• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

...And now, from completely out of F'n Nowhere...

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Our home back in NY finally sold. Made some money, but not anything worth braggin' about. The real boon is getting out from under that other monthly mortgage payment. It was pretty steep after the re-fi to pay off those medicals from Celia and I back in the 20-zeros. But it's done and we're finally out from under.

Our Granddaughter (now lives with us) Elena turns 21 on October, and we're taking her to Waikiki for the event. Besides all the Pearl Harbor gotta-do's (already booked, along with the cage dive for Elena...That girl's already on her second bucket list...), etc., what's a few good things to be doing in the Waikiki area during mid-late October? This year, I mean.

Greg

Last edited:
Oh, and yes, I'll be watching over my shoulder out to the Southeast (...er -West...) for Kim's ICBM's coming in low over the horizon...

Oh, and yes, the dogs will be boarded and the cats will be visited... I'll be missin' them cats..., some...

i am told hawaii is just the best...
we live here on the gulf coast of florida with some of the best beaches, and still they said it was nuts great...
you have volcanos, tidal pools, beaches
make sure you spend a tad more to stay longer, stay as long as you can

Never been but Im betting theres lots of great seafood...

Oh, and yes, I'll be watching over my shoulder out to the Southeast (...er -West...) for Kim's ICBM's coming in low over the horizon...

Oh, and yes, the dogs will be boarded and the cats will be visited... I'll be missin' them cats..., some...

If you have a rental car, make sure you drive over the "Pali", over to the North shore. Laniakea, Waimea beaches and Banzai Pipeline all are very nice, but the (bumper to bumper) traffic is the shits...

Have fun!

I think that this time we'll probably stay closer to Waikiki/Hilton. We're booked at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. So far, no car, have a lot or things already set up with the concierge. At age 71, crush hour traffic does not appeal. I also understand they're mind numb about guns, so none of that, either. I'd like to stretch this one out some, but SWMBO has spoken.

Elena surfs, a bit, and we're already thinking about a return trip in a year or so. This trip is more a sorta recon. I think we'll be thinking in terms of spreading out further next trip. This time, probably not the Banzai Pipeline, but getting her back up to speed at the Hilton's beach in Waikiki makes sense for this year.

I mean, heck, I know they say that once you go there, you'll go back; so that's already the plan. We don't do much, and travel has always been in our blood, so why not Hawaii?

Great ideas so far, keep 'em comin'...

Greg

Last edited:
I think that this time we'll probably stay closer to Waikiki/Hilton. We're booked at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. So far, no car, have a lot or things already set up with the concierge. At age 71, crush hour traffic does not appeal.

Elena surfs, a bit, and we're already thinking about a return trip in a year or so. This trip is more a sorta recon. I think we'll be thinking in terms of spreading out further next trip. This time, probably not the Banzai Pipeline, but getting her back up to speed at the Hilton's beach in Waikiki makes sense for this year.

I mean, heck, I know they say that once you go there, you'll go back; so that's already the plan. We don't do much, and travel has always been in our blood, so why not Hawaii?

Great ideas so far, keep 'em comin'...

Greg

Suggestions?If youre not already, join the Hilton Honors program. I got a Amex Surpass Hilton Honors card and have piled up over 600,000 points. My current trip to Vermont and Boston is costing me for gas and meals. Easy to join and it has great perks like free breakfast and upgrades as you gain status.

Maggot's $00.02.

+1 on the "Honors" points program. I'm on the Marriott program and have cleaned up on free hotel stays in Paris, Frankfurt, Zurich, Luzern, Vienna, Budapest, etc. You should do the same for your air miles. The wife and I fly roundtrip to Europe twice a year for free.

If you like Korean BBQ;

Me Bar-B-Que

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Me...4d-157.8235602

Hanauma Bay, Blowhole, Sandy Beach, Makapu'u Beach.....but all involve a car ride. They are all in a sequential line and do-able in an afternoon.

Last edited:
+1 on the "Honors" points program. I'm on the Marriott program and have cleaned up on free hotel stays in Paris, Frankfurt, Zurich, Luzern, Vienna, Budapest, etc. You should do the same for your air miles. The wife and I fly roundtrip to Europe twice a year for free.

If you like Korean BBQ;

Me Bar-B-Que

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Me...4d-157.8235602

Hanauma Bay, Blowhole, Sandy Beach, Makapu'u Beach.....but all involve a car ride. They are all in a sequential line and do-able in an afternoon.

