• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle *

Re: *Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle *

A little late to the party ... but glad you came.
smile.gif

Brad has taken the lead on this project on this business side, and said they are working hard to get all of these SHRs completed as the priority in the shop. Mine shipped yesterday, and UPS tracking indicates Monday delivery. Hope to provide you with pictures and impressions after I pick it up next week!

I wasn't sure this day would ever come - it sure is a relief.

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad has taken the lead on this project on this business side, and said they are working hard to get all of these SHRs completed as the priority in the shop. Mine shipped yesterday, and UPS tracking indicates Monday delivery. Hope to provide you with pictures and impressions after I pick it up next week!

I wasn't sure this day would ever come - it sure is a relief.

Bill </div></div>

Haven't we heard of this before?

I wonder why they are making it a priority now? Versus last week, last month, last YEAR or the year before that...

I wouldn't trust that shit bird as far as I could throw him. His word means jack shit to me.... should mean the same to you.

I still have had no contact with George for 6+ months, but as soon as I stumbled into contact with Brad, things started happening immediately. I don't know this for a fact, but it seemed almost like Brad did not know about this deal. Now that he does, he's taking care of things. Brad's the reason that I now have a tracking number and a rifle on the way, and for that, I do thank him.

Bill

I havent shot mine, Im having some ammo made up, and buying an optic. Its been a long time..

Ch

New to this thread. Not totally changing the subject, but as a side discussion: What would you guys think the IDEAL scenario for a build would be? Prebuilt before the announcement? Guananteed deivery time? Satisfaction guarantee? What should a builder offer to instill confidence that this kind of thing will not happen?

Reputation is probably the most important issue now. LL said this would be the last SH build.. Hopefully that will change when this is all over and done with.

Ch

I believe Brad is his new business manager and partner/invester. He is also probably George's father-in-law. If he did not know about the deal, this all makes sense. Hopefully Brad can turn things around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chansen49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Cough.. GAP.... Cough..

Ch</div></div>

That was the problem,

Everyone bitched I only used GAP despite the fact all the previous builds went off without at hitch.

I got hounded about using someone else, spreading the builds out to others. They complained I was " married " to GAP that this site was tied to GAP they even called SH, GAP and Badger the axis of evil. All this and the builds were flawless.

The door for this abortion was opened because people didn't like I went to the same builder over and over. They wanted something different.

Be a long time before the stench of this fades.

I think once everyone gets their rifles they will just be happy this is over. They can decide to keep or sale the rifles off if it has left too sour of a taste in their mouths.

I would bet my paycheck people would not mind using GAP again as the builder. I have followed this thread for about 1 1/2-2 years and even though it's quite overwhelming at times I would not hesitate to jump in a SH build if you decided to do another, as long as it was with GAP or someone who has multiple smiths like GAP does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chansen49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Cough.. GAP.... Cough..

Ch</div></div>

That was the problem,

Everyone bitched I only used GAP despite the fact all the previous builds went off without at hitch.

I got hounded about using someone else, spreading the builds out to others. They complained I was " married " to GAP that this site was tied to GAP they even called SH, GAP and Badger the axis of evil. All this and the builds were flawless.

The door for this abortion was opened because people didn't like I went to the same builder over and over. They wanted something different.

Be a long time before the stench of this fades. </div></div>

Let's see someone complain again....

I have had no contact in a year , its time for legal action as far as I am concerned , I have been more than patient with this abortion .

I just want my money back , now .

What amazes me , is this crap is allowed to continue , given the crack down , on weapons etc , due to the WOT etc , its amzing that BAFT , think he's legit , in his firearms dealing , when he is bacically stealing thru fraud from people .

I did not expect this too happen in the USA .

Later Chris

Have you called and left a message? Every time I called and left a message asking for a callback regarding SH rifle #xxx I have got one..

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Empty Pockets</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to this thread. Not totally changing the subject, but as a side discussion: What would you guys think the IDEAL scenario for a build would be? Prebuilt before the announcement? Guananteed deivery time? Satisfaction guarantee? What should a builder offer to instill confidence that this kind of thing will not happen? </div></div>

actually use the deposits put down to secure parts, like barrels, stocks, actions etc. instead of spending the deposits and depending on completed rifles at full sold price to secure parts for future builds. the guys who put half down, that should have at least bought most of the parts. when the order was placed all the stocks, barrels, triggers should have been ordered right then. the action they made. it was just a very poorly, ummm lets just call it theft.

add to that most of the guns needed to be fixed after the fact.

If not GAP, what would be a top 10 list of reputable builders that could pull off a build and not create such a mess?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZeroDown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If not GAP, what would be a top 10 list of reputable builders that could pull off a build and not create such a mess?</div></div>

That list does not exist...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZeroDown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If not GAP, what would be a top 10 list of reputable builders that could pull off a build and not create such a mess?</div></div>

That list does not exist... </div></div>

You could make a list of Top Builders but most of the Top shops around are 1 and 2 men shows. The problem with that is building 25+ rifles requires more then that to stay efficient and on time. GAP is one of the few shops that has 9 or more on the shop floor.

#14 has arrived - picked it up after work yesterday. It was too late for live-fire testing, but scope and bipod are mounted so it's ready to go.

