• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle *

Re: *Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle *

I will agree that stuff does happen but again if we keep the options low to maybe color, barrel length and caliber plus get the parts that we know we can get, then the chance of a problem is also low. It's when you start adding lots of options and parts that are new for that year or one off items, that's when things can go wrong.

"KISS" in other words.

The problem with George at PSS was not that the job was too complex or too large, but that he took the group's money and spent it on himself. If he had paid for the parts with the deposit money, he would have easily completed the builds within a reasonable time frame.

How many more unaccounted for? I mean paid for not reciceved?

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with George at PSS was not that the job was too complex or too large, but that he took the group's money and spent it on himself. If he had paid for the parts with the deposit money, we would have easily completed the builds within a reasonable time frame.

</div></div>

What's this "we"? Were you assisting him?

No, that was a typo. He owes me $500, working on that right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tenon, shank, pretty much the same thing - the portion of the barrel that threads into the receiver....

I double-checked my 260 Rem fired cases and they have no such indications. I didn't mic them to compare before/after, but nothing visible. Fastford - was that "as fired", or after re-sizing? I've seen lines like that after re-sizing, where the sizing die stops, but never come out of the chamber that way. I have not test-fired my extra 308 Win barrel, yet.

I need to send a shout-out to Charley at Score-High. He donated a Tatical Muzzle Brake Certificate for the 2010 Snipershide Cup, and I was the lucky recipient. I'd arranged to have George send the barreled action over for MB install on the 260 barrel during the build, but after the delay, I just wanted to get the rifle in my hands.... Charley is still honoring that Certificate, so I've shipped him my barreled action for the install. Thank You, Charley!!!!

I'll post a pic and have some range results after it comes back. All I've done to this point is function/live-fire test.

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

It was as fired, not sized

I wonder is Fastford's was chambered with a roughing reamer, and forgot to follow with the finish reamer? I'd be curious if/how a GO-Gage fits.

chansen49, this is the latest list based on what was posted in this thread. If anyone has an update, please advise.

Received:

Fastford
KYS338
native
mclevela
Chiller
TBass
chansen49
WRM
Robozebra

And these members are still waiting:

Dagsta
Jeep Chimp
Outrider
colodog
MASTERPLUMBER
fredjake1
CSTACTICAL
Desert Monkey(?)
Frank/LL(?)

Plus c1steve's SS Apex action
And ChrisF's VR-1 actions

Cheers,

Bill

I have my rifle. Haven't fired it yet, but it's in my safe. Hope my brass looks better than Fastford's....

CWJ

I started reading this thread at 3:00 PM and just finished, I am in complete amazement that it is still ongoing. It's clear that George was in over his head, but at least he had you guys money to keep him comfortable. It seems to me that he used your guys money to get his shop up and running...etc! Probably because he could not get a small business loan. However, that's just speculation.

When will you guys be serious about your money and take his ass to court for a judgement?! That is the only way you will get your rifles anytime in the next 6 months.

This guy is a clown and needs to be taught a lesson.

I got mine without the lawyer. I hate lawyers. I was polite and persistant.

FWIW.

ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chansen49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

FWIW.

ch </div></div>

Yep I was polite the first year..... then it got to him ducking calls and not answering emails. When he received my letter, then court papers I got a tracking number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chansen49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

FWIW.

ch </div></div>

Yep I was polite the first year..... then it got to him ducking calls and not answering emails. When he received my letter, then court papers I got a tracking number. </div></div>

I got mine with out a lawyer as well but I was also willing to pay someone else to finish my rifle.
I was also polite.
He still owes me a sling though, fat chance I will ever see that.

I agree with KYS338 on this, the builder obviously has no regard for his customers and to treat folks that put their hard earned money up in good faith really is a crime.
I noticed there was an Aztek rifle for sale in the SH classifieds so he is obviously turning out rifles.
I cannot fathom the reason he has for not finishing this build and putting it behind him.

