• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

*Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle *

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    We are now opening the build for the 2009 Sniper's Hide Rifle - built off the Precision Shooting Sports Apex VR-1 Action.

This will be a limited edition run of only 25 rifles, serialized and engraved, so once they are sold there will be no more. This action is the same one used in the Vortex Razor and shortly I will have more images and videos up of it.

The details of the action include:

<span style="font-weight: bold">APEX VR-1 Action specifications</span>

The APEX VR-1 tactical action is designed and manufactured with the following features.
    • The APEX VR-1 features a one-piece bolt incorporating 3 locking lugs. 2 lugs are located at the front of the bolt, and one lug is at the rear of the bolt. The bolt headspaces on all 3 locking lugs. The diameter of the bolt is .700”. The surfaces of the bolt and the bolt lugs are surface ground to dimension after heat treat to ensure concentricity. The bolt is spiral fluted to remove debris that may collect around the bolt.
    • The bolt throw is 90 degrees.
    • The bolt features a 30 degree bolt nose with a Remington style plunger ejector. The ejector is located for proper operation with APEX VR-1 extractor.
    • The extractor is cut in the right side bolt lug and is field replaceable. It is secured with a spring and plunger. It has the proper angle to eject spent cases to the 3 o’clock position without interfering with the windage adjustment knob on the scope.
    • The APEX VR-1 action is designed to use Remington style triggers.
    • A Remington style firing pin and firing pin spring are used.
    • The rifle incorporates a 3 position safety that blocks the firing pin and secures the bolt closed in the first position. It blocks the firing pin and allows the bolt to be cycled in the second position. The third position is the fire position. The firing pin and safety assembly can be easily removed from the bolt for cleaning.
    • A Tactical style bolt knob is used and incorporates a ½” hex socket in the end for emergency use.
    • The action includes a 30 moa, full length picatinny scope rail. Machined from 7075 aluminum.
    • The piccatinny rail is secured with (4) grade 8 10/32 tapered head Torx screws and located with (2) 1/8” Dowel pins and a .300” thick recoil lug at the front of the action.
    • The side bolt release is .300” wide and secured with a 1/8” hardened steel pin.
    • The action body is a series of flats with 4 recoil lugs. 3 located at the front bottom of the action that interfaces with a 7075 aluminum bedding block that is bedded into the stock. 1 additional recoil lug is located at the rear of the action, and is bedded to a 9/16” 7075 aluminum pillar.
    • The ejection port is 2.500” in length.
    • The barrel tenon is 1.040” in length. The barrel threads are 1.0625” by 1-16 TPI.
    • Over pressure ports are located in the right side of the action, and in the bottom of the bolt.
    • The bolt raceways are EDM cut with an anti bind rail in the left raceway. This is incorporated to insure smooth bolt operation, as well as prevent cartridges from getting stuck in the left raceway.
    • All critical machining is done post heat treat to eliminate warping and dimensional change. These operations include: EDM of the raceways, the tenon, the bolt caming surfaces, the action face and the bolt lug abutments. The machining of the tenon, bolt lug abutments and action face are all performed in the same fixture to ensure concentricity to the bolt bore. All critical tolerances are held to .0005”.
    • The detachable magazine bottom metal uses the Accuracy International “AW” 10 round double stack magazines. The AW style magazine supports a cartridge overall length of 2.980”. The DBM is machined from 6061 aluminum. The DBM interfaces with the bedding block and aluminum pillar in the stock. The DBM features a magazine release lever that is machined from 4140 steel for increased durability. The rifle can also use the Accuracy International AICS magazines without modification. These are required if the rifle is chambered for WSM or SAUM cartridges.
    • The action material is 4340 crome moly steel precipitous hardened to 44C Rockwell. The bolt is 4140 chrome moly steel precipitous hardened to 42C Rockwell.
    • All of the included parts are CNC machined from billet material.
    • Hand made in the United States.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Details of the Sniper's Hide Rifle Build</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Snipers Hide Build Spec. Sheet</span>