Yep. I went out to LA several years back for the UVA/USC game and stayed 5 days at the Beverly Hilton in a pool level suite for free. The more nights you stay the less per night. What a blast.

For those closer to being able to answer my question...concerning military drones.....Are we capable of keeping eyes on the Dear Leader in NOKO full time the way we tracked Eastern Terrorists or can he take them out. I strongly suggest Drone Warrior (the book) for those interested in our capability to find and track bad guys.

I'm only on the Marriott program. It's important to settle on one hotel brand and only stay at that brand. Marriott has Concierge lounges at most full service Marriott branded hotels, which means free breakfast and dinner. Some are better than others, but I/we spend a lot of time in the Concierge lounges and save up the big bucks to go to a really nice restaurant offsite. Marriott LAX just upgraded their lounge. I was there last night and the food was decent.

If you are going to use F'n in the title of one of your posts then I'm going to say "just rock out with your cock out!"

Let's get back to the subject of that 21 YO Granddaughter, Greg?

Just kidding....

Congrats on selling the house! And have an awesome trip!

Keep that ticker running smoothly... saw your note in another thread and hope things settle down health-wise.

Cheers,

Sirhr

OK, back from the neighbors across the street.

Dear friends and the most Liberal people I could possibly imagine. Maggot, you would probably either envy them, or draw a complete blank. Thursday night is dinner and wine followed by cards. They provide the dinner and we provide the wine.

I can't stand the sight of blood, so I leave when the cards come out. The ladies stay, and Celia is jealous of her last place (always) standing.... Elena kicks butt for me...

Carlson hotels are our more regular route. They allow our pets and they always make us feel at home. But SWMBO has her heart set on the Waikiki Hilton Hawaiian Village, so...

And while I like Korean barbecue, I actually prefer Mongolian barbecue. Less garlic... But no matter...

Sirh; the trip is intended as the first of at least two. Keepin' the ticker tickin, keepin the VA Total and Permanent rollin' in each month; that's my current profession... Here's hoping I just get better and better at it... Life is good, life is gettin' better, especially here in the Arizona High Desert. Looking out for 70 miles here is like looking out for 20 back in Upstate NY.

Our past decade has been about travel. Both school bra=eaks, and Christmas, we're somewhere special, That has include Ogunquit Maine, several, Tybee Island, several, Disney World every year for the past 46 (our Daugher Jen and Disney World share the same birth year...),

That 20Y/O Granddaughter is the best of us. My (um, her...) Stag Model 6 Super Varminter gets its exercise often. Best thing that could have ever happened to it. Now I have you build its clone. Heck, the real deal is probably cheap enough at the moment... I just haven't gotten used to the idea of the new income.

She reminds me of Gretel in the recent movie. Her franchise is Dark Knight and her mantra features Joker. She has a few visible tats to prove it. She allows me my Beatles.... Keep in mind that this is a college trained Audio Engineer that we're talking about... She is here own person, heaven help anyone who gets that confused...

After she's 21, I'll ask her if she'd actually like her picture on The 'Hide. Don't hold your breaths....

Moving on...

Greg

Last edited:
my mom's boss goes every year to the cattle convention on one of the island
I know one year they set him up on a hunting trip.
Had some amazing pictures I'm drawing a blank on what they took him hunting for. Mite want to look into that for next trip.

Greg, i was just there 2 months ago. Also 3 years ago (long story as to why). I will get some info and send it to you. You have said you have some health issues. Are you up for a hike in the rain forest?

No, I can't handle much vertical at all.

But I can still appreciate it all from a distance, and get a boot out of the pictures the rest of the family takes. But there's still a bunch of hope. I'm about 7 visits of the way through Cardiopulmonary Rehab, under Veterans' Choice program, at U of A Banner UMC (in Tucson. 36 visits translates to 5000 miles of driving. We'll do whatever it takes.). They are betting the farm on me, so the least I can do is my best.

They whip my butt flat out twice a week. I am already WAAY healthier than I was when I went horizontal back in April. I keep pushing them to push me. I am planning to come out of this ten years younger, cardio-wise. It CAN happen. I also walk around the black each day, wearing ankle weights. Before it gets above 85...

My only real issue is appetite. Even with 2 Ensures a day, I still can't seem to bust out above 172lb. Oh, well, it will happen....

I'm three week in, and already up from 10 pushups to 15, two sets, plus two sets each of four other exercises, and doing 25 minutes on the treadmill.

