• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LC 556 brass and AMP Aztec codes

MTRecon

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 10, 2017
    Lewistown, Montana
    Screenshot_20231011_085821_Sheets.jpg

In a non scientific test of LC 556 brass I used the AMP Aztec function to see how the codes across several years compared.

They obviously produce these by the millions but they look to be fairly consistent for the samples I have.

For a total of 54 different headstamps of 223/556 the overall average code is 130.

Is that LC brass with the necks turned or not turned? I know the manual suggest turning prior to annealing. I have seen a slight difference in codes when I tested LC brass both ways.

No neck turning...just gathered as many as I could find to see what would happen. If I had some that I knew were the same lot and turned it would be interesting to see the results.

Reactions: simonp
    If the LC223 is headstamp Rem 223 which I presume it is, I will check my log, I think the number shifted by one when I turned the necks but I will have to check.

It's a non crimped brass with "LC 223" on it and no Nato mark. Don't know where it came from but their all short at 1.740".

I think I posted a question on it on here and someone said it was LC commercial brass produced for someone but it’s been awhile.

I have a few hundred pieces of brass headstamped LC 223 Rem... I got it as range pickup a while back. I did a bit of browsing and near as I can tell it was sold by Target Sports USA.

According to them there was no real difference in the brass except the headstamp and lack of primer crimp.

I don't know if they were the only company offering it or not...

Anyway, it's supposed to be standard LC brass.

Mike

Reactions: msgriff
    Thanks Mike 👍...

It showed up here for a while and haven't seen it since.
    That's going off of my memory so it may or may not be 100% reliable... Don't bet the farm on that info.

Note: Pretty sure this is where I found out the aforementioned info when I looked a while back...

Mike

Today I used 5 once fired LC17 and ran them through the sizing die to uniform the necks for testing. All 5 are code 127.

Found another 10 different years of LC and after including those the LC only average is 126.

The average for all 74 cases dropped to 129. T and Wolf were 142 and 138, respectively and the two highest codes.

Using an average is going to be less effective than using the right code for each headstamp. If one is going to spend the $$ on the Amp I don’t know why one would cut corners on the process. Sorting brass is not my favorite part of the reloading process but not is it my least favorite - just devote some time to sorting and get it done. I sort at the start so i am loading all the same brass at the same time anyways- I wouldn’t want to shoot random LC brass if I’m going for precision and if I am annealing brass then it’s for precision loads.

I have over 20 different years of LC 556 and they test between 125 to 127. For mixed LC 556 I use 126. Works fine.

I also have a very large batch of LC21 and everytime a primer pocket gets loose I analyze it. So far they are consistently testing at 125.

I watched something where Alex said 1 or 2 on the Aztec scale isn't that much.

I appreciate that info. I have a batch of mixed LC, some PPU07, and WinNT. Eventually will all be starline but for now trying to enjoy the mixed for less serious work and 200 yards max for all anyway.

Any thoughts on using 126 on everything, just for more consistent sizing? My 223 trim die is on back order at Dillon, so the plan is for running it all through the new RT1500 and then Lyman M die before loading…