• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo checker wanted

wonderdogroscoe

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2019
I will be loading 308 Win. for a bolt action rifle and an AR. Which ammo gauge would be a good one to use for this task. I have read reviews on MidWay but would like opinions from the Hide. I use a revolver cylinder to check my 44s and have a Hornady gauge for that plunk test. I am not real anxious to use the rifle chamber to check so I would like something else. Thanks, Jerry

I will be loading 308 Win. for a bolt action rifle and an AR. Which ammo gauge would be a good one to use for this task. I have read reviews on MidWay but would like opinions from the Hide. I use a revolver cylinder to check my 44s and have a Hornady gauge for that plunk test. I am not real anxious to use the rifle chamber to check so I would like something else. Thanks, Jerry
Use either Hornady's comparor kit with the applicable bushing or equivalent to check your rifle's case head to shoulder datum. Then get another compator to measure case head to ogive

Those ammo cylinder checkers are largely worthless except they make for half decent small paperweights.

Hornady tool- measuring for shoulder bump
IMG_3406.jpeg

Measuring for case head to ogive (here im using
a modified case to determine case head to ogive when bullet is seated to the lands using Hornady's CBTO tool).
IMG_3403.jpeg

Reactions: mtrmn
Use either Hornady's comparor kit with the applicable bushing or equivalent to check your rifle's case head to shoulder datum. Then get another compator to measure case head to ogive

Those ammo cylinder checkers are largely worthless except they make for half decent small paperweights.

Hornady tool- measuring for shoulder bump
View attachment 8311640

Measuring for case head to ogive (here im using
a modified case to determine case head to ogive when bullet is seated to the lands using Hornady's CBTO tool).
View attachment 8311641
Hornady gauges and comparators are great. The “Nut” shaped comparators are not something I would recommend. YMMV

For sample or spot checking, the comparator is fine. It will lead to hand cramps if you try to do 100 rnds a session tho. LOL. For that, ie checking large lots of ammo, the fixed gauge like LE wilson is the way to go. They absolutely aren't required (in general) for precision bolt guns, but they are useful when dealing with this particular use case.

Hornady gauges and comparators are great. The “Nut” shaped comparators are not something I would recommend. YMMV
Ive never had an issue with using them but there are better tools out now a days.

Sheridan window gauge for the win . Gauge naysayers are full of shit, ignore them and buy a Sheridan . People recommend LE Wilson all the time , Sheridans actually measure where it is needed and Show you what is going on .

Reactions: MediumSpeed
Ive never had an issue with using them but there are better tools out now a days.
Howdy. Yeah the comparator nuts work. I just found it faster to have two micrometers, a bullet comparator set and a headspace comparator set when I am setting up the press and dies or spot checking reloads. The drop gauges are just handy for QC, but the comparator set are a must for measurements.

OP there are several manufacturers (Hornady, Sinclair, etc), and fairly inexpensive….

Howdy. Yeah the comparator nuts work. I just found it faster to have two micrometers, a bullet comparator set and a headspace comparator set when I am setting up the press and dies or spot checking reloads. The drop gauges are just handy for QC, but the comparator set are a must for measurements.

OP there are several manufacturers (Hornady, Sinclar, etc), and fairly inexpensive….

Yea the nuts haven't done me wrong so havent had the urge to upgrade, at least not yet...

The drop gauges are fine for checking but, like you said, shouldnt be the only measurment / validation tool in the tool box. If the OP already has the comparator tools then he's good to go but based on what he said in his first post, i get the impression he doesnt hence why i mentioned it.

The EGW block @RegionRat posted above is prob what Id get if i was going to incorporate such a tool into my routine since it allows for bulk ammo checks vs dropping cases in one at a time into a single cylinder which would prob take forever.

Reactions: mtrmn
I agree. I don’t have one, once I find a load for a rifle that Dillon toolhead stays the same. I QC the first 20-30rds when I change toolheads to verify nothing has changed, the spot check every 20th round afterward. Typically if there is change vs my notes I find it in the first few rounds. The remaining QC is a little OCD, but I loaded 250rds a few decades ago and found a flaw, resulting in pulled bullets and reloading. Don’t want to do that again. Lesson learned😀

Another vote for comparator. I'm liking the Ugly Reloading comparator set I got compared to my Hornady set. The Hornady set works though. Check every 10 rounds if you're concerned about seating or shoulder bump inconsistency. Shouldn't be a problem though if your dies are screwed on tight.

Sheridan window gauge for the win . Gauge naysayers are full of shit, ignore them and buy a Sheridan . People recommend LE Wilson all the time , Sheridans actually measure where it is needed and Show you what is going on .

I agree. Sheridans are very good.

1704163316254.png