• Precision Shooting Sports Inc. APEX VR-1 Tactical Short Action
    • The Bolt will be spiral fluted with an oversized tactical knob, incorporating a ½” socket in the end of the bolt handle.
    • A3 McMillan Stock 50% light tan, 30% light green, and 20% woodland beige.
    • Terry Cross Adjustable Cheek Hardware
    • McMillan Spacer System
    • (2) Flush cups on the forward sides of stock at 3 and 9 o-clock, (1) bottom rear. (3) total.
    • 3” picatinny rail on forward bottom of stock for Atlas bi-pod.
    • Bartlein APEX contour barrel, 18.5” finished length threaded 5/8-24 with cap. Apex contour is as follows: 1.200” for 3.5”, then tapers to .980” at 5.5” then strait taper to .9000 at 18”. Similar to a Tubb Contour.
    • Apex DBM bottom metal with (1) Accuracy International AW 10 round magazine.
    • Cera-coat finish in Coyote Tan
    • 30 moa Apex Picatinny rail
    • TAB gear Sling with flush cup swivels in Coyote tan.
    • Chambered in 308 Winchester or .260 Remington. Barrel twist will be 1/10 tight bore (.298) in .308, and 1/8 twist in .260.
    • Rifle Basix Trigger set at 2.5 lbs
    • Engraved with Snipers Hide Logo on barrel, and Snipers hide serial number. 01-25, 02-25 etc.
    • Apex VR-1 3 position Safety that locks the bolt closed, and disengages firing pin.
    • Apex VR-1 7075 aluminum bedding block front, 9/16” aluminum pillar rear. Bedded with Marine tex.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pricing and Payments;</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">$3350.00</span>

Deposit of $1700.00 to the secure rifle. Any purchased options will be paid for with the deposit at the time of order. $1730.00 Balance due before shipping.

Shipping, Handling and Insurance $80.00 (Includes hard case for shipping) <span style="font-style: italic">Utah customers will be required to pay 6.85% sales tax.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Available Options:</span>

Surefire Quick detach muzzle brake
    +$160.00
    AAC Quick detach muzzle brake
    +$160.00
    Additional AW magazines
    +$70.00
    Huber Concepts Trigger
    +$330.00
    Extra barrels: Threaded 5/8-24 with cap, Chambered and finished to match rifle. Any rifle with the extra barrel option will be finished and shipped after all other standard configuration rifles are finished and shipped. (Only short action .473(308) bolt face cartridges will be considered) Customers choice of barrel length up to 26”. The additional barrels will not have the engraving. Just the caliber designation.
    +$650.00
    Forward NV mount with Rails at 12,3 and 9 o-clock. Finished to match rifle.
    +$200.00 (Customers who request this option will have to do so upon initial order, as it places the flush cups on the forend in a different location. I have to specify the location to McMillan.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Send Cashiers check or Money order to:</span>

Precision Shooting Sports Inc.
    180 W. 500 S. #1
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660
    801-602-5776

<span style="font-style: italic">A copy of an FFL where the rifle will be shipped, will be required before shipment.</span>

Ordering for this build will go until December 15th 2009.

You can post questions here.

Re: *Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle *

Im down for one in 260 Rem! with Surefire muzzle break of course.

Whats our aproximate build time on these LL ?
    smile.gif

I'd love to get in on this. Just can't afford the funds. I'll have to wait and have a copy built.

We are also in the process of doing a load work up specific to this rifle. We will be using the 139 Scenar and Remington brass. Once we are complete, 260 Rem ammunition will be available specific to this build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are also in the process of doing a load work up specific to this rifle. We will be using the 139 Scenar and Remington brass. Once we are complete, 260 Rem ammunition will be available specific to this build. </div></div>

Nice work Chad, that will really make the 260 Rem version more appealing to most. I would also be interested in some ammo once you get that worked out. Tailor made ammo for your new SH build, that is great!

To answer a few questions.

The weight of the rifle as I had it before shipping to Frank was 14.2LBS. That included a Harris bi-pod, a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 M1 scope with sunshade and steel rings.

The fill on the stock will be the lightest that McMillan will allow, and the barrel contour will be slightly slimmer than the prototype rifle. With the changes to the barrel, the style of stock and the fill, I project a 1 pound net loss of the rifle.

Re: *Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle

Sounds cool. I've not shot that action before. I've only shot BAT 3 lugs. I'll finger yours next month and check it out.

George, will either brake take a suppressor without removal?

The brakes are designed for the suppressors, the SF for a SF and the AAC for theirs. Either will work alone or with the correct suppressor.

Might sound like a dumb question but I only have bottom metals for AI mags. Are AW and AI mags interchangeable in this particular bottom metal or does it just use AW mags.

Thanks

Duh!! never mind if I would not have speed read the description I would have seen my answer. It was a dumb question!!!

