• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMP Aztec codes

iceng

Non-Privates
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2017
South Aus
I have an AMP with aztec. I pinged my brass (ADI 243win) a while back, and ive been happy with it. Ive annealed every firing and im over 10 now on the brass, still going great.

I pinged a damaged piece of brass i was going to purge, and my code went from 0172 to 0175, so tried another, identical.

This doesnt bother me at all. Just use new code. No big deal.

My question is: For the people who used aztec mode to get an anneal code, have you retested your brass after multiple firings, and been given another code ?

Also, my understanding is that the code is time, in milisec, so 0172 is 1.72sec burn time.

Anyone know, and answer my question gets a free ... Thumbs up ? Also i promise to not call you a poor for the rest of the week.

Also, my understanding is that the code is time, in milisec, so 0172 is 1.72sec burn time.

Anyone know, and answer my question gets a free ... Thumbs up ? Also i promise to not call you a poor for the rest of the week.
Answer from Alex Findley today.

Hi Pat,
Thanks for your question. Yes, the AZTEC annealing codes are based on time, but they do not relate to the actual number in seconds. They are linear, in that a higher number = more heat. Basically the calculation is “if it takes this long to melt, how long does it take to anneal?” AZTEC captures the microsecond when the sacrificial case fails, and then uses several algorithms to answer that question.
Regards,
Alex Findlay – Director

Thanks !

Anyone else know why my code changed, or experienced this shift ??

How many cases did you sacrifice to get the initial code, and how did you select those cases from among the entire starting batch?

Thanks !

Anyone else know why my code changed, or experienced this shift ??
It was answered before you asked…
Brass flows forward through firing and resizing cycles. Thicker brass from the body gets into areas where thin brass used to be. After 10 reloads your brass is thicker in the neck/shoulder area so the AMP is assigning a longer annealing time.

Sent an email the other day, and really quick response. Also rang up to thank him and had a quick chat.

The brass i pinged has a VERY tiny donut in it. Randomly inspecting a few, i do NOT have donuts in the others. This was the reason the code was different, and the reason i was prepared to sacrifice it.

I also pinged some more, for science. 0172/0173 on 5. All happy here.

Different BATCHES of brass will also yield different results, as will different brands. Really happy with their customer support.

TLDR: was a defective piece of brass, carry on, all is well.

Here are the codes generated for my .308 and .243 brass from different brands...Your results may vary, but it gives you a good indication of the hardness from a rank order perspective. I found it interesting that the Hornady .308 and .243 seem to use the same brass. I will probably retest the Norma, as it seems to be significantly higher than the other brands. Not sure if that is normal or an outlier, but I would not have expected that much of a difference.

.308 Winchester - Pilot 0111B
DateBrandAztec CodeFiredNeck
17-JunFC01551
17-JunSAKO01611
17-JunSierra01521
17-JunWinchester01331
17-JunHornady01511
25-JunLapua01640
.243 Winchester - 011C
DateBrandAztec CodeFiredNeck
17-JunNorma01861
17-JunRP01421
17-JunFC01491
17-JunWinchester01391
25-JunNosler01530
2-JulHornady01511

Reactions: DubfromGA
To get stable numbers you need to sacrifice a sample of multiple cases that are near the average case weight if that batch of brass.

And the difference between 173 and 175 is not enough to matter, since a significant proportion of your cases will deviate from average anyway, all the while you’re using the same code on them

it is the specific heat capacity of the material, shown by this formula:
 Q=mc\Delta T

Heat applied = mass times specific heat capacity times the change in temperature