• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo question

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
What kind of quality can be expected out of this german SMA308DAG 147gr surplus ammo from the 90s ? I just run into it on an ammo site and got curious ... They also have another , also german , SMA308MEN (really) also 147gr . They are not corrosive . Anybody knows if it would be worth shooting it ? It is certainly cheap . Just wondering ...

Re: Ammo question

Obviously you can't expect it to shoot like FGMM, but if you are just looking to get in trigger time to work on mechanics, you should be fine. Can't comment on how it will group.

Quality and safe for sure. MEN was some of the best bulk surplus to be had back in the day. Like the above poster stated,it's not match.....but for practice or ringing steel at shorter distances it will do fine. TJR

Not bad surplus - I have lots of it and it works very well. I also like Hirtenberger if you can get it.

I just bought a shit ton of it to shoot in my SCAR H.
I've only burned around 200 rounds of it, but it shoots fine and is actually fairly clean. Not very accurate, but hell, it's cheap and good enough for what I use it for.

which one is better , the DAG or the MEN ? Perhaps I can get me 200 rds box ...

As far as surplus goes I have heard they are one of the best. A word of warning thOugh is that the bolt would get locked when running it on my savage fcp-k. Ended up selling the rest of what I had

I got a little under 200 rounds from a friend of the MEN and it shot pretty good. Most groups were around 1 inch some under with a Remington 700 SPSV at 100M. Even out of a Cetme it shot well. At 300M it spread quite a bit. But for plinking ammo its not bad. I did not have as good of luck with the DAG ammo thou. Groups were quite larger.

I've seen ok results with DAG out of my M14.

With Federal 168 gold medal match I can get 0.7" 5 groups.

With British Radway Green (nato ball) I can get 2.1"

With DAG I get around 2.2"

DAG actually shoots better than Winchester Nato in my M14. The best is to buy some and see how it shoots in YOUR rifle. It is good for plinking or in a gas gun, but I wouldn't run it through my bolt guns for target shooting.