I shot TBass's hide rifle and was not impressed. It would not put two bullets in the same place. I got to looking at it and it had stock to barrel contact at the muzzle end. This contact was happening when fired. The barrel is floated. We drimiled out the stock where the contact was. It helped a little, could get the first two shots to touch, but the 3 4 and 5 shot were not close to the first two out of the gun. It diffenetly has issues. To spend that kind of money and to get what he got is all wrong!!!
I'm not sure what he is going to with it. It wouldnt even make a kool paper weight.
Also the top sling clip or whatever you want to call it wont hold the swivel in it, it will pull out.

I have noticed from earlier photos that this action has a cone bolt with a flat edge to pick up a case out of the mag. The cone in the barrel needs to be pretty deep for this design. I sketched it up as I am thinking it is. As you can see from my sketches there is no support fairly high up on the case. This would place the gap up above or near the top of the web of the case. Resulting in the ring you are seeing in the case. If it is indeed as I think, this could be dangerous and I would suggest removing the cone in the barrel and setting the barrel back with a flat face. I have not seen one inperson so I am basing this off of the pictures and calculatons below.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok guys.... i was going to resize some ONCE fired lapua 260 brass. It came out of the 09 SH build.... brass is trashed, chamber is not right!

please check yours, your brass should not look like this!

IMG_4121.jpg

</div></div>
Apex1Bolt.jpg

DSCN3017.jpg

Reactions: JeffLebowski

Wow... has anyone brought this up to George (as if he'd even respond)? How about his "manager" Brad at Apex? I'm sure he'd like to know that George is putting sub-par and dangerous rifles out there with the "Apex" name on them.

It's really telling that you buy a custom gun from a "gunsmith" and have to send it to another after you get it to fix it.

Ive amended my post above as I got Fastfords rifle back after he had a case seperation. AJ is 100 percent correct!!! The angle and depth of the cone breach puts the case head junction with the web right at the portion of the chamber that is unsupported. A slightly hot load will cause a case seperation and your magazine to blow out of the rifle. It's dangerous and guys need to be very careful with these rifles and hot loads!!!! What may be just fine in one rifle will cause damage or injury in another!

Jeez, makes me scared to even fire the thing.. bad juju on it and all..

ch

I received an email from George Liechty in regards to this as I am sure everyone that has received a rifle from him.
I have copied and pasted below his resolution for this issue.

"The fix is, I will re-cut the chamber and pay shipping both ways on the rifle." Per George Liechty 06/29/12

I have approx. 150 rounds thru this rifle with no issues and it is quite accurate. The first rounds i shot thru it were Black Hills Gold 139gr Laupa Scenar, they chrono'd at 2700 fps thru my SH build rifle and that is what I targeted for velocity with my handloads.

I have asked George L. what specifically intends to do to rectify the cone breech issue.
Depending upon his reply I will decide what direction to take with this rifle.

Thanks to Mr. Goddard & Mr. Gardner for their input.

So i am thinking the only way to wash the taste of this abortion away is to actually do a success "new" build and run it completely different. I hate the site's hands were tied because we never exchanged anything physical with George L.

Unfortunately my hands were tied with the way things went here, I had not control once the ok was given... so doing this again I think SH will control every aspect of it where you get the rifle from me and i get the rifles for the builder.

I have a nice, simple, non-controversal build in mind, like a competition gun that would be well suited for today's tactical shooter.

Because the money will go through SH we will have full accountability on both ends, mine and theirs, so nobody is left fending for themselves.

I think 25 rifles, done right and finished in a reasonable amount of time will be a great way to begin to put this behind us. at least for the site.

It will be great. My Valkyrie is amazing. Even it wasn't painless but well worth it.

Good Idea Frank.. I shot mine for the first time on saturday, brass came out ok, but....4-5 light primer strikes. Reloaded em and they went bang..

Dunno what gives with that.

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So i am thinking the only way to wash the taste of this abortion away is to actually do a success "new" build and run it completely different. I hate the site's hands were tied because we never exchanged anything physical with George L.

Unfortunately my hands were tied with the way things went here, I had not control once the ok was given... so doing this again I think SH will control every aspect of it where you get the rifle from me and i get the rifles for the builder.

I have a nice, simple, non-controversal build in mind, like a competition gun that would be well suited for today's tactical shooter.