DSCN3335.jpg

DSCN3336.jpg

DSCN3338.jpg

First impressions - quite pleased, no issues noted. Cycled a full mag of 10 rounds flawlessly. Like the bolt "hold open" on empty mag. Trigger breaks like my Jewell 2 oz. BR triggers only a bit heavier (guessing about a pound). Balances at the front scope ring. Scope position/placement was easy, due to the front rail.

I'm headed to ASC early Thursday, so won't be able to do much with it until I return, but do plan to get a rough zero after work tonight, weather permitting.

Brad made it happen - Thank you,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZeroDown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If not GAP, what would be a top 10 list of reputable builders that could pull off a build and not create such a mess?</div></div>

You could make a list of Top Builders but most of the Top shops around are 1 and 2 men shows. The problem with that is building 25+ rifles requires more then that to stay efficient and on time. GAP is one of the few shops that has 9 or more on the shop floor. </div></div>
Thanks for the reply. That explains a lot about this thread...and why we may never see another Hide build...

My rifle is finally shipping. Planned delivery for Friday. Hopefully will pick it up next week and get to shoot it next weekend.

CWJ

I havent shot mine yet, Im waiting on Optics.. But I did load up some rounds and they feed and extract no problem. Also, both mags hold 11 rounds.. Is that normal?

Ch

I had a little trouble extracting the fired case on the first test fire, but the second test fire yesterday yeilded acceptable results. I tried some different ammunition, and it was still a little "sticky" on the first round, but seemed to be working much better by the fifth round. The bolt coating may have had something to do with that - had to "wear in" a bit?

Have not done any accuracy testing, but looks OK so far.

Also, now that thee magazine has been used a little, it does NOT hold the bolt back when empty, so I wanted to clarify that comment above.

Did not try to fit 11 rounds, but I do know that 10 fit fine....

Bill

ok guys.... i was going to resize some ONCE fired lapua 260 brass. It came out of the 09 SH build.... brass is trashed, chamber is not right!

please check yours, your brass should not look like this!

IMG_4121.jpg

When did remington start making a belted 260? Pretty much sucks, hope it wasn't Lapua brass. Just noticed it was. That really sucks.

I havent shot mine yet, Im waiting for optics in the mail.. Damn,,,

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my god the issues never stop </div></div>

I think its time for you to serve him a fresh Latte Joe.

Nice!!! Never seen that before

Is it possible that the barrel shank is too short and the chamber is unsupported?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZeroDown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If not GAP, what would be a top 10 list of reputable builders that could pull off a build and not create such a mess?</div></div>

You could make a list of Top Builders but most of the Top shops around are 1 and 2 men shows. The problem with that is building 25+ rifles requires more then that to stay efficient and on time. GAP is one of the few shops that has 9 or more on the shop floor. </div></div>

I think that's part of the problem - one could ask Robert Gradous, Chad Dixon, etc. to do a Sniper's Hide build, but they may say no just due to capacity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Novice31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible that the barrel shank is too short and the chamber is unsupported? </div></div>

Tenon too short or bolt nose recess too deep is where my money is.

...as I do not know what those things even are, I will not argue the point...

...perhaps those issues would cause excessive head space...???...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Novice31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible that the barrel shank is too short and the chamber is unsupported? </div></div>

Tenon too short or bolt nose recess too deep is where my money is. </div></div>

By shank, I meant the threaded portion at the rear of the barrel. That is the tenon? Please excuse my ignorance.

Tenon, shank, pretty much the same thing - the portion of the barrel that threads into the receiver....

I double-checked my 260 Rem fired cases and they have no such indications. I didn't mic them to compare before/after, but nothing visible. Fastford - was that "as fired", or after re-sizing? I've seen lines like that after re-sizing, where the sizing die stops, but never come out of the chamber that way. I have not test-fired my extra 308 Win barrel, yet.

I need to send a shout-out to Charley at Score-High. He donated a Tatical Muzzle Brake Certificate for the 2010 Snipershide Cup, and I was the lucky recipient. I'd arranged to have George send the barreled action over for MB install on the 260 barrel during the build, but after the delay, I just wanted to get the rifle in my hands.... Charley is still honoring that Certificate, so I've shipped him my barreled action for the install. Thank You, Charley!!!!

I'll post a pic and have some range results after it comes back. All I've done to this point is function/live-fire test.

Cheers,

Bill

I have to disagree with you here Kys338. If the build is straight forward with very little difference between builds it would be very easy for a 1-2 man shop to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZeroDown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If not GAP, what would be a top 10 list of reputable builders that could pull off a build and not create such a mess?</div></div>

I have to disagree with you here Kys338. If the build is straight forward with very little difference between builds it would be very easy for a 1-2 man shop to do. </div></div>

Point taken Robert. But, you can't pretend to believe that on a 25 gun build, everything will go right. And when its 1 guy dealing with 25 problems.... thats a huge wrench being thrown in your well oiled machines gear box. Im just saying, its a daunting task but if well managed and you stayed extremely organized then yes a one or two man team could knock them out. The time alone in updating the build thread and answering questions is a project in its own.