• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Amsec RF6528 gun safe: Added Photos

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm considering buying an Amsec RF6528 gun safe. The safe has a TL-30 rating.

Are there any other safes comprable to any of the Amsec RF series I should consider?

Re: Amsec RF6528 gun safe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EvanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may want to consider Sturdy Safes. </div></div>

Yes I have considered Sturdy, I even spoke with Terry earilier this week. I was considering a similiarly priced safe. The safe I was thinking of having Terry build for me would have twice as much steel as regular model. If I recall correctly the entire body would be 3/8" thick, the door would be a little thicker to.

I think I've reached the conclusion that a safe with concrete, steel and other material in the walls would be more difficult in terms of time and effort to open.

I have a door made by Study Safe...A+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a door made by Study Safe...A+ </div></div>

I know they made a great product. But I'd like to have a safe with a TL 30 rating for the door.

I have a Sturdy safe with fire liner, if burglar comes with crowbar or like tools they aren't getting in, if the come with a plasma cutter they are getting in no mater what safe you have. Wish I would have gotten a larger one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ElCoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Sturdy safe with fire liner, if burglar comes with crowbar or like tools they aren't getting in, if the come with a plasma cutter they are getting in no mater what safe you have. Wish I would have gotten a larger one. </div></div>

You will need one HELL of a plasma to get into a Amsec RF6528. That is the plan for my next one (wish they made a bigger one)

A lot of good safe out there but the Amsec RF6528 is hard to beat.

I decided on the RF6528 and have ordered same. I think it along with other security measures will buy the most time for police to arrive in the event someone who knows what there are doing attempts to open safe.

Ive been in the market for a safe as well. The one conclusion I came to was that if you have a place for one, your probably better off in the long run to look at a local commercial safe company. They tend to have used double door TL30 rated safes from $900 and up. What you end up getting is much more room, safety, and higher fire rating for your money than buying something marketed as a "gun safe"

plasma cutter.......? please

kids that do a smash & grab usually are'nt packing the hi-tech shit YOU see in the movies,

professionals will just wrap a chain or cable and yank it off the foundation....

fire ratings are somewhat mind numbing,,,,,cause once the hot safe gets hit with water.....there is instant surface rust....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
fire ratings are somewhat mind numbing,,,,,cause once the hot safe gets hit with water.....there is instant surface rust....

</div></div>

Im sure you're just like me in the fact that you dont give a flying shit what the outside of the safe looks like after a fire. As long as its contents are protected. Personally, I dont care if it has a rattle can paint job as long as it protects against fire an theft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">professionals will just wrap a chain or cable and yank it off the foundation....</div></div>

The RF6528 is advertised as weighing 3,455 lbs. That's one of the reason I like it. So moving it will require some effort and once it's outside dragging it down a gravel driveway will be somewhat challenging.

Of course there are all kinds of senerios I could think of, but with no forklift kept on premises it will be hard to move.

I finaly got my RF6528 and I must say it is much nicer than I had anticipated. Fit and finish are excellent and the very heavy door is easy to open and close and stays right at the place you leave it.

Below is photo of safe at terminal after we tied it down.

p1010477_copy1.jpg

I knew a locksmith and he always told his customers to use long, large and strong bolts when the safe was put on a concrete foundation. If in a house use the same kind of bolts and a 1/2" plate under the joist and secure it down that way. If it is new construction run a live 220 volt line in the wall behind and or around the corner were the safe sits along with the other advice. Chain saws and 220v do not mix. MM

I've been looking at the very same safe. I got some questions. Did it come with a pallet or the wood setup that you have in the picture? My plan is to put it on my concrete garage floor. Did you place it right on the concrete or did you place it on some sort of moisture shield? Did you get the glossy finish? Did you have to pay extra for it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is new construction run a live 220 volt line in the wall behind and or around the corner were the safe sits along with the other advice. Chain saws and 220v do not mix. MM </div></div>

Hmmm... That's an awesome idea!

220 will not work, you will buck phases. 120 could work if you have it isolated from the ground.