Because the money will go through SH we will have full accountability on both ends, mine and theirs, so nobody is left fending for themselves.

I think 25 rifles, done right and finished in a reasonable amount of time will be a great way to begin to put this behind us. at least for the site. </div></div>
Great idea, Frank! BlackOps Precision makes some stellar rifles. The SPECTER-BABR with it's short barrel and iron sights will definately get your blood flowing!

title-specterbabr.jpg

I know what I am building and who I am building it with, I am assembling all the parts now and will announce something soon.

Something non-controversial that people can get behind.

If you fellers don't mind, I'm thinking I'm gonna sit this one out. My nuts are swelled up so big I had to hire someone to roll me around in a wheelbarrow.
laugh.gif

Reactions: Bender

Don, you need to take the advice several pages back and have a lawyer send a notice, parts are better than nothing and can be made to work.

Anyone else who hasn't been made whole, that is the best advice we can give as the site's hands are tied in this case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know what I am building and who I am building it with, I am assembling all the parts now and will announce something soon.

Something non-controversial that people can get behind. </div></div>

Sounds good! Look forward to the announcement.

Something like this should wash the foul taste out of my mouth from the last one.. Im in too.

Ch

Do you guys have some inside knowledge of what this build is going to be? I'd be interested possibly if I knew what it was going to be and who was building it. You guys seem to be going all in without any information. What is the time frame on this mystery build? If any you have any info that could be passed on I'd appreciate it. This definitely seems to be a hot item and I have some cash to spend don't want to miss out if there is only gonna be a certain number built. Thanks in advance!

My dumb ass should have looked at the whole post list first before I asked a question sorry fellas. The way I see it this isn't a new build this is from 2009. But it seems that there is another build going on???? I'm confused...

There is going to be a new build, and will have nothing to do with this train wreck that happened in 2009.

Once I have all the details sorted I will make an announcement beyond what was posted here. I am securing all the parts as the site is managing this so not to have a problem like we saw with this builder. You'll buy the rifle from the site and not be forced to fend for yourself. There will be one responsible party, SH.

In ballpark terms...what kind of new build are you thinking about?

I know exactly what i am thinking but I am not announcing it yet.

A competition "tactical" rifle, any short action caliber based off a 308 bolt face, custom action, good barrel, buyer can specify length but weight, taper is part of the build. Two stock choices, bedded, etc...

Sounds like a winner. My vote is for the Bighorn action...

Would love to see a Bighorn, .260 build with a 21" medium palma barrel chambered specifically for the new FGMM round, and sitting in a new Manners T6
smile.gif

Can't get in on it but I can watch. Like the fat dude with no blow at a stripper party.

If you could build it with the ideal action, It would be most popular. This is what I think would be best:

1. Floating bolt head design. These actions appear to be much less sensitive to variations in powder load.
2. Ejection port large enough to top load. If the scope base was integral, this would make the action stiff enough despite the large ejection port.
3. Stainless steel would be helpful for those in wet climates.

How about a Surgeon action, in stainless, with a floating bolt head?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How about a Surgeon action, in stainless, with a floating bolt head? </div></div>

Unobtanium..??..??

Personally, i would like to see a build using the Remington 40x action if remington would go for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDHOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you guys have some inside knowledge of what this build is going to be? I'd be interested possibly if I knew what it was going to be and who was building it. You guys seem to be going all in without any information. What is the time frame on this mystery build? If any you have any info that could be passed on I'd appreciate it. This definitely seems to be a hot item and I have some cash to spend don't want to miss out if there is only gonna be a certain number built. Thanks in advance! </div></div>

None of us have insider information, but after to 2009 rifle, I think a lot of us want to get the next SH build to see the thing be successful and give it momentum for future builds.

Lowlight, if no one else has dibs on number 3, I'd like to call it. I started my practice 3 years ago and this rifle would make a perfect present for me!!! LOL

CWJ

What is the motivation for Hide builds? Is it envisioned that the rifle will be unique, superior, cost less, or what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the motivation for Hide builds? Is it envisioned that the rifle will be unique, superior, cost less, or what?

</div></div>

I'd just say something cool.