• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo Choice- Privi P Match, PMC, or Fed. Am. Eagle

pnorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
I am about to buy some bulk ammo and was just curious as to your thoughts as far as (1) accuracy, (2) quality, (3) which stores well as to the above. If you know something better for around the same price I am all ears. Sorry if this is old turf. Thanks.

Re: Ammo Choice- Privi P Match, PMC, or Fed. Am. Eagle

I've had mixed results with the Prvi Match ammo.

The 308Win 168-gr BTHP at best it's 1-moa in various bolt rifles like Rem 5R, VS, or Sako TRG. Most of the time it's over one to one and a half moa. Poor consistancy in accuracy. Also, headspacing was tight with this flavor in my Remington 5R's.

The 308Win 175-gr FMJ-BT works well in my Rem 5R's, and at times it comes close to M118LR performance. I shot a 5" group at 1200-yards with it in a 5R. With other rifles the accuracy was poor or below average for Match grade ammo.

The 223Rem 69-gr BTHP works fairly well in my LMT AR in M4 configuration (factory CB 16" barrel). I used this flavor in the LMT at a tactical match shooting 10" plates out to 500-yards, and it worked well for me. Equals accuracy of BHA red box with the 69-SMK's in my LMT. Poor performance in my Remington 5R, Just above one moa in the LMT, and one to two moa with this in the bolt gun.

In the future, I will never ever buy the 308Win 168-gr stuff again, no matter what the price is. The other stuff is good training ammo for the price.

As to the accuracy portion of your inquiry, you best buy a box of each and shoot groups to see which works best in your stick. I've had weapons that shot plain old Remington corelock better than high dollar premium loads.

Also, do you reload. That may effect your decision if you need reloadable brass.

Storage should not really be an issue if you stick them in ammo cans and store in a dry area.

If you take a few min and sort the prvi by weight out the, it makes it way more consistent. Still not the end-all-be-all but it helps a ton.

PMC is the most consistent "cheap non match" ammo I have found.

Having used all of the above mentioned I rate them in this order:
Fed/Am Eagle
PMC
Prvi

The accuracy with the Prvi is defiantly not as good as the others IME.

I like the PMC myself followed by Federal ammo. Price wise they are about the same but I can say I have never had a primer blow out of the PMC ammo. After I get done with this 500 round box of XM193 I would like to get the PMC and stay with it. However, with the way ammo is selling off the shelves you can go wrong with either one.

I bought some "cheap" PMC 55 gr FMJ ammo for classes and checked my zero with it this morning. I was pleasantly surprised to get 1 inch groups with it out of my LWRC 1:7 SPR. That was with a 1-4 power TR24 German #4 dot reticle, off a bipod/bench. Wasn't expecting it to group near that well. Nice.

Wow, great info guys. I appreciate it. I think your idea of buying a box of each before doing a bulk buy is an outstanding idea. The PMC stuff is nicely priced to. I am not reloading yet, however, I will in the future. That is why I am looking for brass cased ammo.

PMC shoots best but its brass sucks. I can only get maybe 2-3 reloads out of it before it looks like it will head separate.

American Eagle is pretty decent accuracy wise and its brass is pretty good.

Privi is inconsistent, I've reloaded it and it performs much better after weight sorting. Variation between the lightest and heaviest is pretty wide, like 1.5 grains. It's brass is pretty ok though.

When at the range, I would pick up Privi and American Eagle brass. If I find PMC, I'd toss it into the grass. I only load frangible rounds into PMC brass because it is expendable.

I have excellent results with Privi Match 223(75gn) & 308(168gn).
Never used PMC.
American Eagle(55gn 223 & 168gn 308) is decent and very reliable but not as accurate as the Privi, IMO.

Privi I think is the best kept secret, Remington 308 700 SPS Varmint with a 1-12 twist rate. 168gr BTHP Match, used it in a a one week course and it was going neck and neck for accuracy against PMC. I purchased a case of 500 rounds all the same lot and I was more then happy.

Just goes to show you, you will never know until you shoot it.

I am going to guess that you must be talking about the 168 grain match loads that all three make.

I use AE 168 OTM all the time, it shoots exceptionally well in both my .308's (about 1/2 MOA when the trigger monkey isn't dickin stuff up)
One is a 5R mil-spec, the other is savage model 12 with a Lothar Walther match barrel.

Niether one will shoot the Prvi 168 worth a shit. I bought 100 bullets to handload and see if I could use it for low cost training ammo. VERY inconsistent bullets, the base looks like shit, and the base is VERY important to accuracy.

I have not tried the PMC match ammo, have not had any reason to shift from the AE load and I can't find it locally.

A much better option than the Prvi, most of the time is the USA Ammo loads. It has shot reasonably well in both my rifles.

Also consider the Southwest ammo run and gun,I have never used it, but it gets very good reviews and is very reasonably priced.

You will be MUCH better off buying a smaller quantity of quality ammo than buying a bunch of poor ammo.

Since this is in a semi-auto thread, I will point out that the AE 168 OTM load is made especially for gas guns and comes with crimped, sealed primers.

Add FIOCCHI match and surplus M118LR to your list of ammo to try before you buy.

From personal experiance with about 1000 rounds of Privi 168 gr .308 match ammo, it was capable of very good accuracy, but it was also VERY inconsistent. I believe looking at older threads will show that others have had better success can be had with the Privi in 175 gr .308 match ammo as well as in Privi's 5.56 stuff.