Workin' on it...

Greg

email: [email protected] EMAIL CORRECTED,. silly me. However, I am more comfortable with PM's here at The 'Hide.

I don't do a lot of email, but I do have a current address...

Last edited:
No, I can't handle much vertical at all.

But I can still appreciate it all from a distance, and get a boot out of the pictures the rest of the family takes. But there's still a bunch of hope. I'm about 7 visits of the way through Cardiopulmonary Rehab, under Veterans' Choice program, at U of A Banner UMC (in Tucson. 36 visits translates to 5000 miles of driving. We'll do whatever it takes.). They are betting the farm on me, so the least I can do is my best.

They whip my butt flat out twice a week. I am already WAAY healthier than I was when I went horizontal back in April. I keep pushing them to push me. I am planning to come out of this ten years younger, cardio-wise. It CAN happen. I also walk around the black each day, wearing ankle weights. Before it gets above 85...

My only real issue is appetite. Even with 2 Ensures a day, I still can't seem to bust out above 172lb. Oh, well, it will happen....

I'm three week in, and already up from 10 pushups to 15, two sets, plus two sets each of four other exercises, and doing 25 minutes on the treadmill.

Workin' on it...

Greg

email: [email protected]

I don't do a lot of email, but I do have a current address...

I will send a PM, we can do email if needed. Email might be slightly faster, because I get email notification on my phone. Will work on PM now.

OK, back from the neighbors across the street.

Dear friends and the most Liberal people I could possibly imagine. Maggot, you would probably either envy them, or draw a complete blank.
Moving on...

Greg

Greg, I dont now about that statement. Im FAR from what you assume me to be a 'liberal'. You know what they say about assumptions.

I am a Realist, neither to the right nor to the left. I understand that for those who are out of balance, either to the right or left, that position is not understandable, but thats your problem, not mine. Consider this. When you go to the range to shoot, to you aim to the left, to the right, or to dead center. I go for the center where the win is, neither to the right nor the left.

Ive got my popcorn ready, and laughing.

Greg, I've been away a few days, and this is the first thread that I've come back to. First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I know the feeling of the mortgage/anchor, let alone the debt issue of other "inevitables" let alone the annoyance of health issues. To hear that you've SO MANY achievements and improvements is truly fantastic and a Blessing(s) in so many ways.

Kudo's on ya', for that. Enjoy your vacation/recon, and I truly pray that you and your family continue to advance and achieve. I am aware of the depth of your "opposite" times, and know how far you've come. So great to hear all this.

As for the Hawaii events, or even the hotel issues, I can't say a word. I've never had the opportunity to even think about such a venture. It'll happen one day though, with My Lady being as fantastic as she is. You wouldn't believe how much further I've been able to achieve, with her support.

A great thing, that.

Congrats on selling the house brother..The Market is as strong as ever. But if this country doesn't get it shit together soon I'm going to take my equity and just move to my Australian house permanently.

Greg, I dont now about that statement. Im FAR from what you assume me to be a 'liberal'. You know what they say about assumptions.

I am a Realist, neither to the right nor to the left. I understand that for those who are out of balance, either to the right or left, that position is not understandable, but thats your problem, not mine. Consider this. When you go to the range to shoot, to you aim to the left, to the right, or to dead center. I go for the center where the win is, neither to the right nor the left.

Ive got my popcorn ready, and laughing.

It's hard to compare the two. Without a clear and absolute target known and understood by all, the "center" is subjective. I know plenty of people who say they represent the "center" or are "independent" however, their Facebook post represent left, or far left leaning.

It's hard to compare the two. Without a clear and absolute target known and understood by all, the "center" is subjective. I know plenty of people who say they represent the "center" or are "independent" however, their Facebook post represent left, or far left leaning.

You are very correct in one sense. The 'center' can be very subjective. One could equate the center, to the core issue of any given situation. For that reason Ive chosen an arbitrary one for my self and it generally works well. It goes like this.

-'Every action has an equal opposite reaction"
-"You reap what you sow."
-"Treat others the way you wish to be treated."

Ive found when I approach a situation from that perspective, it generally brings the best result.

The failure, if there be one, is generally in my lack of ability, rather than the principle.

If it is to be worth a shit must be applied by the self, to the self, and regardless of what others do, or say. Its kind of like "Always Faithful" to the principle.

