under no obligation to return it or pay for it.

It is by his good graces that he is returning the erroneously shipped ammo (and I would do the same thing). But don't suggest that it's something that is required of him, because it isn't. It isn't stealing if they sent it to you.

I don't know why you even need to ask.

I understand telling of your event and how the company was good to you. How they jumped thru hoops due to your lack of preperation. Letting everyone know their customer service is good to go.

Its a no brainer to just mail it back to them with a note explaining what happened and thanking them for the great customer service.

You should be able to just write "Return to Sender" and take it back to the shipping company. As long as the box is not open it should be free at least for you to ship it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it was walmart or dicks, F-em. if it is a mom-pop shop, man up and pay for the second shipment.

if you can't afford it, i'll but it from you, then you can forward the payment to the vendor. </div></div>

So explain to me how doing the right thing depends on who he bought the ammo from?

I also am a poor college student, but I would never think of retaining something that wasnt mine, especially if the error is in part due to my impatience to receive said item. </div></div>

Simple rationalization. "I think your ethics suck so I can compromise my ethics and remain morally superior to you."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just write refused on the box and give it back to UPS/FedEx. They will return it for free. It will get back to the sender.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If someone mails something to you, and it is addressed to you, it is yours to keep. You are under no obligation to return it or pay for it.

It is by his good graces that he is returning the erroneously shipped ammo (and I would do the same thing). But don't suggest that it's something that is required of him, because it isn't. It isn't stealing if they sent it to you. </div></div>

The thread was about ethics, not legality.

The ammo is probably legally his, that wasnt his question.

I'd call them and see how much they'd sell me the second box for. Then decide if I wanted the ammo for the same price as the first shipment. Since the market sucks right now, that's a deal.

^ this. Maybe they'll make you a deal on the ammo. If not, they can give you their UPS or Fedex number and ship it on back. Karma man.

You can't "refuse - return to sender" - you have already accepted delivery.

Do not return without an RMA (return material authorization). I (actually my company) was burned by a vendor when they said "send to this address". The RMA will link the return with an invoice / track.

Keep reminding them . . .

Kevin

I've decided im just going to keep it right where its at, unopened, and email them everyday until they email me back. At that point, I will see what they want to do. I like everybody's input, money is scarce, ammo is scarce...its very tempting to just sweep it under the mat and say "oops". But I would like to do business with them again and dont want this to haunt any future deals.

Thanks,