• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing HELP!!

Rutter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2018
I just bought an AMP annealer it is a gen 1. I bought the Valkyrie pilot and a 6GT pilot. Started annealing the GT brass and I was using the code they gave me. When pulling out the brass I was noticing some spots on it that looked like burn spots. Decided to change brass and calibers. Used the Valkyrie pilot and the code for it. That stuff come out looking perfect. No spots all even heat.
so my question is do I start using a lower code number or are the weird hot spots nothing to worry about. Sure hate to ruin good alpha brass on my miss happenings.
thoughts would be great.

A3E9AD82-8389-44DB-87B2-31CA55BCF39E.jpeg

Attachments

• 7EF8B43A-FFFD-460B-AC92-F65F1882FF1A.jpeg
    7EF8B43A-FFFD-460B-AC92-F65F1882FF1A.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 31
That's interesting never seen that. Measure the neck thickness and try a lower setting. Who makes the brass?

Oil or burnt powder residue maybe?

I check mine with tempilaq every time I anneal

Reactions: RRG
This is all alpha 6GT brass. They gave me a code of 93. That was way to much. I turned it down to 90 and I’m still getting this. Not sure what to do. What’s right or what’s wrong. I can keep going down I guess, but when is to far down to little? Like I said first amp annealer so here I’m new at this. Do these AMP annealers go bad? Is that even an option?

Oil or burnt powder residue maybe?

I check mine with tempilaq every time I anneal
I tumbled these for two hours in wet stains steal media. Rinsed them as well till it was clear water then dried them in the dehydrator for about another two hours.

Are you using tempilaq or anything else to tell you what temp your achieving?

I just bought an AMP annealer it is a gen 1. I bought the Valkyrie pilot and a 6GT pilot. Started annealing the GT brass and I was using the code they gave me. When pulling out the brass I was noticing some spots on it that looked like burn spots. Decided to change brass and calibers. Used the Valkyrie pilot and the code for it. That stuff come out looking perfect. No spots all even heat.
so my question is do I start using a lower code number or are the weird hot spots nothing to worry about. Sure hate to ruin good alpha brass on my miss happenings.
thoughts would be great.

The Standard 93 code is for Lapua 6GT brass. There is no way to know exactly what code Alpha 6GT brass should be. 93 is a place to start though. Best options are to get AZTEC and use to determine code or send in your brass to the AMP guys.

Send some pieces to AMP or call Alpha, the codes for Aztec are NOT the same as Gen 1 codes.
Maybe Alpha gave you an Aztec code?

Reactions: Rutter
What number pilot are you using I need to get one myself I'm using the GT brass right from Gap I believe it might be Hornady because I don't see the alpha mark on it
I also have the Gen 1

Spots like that are usually either from imperfections in the brass (less likely) or from some form of residue on the brass (most likely). I get those when I don't rinse cleaner off all that well and don't dry tumble after. It's not a length of heating thing - if it was, you wouldn't see the hard lines.