• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo selection

Horhey232

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2013
California
I just bought a CZ 452 Ultra Lux and looking for a nice solid round to shoot. I have been testing different stuff to see what shoots best and so far so good with surprisingly Remington Golden Bullets. Now I am talking with coworkers and some are saying shoot lead and some are say shoot copper coated stuff. Which is best for my rifle? I also have a Kidd barrel on my 10/22 and want to know the same for that.

I have a CZ452 American. It really likes Wolf target and Match Extra. In that regard it should like most of the other upper end sub-sonic ammo, but some guns prefer one ammo over the others. the key to finding which one it likes is to clean the wax/grease build up from one brand to the other and then "season" the barrel with about 20 rounds of the next brand before testing for accuracy. the barrel has to get accustomed the lube of the new bullet. Mine will put all rounds of wolf in a jagged hole at 50 yds.

Shooting a CZ 455. Haven't been able to get hands on any Wolf target, but agree with 40xs regarding upper end sub-sonic. Eley Target, Club, and Edge have all shot well at 50 (dime size groups) and 100 (quarter sized groups) yards. Eley sub-sonic hollow points (hunting) shot REALLY well (slightly better than the above, and VERY consistent). To my surprise (by labeling not by price), Norma Tac-22 has shot very respectable groups, although it had the occasional flyer. That might be the better option for a multi-purpose role?

Shooting a CZ 455. Haven't been able to get hands on any Wolf target, but agree with 40xs regarding upper end sub-sonic. Eley Target, Club, and Edge have all shot well at 50 (dime size groups) and 100 (quarter sized groups) yards. Eley sub-sonic hollow points (hunting) shot REALLY well (slightly better than the above, and VERY consistent). To my surprise (by labeling not by price), Norma Tac-22 has shot very respectable groups, although it had the occasional flyer. That might be the better option for a multi-purpose role?
Wow, you have a great shooting 455! Will it do it all day long if you do your part?

OP... your barrel is what will tell you what it is that shoots the best. Try any offerings you can get in the Match variety from Wolf, Federal, Eley, RWS, Lapua, etc... if you are lucky, your rifle will like something from these offerings that are less expensive. The KIDD barrel should be chambered for Eley. Mine loved the Eley black box - BUT I was able to get similar results from using the orange box and sorting by rim thickness. This took a little time, but saved a bunch of cash.

Last edited:
RicosRevenge, I'm pretty certain I won the lottery with that 455, it shoots really well. I only wish I could do it (and had the time to do it) all day long...absolutely nothing wrong with the rifle at all....I have my days...ha ha ha. I will say it did not like anything from Aguila (except at 200 yards...that's another story), Winchester Super X and M22 as well as CCI mini mag shot garbage, CCI Blazer was pretty nifty considering the cost, Federal Champion was unremarkable. Again, the Eley Sub-Sonic Hunting rounds have been most impressive, and so far the Eley Edge (only 100 rounds through it) has been promising. Call me stingy, but I can't bring myself to pay $20 a box for .22 ammo to see what it can do with Eley Match, Tenex, and Lapua ammo.

My KIDD barreled 10/22 loves CCI MiniMags, and CZ452 Varmint Eley Match black box @1052 fps.

Last edited:
My 452 has given me its best 100 yard groups with some old Federal 711b. I've read mixed reviews on this ammo, but the stuff I have consistently shoots well under an inch at 100.

So what I am gathering is every rifle is almost different. Now its time to find out what works.

Yes, they are exactly like women in that respect. Even within a specific brand of ammo, lot to lot variability can play a HUGE roll. Back in 2012 when you could actually get target 22LR it was common practice to call up and order a sample pack of lot #'s the shoppe had on hand, test to see which lot(s) your rifle liked, then buy as much of that lot as you could afford and they had in stock (5k, 10k, 15k, or 20k). Now, most shops don't have any mid grade inventory on hand to test, and what comes in the door goes out again within a week.

So what I am gathering is every rifle is almost different. Now its time to find out what works.

Yes, they are exactly like women in that respect!!

Even within a specific brand of ammo, lot to lot variability can play a HUGE roll. Back in 2012 when you could actually get target 22LR it was common practice to call up and order a sample pack of lot #'s the shoppe had on hand, test to see which lot(s) your rifle liked, then buy as much of that lot as you could afford and they had in stock (5k, 10k, 15k, or 20k). Now, most shops don't have any mid grade inventory on hand to test, and what comes in the door goes out again within a week.

Wolf match shoots the best in my CZ. Good luck finding some decent priced wolf though.

I have some Wolf that I snagged at work a while back and shot it. Shoots nice but I need more practice and don't want to blow through it all practicing and I haven't seen it in almost a year.

Winchester X22LR seems to work the best for right now but I haven't seen it in ages. Need to find something that should perform similar.