While your at it, install a sheet of copper around the safe on the floor and attach it to the ground. cover with carpet so you can't see it. When the would-be thief walks over to the safe he will enjoy a nice jolt through his whole body when he touches the safe. Don't forget to isolate the safe from the ground/floor!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">220 will not work, you will buck phases. 120 could work if you have it isolated from the ground.

While your at it, install a sheet of copper around the safe on the floor and attach it to the ground. cover with carpet so you can't see it. When the would-be thief walks over to the safe he will enjoy a nice jolt through his whole body when he touches the safe. Don't forget to isolate the safe from the ground/floor! </div></div>

I'm not so sure that the 120 wouldn't just trip the breaker. Any electricians on here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking at the very same safe. I got some questions. Did it come with a pallet or the wood setup that you have in the picture? My plan is to put it on my concrete garage floor. Did you place it right on the concrete or did you place it on some sort of moisture shield? Did you get the glossy finish? Did you have to pay extra for it?</div></div>

It came on the pallet with outriggers. I made outriggers longer by adding another 8' 2x4 on each side.

If I put it directly on the floor I will not need a moisture barrier as I have a commerical epoxy floor consisting of 4 layers of material. Garage is climate contolled, it's really more of a living space than a garage.

It did not come with the wood setup you see in the photo. I built or should I say threw that together at the terminal after we loaded the safe. The purpose was to make the load more stable.

I got the textured finish and I'm quite pleased with it.

I got mechinical combo dial and extra handle for pulling the door open.

That is one hell of a safe!!! I wish I could afford one I'd have one also.,

guys are gettn a little paranoid arent ya? electrified safes? lol

that being said my ultimate goal is to end up with basically a bunker. concrete cube with a hell of a safe door. walk in gun closet basically haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guys are gettn a little paranoid arent ya? electrified safes? lol</div></div>

It would seem that if a innocent party was injured by electrified safe somehow that there might be a substantial amount of liabilty incurred by the safe owner.

Electrifing a safe may void or limit coverage under an insurance policy or an umbrella policy too.

My post was filled with sarcasm. I don't recommend it.
I'm not worried about my guns getting stolen or damaged in a fire/flood. I have insurance for that and they are all covered. I have pics of them with the serial numbers stored elsewhere.

What I don't want is the items getting in the wrong hands and ending up on the street.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guys are gettn a little paranoid arent ya? electrified safes? lol</div></div>

It would seem that if a innocent party was injured by electrified safe somehow that there might be a substantial amount of liabilty incurred by the safe owner.

Electrifing a safe may void or limit coverage under an insurance policy or an umbrella policy too. </div></div>

Keep in mind that the injured party does not have to be innocent to sue and win. Crazier shit has happened.

First photo shows how well safe was packed.

Second photo shows some shelving. There is plenty of shelving to set up safe the way you want it. If you don't want to use part of one side or the other for guns it has these carpeted pieces with metal backing that just fit over the part used for guns.

p1010481.jpg

p1010495.jpg

My one regret to my safe purchase was that I did not get a larger one.

In hindsight, I would have upped the size of my safe a bit - to what the stairs could hold without breaking. The one I have appears similar in size to yours and weighs about 900 pounds empty. I purchased it many years ago and I don't recall the manufacturer (despite opening and closing it regularly!).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have upped the size of my safe a bit - to what the stairs could hold without breaking. The one I have appears similar in size to yours and weighs about 900 pounds empty</div></div>

The RF6825 is rated at 21 cubic feet. It is the largest and I think the only size this model is made. Not positive but I thnk it's the only non custom made gun safe with a TL-30 rating. I would have gone a little bigger but did not want to exceed 4500 lbs. since most of the equipment I have access to should not be used to move anything heavier than 5000 lbs.

I can tell you handling something top heavy that weighs 3500 lbs. requires great care. I tell the guys working with me two things: 1-Look around you and make sure you have a clear path to get out of the way should the safe start to tip over, 2-if for any reason the safe starts to tip over don't even think about trying to stop it as you will probably be killed.