Last edited:
Well, I'm me and "me" is fairly elder fart conservative, small "c". Kinda past the point of being able to help myself on that score. So whoever "me' is, I kinda like the guy...

Less to follow.

Greg

I've lived on Oahu for a little while now (and for what it's worth, I hate it, even as a single 28yo), so feel free to reach out if you have any questions or are looking for recommendations. I'd offer to show you around, but I may well be traveling.

Some hikes you might be able to do are Manoa Falls and Waimea Falls. Both are relatively short. Waimea Falls is fully paved all the way back, but it's all the way up at the North Shore. Manoa Falls is pretty straightforward and well-traveled, and a quick cab ride from Waikiki. You can check YouTube for videos of the entire hikes. If you're wife or granddaughter are looking for a workout with a view, tell them to check out Koko Crater trail across the street from Hanauma bay. There's actually a public shooting range that uses Kokohead as it's backstop, but you really don't want to waste your time there. Diamond Head is another hike that offers a good view and is relatively close to Waikiki, but there's quite a bit of elevation to it.

If your granddaughter's looking to surf, you can check out White Plains Beach over in Ewa Beach too. It's a drive, but it never rains in Ewa, so you can go there even if the weather is bad in Waikiki. The big waves start rolling into the North Shore starting in October, so you may not even be able (or want) to swim up there.

In my opinion, the best public beaches for swimming are on the East side of the island - Waimanalu, Lanikai, and Kailua. Depending on when you go, parking can be tough for the latter two. It's a pretty drive that way too with a lot of lookouts to pull off on. If you're so inclined, you can also find kayaking tours that launch off Kailua and Lanikai beaches. There's some beaches on the West side too, but they're quite a ways from Waikiki.

If anyone in your party is feeling adventurous, you can go cliff jumping in Laie, which you may remember from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. There's also the jumping rock at Waimea Bay, but again, if the North Shore is firing, they're not going to let you go up.

As for food, if you're looking for Korean barbeque, Sura isn't too far from the Hilton. Gyu Kaku is a Japanese barbeque place not too far from you either. There is no good American barbeque on the island, period. If you're feeling a little rich, Hy's Steakhouse is pretty good (better than Wolfgang's) and right there in Waikiki. I also highly recommend Duke's, which is right there on the beach - they have good prime rib, but they run out if you go too late into the evening. Orchids is another cool little restaurant on the beach, though I've only ever been there for breakfast. Nico's is a casual place for seafood that's very popular; just upstairs from that is Harbor Court, which is a nice restaurant that has the best french dip I've had anywhere...short cab or uber ride from Waikiki. There's a lot of your usual chain stuff too. Yardhouse is a good place to take your granddaughter for her first (legal) drink. I recommend that you avoid eating anywhere at the Hilton proper; everywhere in Hawaii is going to be expensive, but the Hilton Hawaiian Village has ridiculous markups on food. Take an extra two minutes to walk to anywhere off the property and you'll probably cut your bill in half.

Definitely sign up for HHonors because you'll earn a ton of points (free rooms!), just don't expect any special treatment beyond those points that you accrue. I'm Diamond with Hilton right now, and I don't get treated any different than when I was at the bottom level. I'll probably be a few days shy of Diamond again this year and I'm not going to go out of my way to keep it.

I've lived on Oahu for a little while now (and for what it's worth, I hate it, even as a single 28yo), so feel free to reach out if you have any questions or are looking for recommendations. I'd offer to show you around, but I may well be traveling.

Some hikes you might be able to do are Manoa Falls and Waimea Falls. Both are relatively short. Waimea Falls is fully paved all the way back, but it's all the way up at the North Shore. Manoa Falls is pretty straightforward and well-traveled, and a quick cab ride from Waikiki. You can check YouTube for videos of the entire hikes. If you're wife or granddaughter are looking for a workout with a view, tell them to check out Koko Crater trail across the street from Hanauma bay. There's actually a public shooting range that uses Kokohead as it's backstop, but you really don't want to waste your time there. Diamond Head is another hike that offers a good view and is relatively close to Waikiki, but there's quite a bit of elevation to it.

If your granddaughter's looking to surf, you can check out White Plains Beach over in Ewa Beach too. It's a drive, but it never rains in Ewa, so you can go there even if the weather is bad in Waikiki. The big waves start rolling into the North Shore starting in October, so you may not even be able (or want) to swim up there.

