• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMP Press ... on the way (finally)

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    The AMP Press bullet seater from Annealing Made Perfect just came back into stock ... I was #2 in the queue and bought it the second I got the notice from AMP.
    VERY excited to get this new gadget hooked up and producing data to improve my hand loads.

Not cheap, but neither was the AMP Mark 2 ... but that's worth every cent I paid for it. Hoping I feel the same way about the AMP Press once I've got it figured out.

Merry Christmas to "ME".

Reactions: Govt Mule
    Look forward to hearing what it can do for you. I'm upgrading some pieces of equipment in the reloading room over the next year. This is high on my list to see how much it can help me.
    What was your main reason for springing for it?
    Cheers

Look forward to hearing what it can do for you. I'm upgrading some pieces of equipment in the reloading room over the next year. This is high on my list to see how much it can help me.
    What was your main reason for springing for it?
    Cheers
    Good question. I was struggling with "consistent feel" when seating bullets on my regular manual press, and simply had no idea what my neck tension was during bullet seating. Then I got an Arbor Press with the Force Pack, the dial micrometer, and inline LEWilson dies for all of my reloading calibers. Learned a ton at that point about how "feel" on a normal press is a total BS way to estimate seating force. Used this to tune my sizing and mandrel to get a predictable neck tension during seating. Now I want to get more precise, and be able to seat a bunch of bullets, and use that AMP Press precision to "sort and cull" my rounds to eliminate those that are outside the right seating force profile. Basically I'm going from "feel", to "info", to "precise data" in a quest to shrink my groups and lower my standard deviation. Plus ... it's a cool new toy, I'm a total "gadget guy", I have a little spare cash to throw at it ... and I just want one ... so there's that excuse too.

Good question. I was struggling with "consistent feel" when seating bullets on my regular manual press, and simply had no idea what my neck tension was during bullet seating. Then I got an Arbor Press with the Force Pack, the dial micrometer, and inline LEWilson dies for all of my reloading calibers. Learned a ton at that point about how "feel" on a normal press is a total BS way to estimate seating force. Used this to tune my sizing and mandrel to get a predictable neck tension during seating. Now I want to get more precise, and be able to seat a bunch of bullets, and use that AMP Press precision to "sort and cull" my rounds to eliminate those that are outside the right seating force profile. Basically I'm going from "feel", to "info", to "precise data" in a quest to shrink my groups and lower my standard deviation. Plus ... it's a cool new toy, I'm a total "gadget guy", I have a little spare cash to throw at it ... and I just want one ... so there's that excuse too.
    Appreciate the explanation. I'm using a standard arbor press (no strain gauge) with Wilson dies to seat bullets. When loading for competitions, I place the loaded cartridges in order of perceived seating pressure. One of the guys I compete with at most matches bought the AMP press this past spring, and has had phenomenal results on target. Your comment about going from "feel" to "precise data" makes sense. I'm leaving for New Zealand in about a week for the winter. One of my planned stops is the AMP factory.
    Cheers

For precision long range shooter, it is a good investment just like the AMP annealer.

Appreciate the explanation. I'm using a standard arbor press (no strain gauge) with Wilson dies to seat bullets. When loading for competitions, I place the loaded cartridges in order of perceived seating pressure. One of the guys I compete with at most matches bought the AMP press this past spring, and has had phenomenal results on target. Your comment about going from "feel" to "precise data" makes sense. I'm leaving for New Zealand in about a week for the winter. One of my planned stops is the AMP factory.
    Cheers
    I envy you and your New Zealand trip. It's one of my very favorite places in the world. When I was a C130 Navigator in the Marine Corps ... MANY years ago (late 70's) ... I was loaned to VX-6 and spent a few months flying between Christchurch and the ice. Mostly to McMurdo but a few flights to the South Pole science station. I learned two things ... (1) women in New Zealand are stunningly, totally, irrevocably, absolutely gorgeous, and (2) it's really friggin' cold at the South Pole even in the middle of the summer.

Let me know how your AMP visit goes. They seem like great guys. Trying to talk myself into an AMP Mate, but don't really have the volume to justify it.

Reactions: Govt Mule
    I envy you and your New Zealand trip. It's one of my very favorite places in the world. When I was a C130 Navigator in the Marine Corps ... MANY years ago (late 70's) ... I was loaned to VX-6 and spent a few months flying between Christchurch and the ice. Mostly to McMurdo but a few flights to the South Pole science station. I learned two things ... (1) women in New Zealand are stunningly, totally, irrevocably, absolutely gorgeous, and (2) it's really friggin' cold at the South Pole even in the middle of the summer.

Let me know how your AMP visit goes. They seem like great guys. Trying to talk myself into an AMP Mate, but don't really have the volume to justify it.
    I have been spending winters in the Nelson area since I retired. Covid has screwed up my ability to be there since April 1 of 2020. My daughter married a Kiwi (Auckland area), and I have a grand daughter that I will be meeting for the first time in December. :) I'm doing a bunch of f-class matches mostly in the North Island, and will be doing some red deer hunting in the South Island, along with bunny control on a friends farm near Queenstown. Can't wait to walk in a store and buy suppressors for less than $300! :cool:

I was in early to mid 70's, but if I would have known the Corps had duty stations in Christ Church, they could have maybe gotten a couple more years out of me....
    Cheers

I have been spending winters in the Nelson area since I retired. Covid has screwed up my ability to be there since April 1 of 2020. My daughter married a Kiwi (Auckland area), and I have a grand daughter that I will be meeting for the first time in December. :) I'm doing a bunch of f-class matches mostly in the North Island, and will be doing some red deer hunting in the South Island, along with bunny control on a friends farm near Queenstown. Can't wait to walk in a store and buy suppressors for less than $300! :cool:

I was in early to mid 70's, but if I would have known the Corps had duty stations in Christ Church, they could have maybe gotten a couple more years out of me....
    Cheers
    So that suppressor bought in NZ can't be brought back to the states ... right?

So that suppressor bought in NZ can't be brought back to the states ... right?
    The rifles will stay in NZ. I took the courses and had the inspections and interviews from the local PoPo in 2019 (interesting process). I have a "locker" at my friends house in Nelson that they will be stored at. Interview was a 3 hour grilling. They even sent a policeman to daughter's house and interviewed her.

For the most part, I like the people there, but like to get under their skin by bringing up the fact that they have the second best pinot noir wines. Your state produces the best... :ROFLMAO: :cool: