• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing Question

brshooter60

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2018
I'm new to annealing. I have access to an Annealeez machine. Read lots of different theories on annealing and how long to anneal. Glow method, 750* Tempilaq on the inside of the neck. 450* tempilaq down below the shoulder. Buddy had some 750* tempilaq so went with that method. Ran just beyond tempilaq in neck turning color. Did some in the dark and there was no glow on the necks. Tip of blue flame set at junction of the neck/shoulder. Here are the results on some 308 brass.
Just want to make sure I am on the right path before I run all my brass. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
20210725_153105.jpg

I can’t say for sure, but it looks similar to what I’ve seen. Tempilaq sounds like the safest way of staying between the safety margins. I don’t have any yet, & and have been running my Annealeez where my 6.5CM cases dump out right at the first signs of the slightest glow of orange in the neck (with lights out). No issues yet, but YMMV. Will be monitoring this post to learn more myself.

My biggest question is regarding how frequently to anneal? I’ve heard every time, & also heard annealing too frequently can compromise the case properties making it too soft, putting it more at risk of shoulder collapse or case splits. My Grandpaw used to always say, “Believe half of what you see, & none of what you hear”, but I am willing to listen to other folks opinions.

Reactions: brshooter60
Looks good, keep in mind each manufacturer is going to be different.
Keep a log and test a few pieces EACH time.
Thanks. I have a sheet all set up to log my settings as I know that my LC brass and my FC brass will be different.

I have an Annealez and you are good to go. The new version of the annealeez has a digital speed control, so just keep that setting and go with it every time. May need to change it slightly based on the brass manufacturer.

I have an annealez. In my experience getting that glow in a dark room has worked the best. I started getting split necks in some many many times fired lapua brass. I was annealing everytime. To make a long story short what I determined is I was under annealing. Once I got that brief red glow on my brass necks stopped splitting on the same batch of brass. The brass sized better ,trimmed easier.