In my opinion, the best public beaches for swimming are on the East side of the island - Waimanalu, Lanikai, and Kailua. Depending on when you go, parking can be tough for the latter two. It's a pretty drive that way too with a lot of lookouts to pull off on. If you're so inclined, you can also find kayaking tours that launch off Kailua and Lanikai beaches. There's some beaches on the West side too, but they're quite a ways from Waikiki.

If anyone in your party is feeling adventurous, you can go cliff jumping in Laie, which you may remember from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. There's also the jumping rock at Waimea Bay, but again, if the North Shore is firing, they're not going to let you go up.

As for food, if you're looking for Korean barbeque, Sura isn't too far from the Hilton. Gyu Kaku is a Japanese barbeque place not too far from you either. There is no good American barbeque on the island, period. If you're feeling a little rich, Hy's Steakhouse is pretty good (better than Wolfgang's) and right there in Waikiki. I also highly recommend Duke's, which is right there on the beach - they have good prime rib, but they run out if you go too late into the evening. Orchids is another cool little restaurant on the beach, though I've only ever been there for breakfast. Nico's is a casual place for seafood that's very popular; just upstairs from that is Harbor Court, which is a nice restaurant that has the best french dip I've had anywhere...short cab or uber ride from Waikiki. There's a lot of your usual chain stuff too. Yardhouse is a good place to take your granddaughter for her first (legal) drink. I recommend that you avoid eating anywhere at the Hilton proper; everywhere in Hawaii is going to be expensive, but the Hilton Hawaiian Village has ridiculous markups on food. Take an extra two minutes to walk to anywhere off the property and you'll probably cut your bill in half.

Definitely sign up for HHonors because you'll earn a ton of points (free rooms!), just don't expect any special treatment beyond those points that you accrue. I'm Diamond with Hilton right now, and I don't get treated any different than when I was at the bottom level. I'll probably be a few days shy of Diamond again this year and I'm not going to go out of my way to keep it.

Nice review.

Ive been Diamond, should make it again this year. I wouldnt say I get 'treated differently', but things like Honors check in, concierge floor (evening reception that can let you skip supper), room upgrades, free breakfast, and free parking are nice benefits. Also if you have a problem they tend to get to it quickly.

Id pay big to see Greg going off a cliff:rolleyes::cool:

Ive been Diamond, should make it again this year. I wouldnt say I get 'treated differently', but things like Honors check in, concierge floor (evening reception that can let you skip supper), room upgrades, free breakfast, and free parking are nice benefits. Also if you have a problem they tend to get to it quickly

I haven't gotten any room upgrades or anything so far, but I'm typically hitting big/popular cities. I guess I was expecting a more tangible benefit like you see with airlines or rental cars. Admittedly, other than upgrades, I don't really pay attention to "free X" because I'm usually traveling on the company's dime anyway. I'm also probably a little bit bitter still because I'm in Germany right now and had to change hotels when my trip got extended at the last minute; the Hiltons in Mainz are jacking their rates way up for the auto show next week, so now I'm stuck commuting from the airport (and I won't even get to go to the show before I fly out!). The 50% bonus points are pretty nice though.

I love the help you guys are providing; I print them out for Celia to set aside. Matt, I got your EMail, printed same.

This exactly the stuff I'm wanting.

Many thanks,

Greg

We are trying to get all the details nailed in advance, so we have the minimum distractions when trip time arrives. Thanking you for the kind wishes.

Greg

you could take a chopper over Diamond Head.................
or go visit the leper colony.........scratch that.
catch a surfing competition.......

I would want to go snorkeling, deep sea fishing, pay respects at the Arizona monument, and eat, eat, EAT! The sunburn would just be an unintended consequence.

Actually, I wasn't really planning on shooting at him. Live targets aren't my thing nowadays.

Yesterday was my VA Cardio appointment. Whoopee, I now have Afib on top of everything else...One more med to take, twice daily, Eliquis. That brings me up to 26 pills a day, plus two inhalers.

I am well and truly blessed.

We also took in a meal at Red Lobster in Tucson. My crystal ball seems to say we'll be eating a bunch of seafood in Waikiki. We also discussed the food trucks reportedly located along the beach, concluding that they would likely be a subject for deeper research. PooarisBreach, Celia is rereading your post (I printed it out for her) regarding local eateries.

Elena is booked for Surfing lessons from the folks at the EMT station a coupe of blocks down the beach from Hilton. Following that she intends doing her thing utilizing what smaller waves are available at the hotel beach.

Greg