• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision AN/PVS-4 Gen 2 and Gen 3

compasscall

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2011
RIMPAC
Had some fun under the stars with a PVS-4, TVS-5 and a whole lot of tubes. Did not have time to finish the TVS-5 segments, unfortunate as that was my favorite due to the MK-880 being mounted to the TVS-5 objective. I'll revisit it at some point though.

AN/PVS-4 with Gen 2 and Gen 3 25mm image intensifiers - YouTube

Equipment used for the PVS-4 segments:

Equipment used for the TVS-5 segments:

Informative post, thanks for sharing. It would be quite interesting to see how a zeiss z51 compares to the different generations of the pvs-4. Obviously the high light handling ability would be MUCH better on the pvs-4. Any thoughts? Do you have a zeiss?

This receives my vote for the most useful Night Vision post on any forum.

Now I want a Mk880 focus assembly.

Man that's something I should look into.. I have an older pvs4, pretty sure it's a gen 2. Given to me by a buddy of mine. The image is really grainy, and it has a goofy looking reticle, I think it's Israeli? I had no idea changing the tube was that simple. Wonder how hard the switch that reticle too...

Man that's something I should look into.. I have an older pvs4, pretty sure it's a gen 2. Given to me by a buddy of mine. The image is really grainy, and it has a goofy looking reticle, I think it's Israeli? I had no idea changing the tube was that simple. Wonder how hard the switch that reticle too...

Reticle is even easier to change! Pull the cover off the front of the objective and you will see a cap. Remove the cap by twisting it off. Then there is a second cap that contains the light source that lights up the reticle. Remove that, then the reticle assembly will slide right out. Pop and swap easy. Put the light source cap back on then the outer protective cap and your done.

Had some fun under the stars with a PVS-4, TVS-5 and a whole lot of tubes. Did not have time to finish the TVS-5 segments, unfortunate as that was my favorite due to the MK-880 being mounted to the TVS-5 objective. I'll revisit it at some point though.

AN/PVS-4 with Gen 2 and Gen 3 25mm image intensifiers - YouTube

Equipment used for the PVS-4 segments:

Equipment used for the TVS-5 segments:

Great post. I've had a few customers mention this video over the phone when they were asking about the PVS-4. You're pretty famous now, I guess.

Great post. I've had a few customers mention this video over the phone when they were asking about the PVS-4. You're pretty famous now, I guess.

I'll echo that and will always give credit where credit is due no matter.... Great post and depictions.

Vic