Sorry

A5-butt hook, Slightly thinner gooseneck, flaton bottom wide round fore end

A3- Not butt hook, thicker gooseneck, sqaure sloped forend (good for riding bags) and no butt hook

i think from the run and gun stand point id choose the A5 but thats me. I can see the A3 having good capabilities because its got the sloped fore end, when you got into those akward positions and needed a little bit more elevation just push the rifle forward on whatever you are using as a rest. If that makes sense

Dear God this rifle will be a menacing thing of beauty. Gotta love that it costs about $2000 to get one into Australia. Tax return mmmm..

LL, what brake is on your test rifle? What are your thoughts on the brake? And, could you post some pics?
    Thanks,
    Ken

any logic on the A3-5?

It would seem to offer the best of both worlds?

Frank,

Please understand I know this is your build. If nothing more I am trying to learn.

The brake on his test rifle was a Surefire flash hider not the brake if I saw it right in the video.

Jake

Jeep, the test rifle had a SF flash hider, which is not to be confused with the SF brake.

The brakes are outstanding on a short barreled rifle like this, and the flash hider was there to give us an idea of the barrel contour and length, not for function. The SF products are expensive so ordering a specific SF brake for the test was not necessary when George L had the flash hider available.

As far as pictures, I will put a video up, but understand the test rifle was not like what the build will be. The only real similarities to the test rifle was the barreled action and bottom metal. So, its not a fair representation of what we are doing.

Frank are the colors on the A-3 gonna be the swirl pattern?? Sounds like a great color combination!!

If this action is Similar to a PGW , does it use the top of the action to actually guide the bolt like the T-wolf , to stop it binding and mkae it real smooth to operate ?

Later Chris

Chris, I really don't know what you are asking. Could you clarify?

There is an anti-bind rail in the left raceway, as well as holding the proper tolerances to keep things running smoothly. Part of having smooth bolt operation is keeping sharp corners from contacting sharp edges. On the APEX VR-1, the corner where the bolt lugs meet the bolt body is a small radius. On the EDM operation, we do a radius at the meeting point in the action. Radius on radius, no corners.

There are a lot of small details that really do not get talked about. But I know they are there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only real similarities to the test rifle was the barreled action and bottom metal. So, its not a fair representation of what we are doing. </div></div>

LL, any plans to sell the test rifle?

To answer a few questions:

The available Muzzle brake/suppressor adaptors are:

Surefire MB762SSAL/RE http://www.surefire.com/MB762SSALRE-Muzzle-BrakeAdapter
    AAC: 18T http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=149#pid=177

Serial Numbers are being spoken for, so if you have one in mind let me know. As a reminder they are 01-25 to 25-25. Specifically 01-25 and 03-25 are taken.

The stock colors are 50% light tan, 30% light green, and 20% woodland beige. It will be molded in swirl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LiteTac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To answer a few questions:

The available Muzzle brake/suppressor adaptors are:

Surefire MB762SSAL/RE http://www.surefire.com/MB762SSALRE-Muzzle-BrakeAdapter
    AAC: 18T http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=149#pid=177

Serial Numbers are being spoken for, so if you have one in mind let me know. As a reminder they are 01-25 to 25-25. Specifically 01-25 and 03-25 are taken.

The stock colors are 50% light tan, 30% light green, and 20% woodland beige. It will be molded in swirl. </div></div>

What do we need to do in order to speak for a serial number? I am ready to spec my build and give my first payment in a few days!

I'm all in baby... PM sent to George.

Here's a pic of the Twolf , close to the Top ejector , you can see a small curve , that guides the bolt from lifting , it runs the whole lenght , and at the ends actually conforms exactly to the round bolt body .
    I hope that makes sense .

DSC04959.jpg

RE : The AAC brake , I would have thought the 51T brake to be the better design ?

Later Chris

Very nice design

I think the brakes are customer specific, not any one design, the surefire has more than one model, and the AAC is suppressor dependent, I wouldn't get wrapped on that option unless you have a specific suppressor and brake requirement then, order the correct one.

Chris,

That feature is actually a carry over from Remington. It is a recess that keeps the case from bumping into the action on extraction. If you look at Remington M700 than you will see the same thing. It is also the same angle as the extractor. It might add something to smooth the bolt on the back stroke, but I don't believe that is what it was designed for.

On the APEX VR-1, the extraction is to the side, and not up at the extreme angle. I will post some pictures of the extractor position later today.

Okay Chris, I looked at the picture and read what you wrote again. You are talking about the guide on the top all the way forward in the bolt throw. Yes the Apex VR-1 is machined in a similar fashion.

I will post pictures later.

My bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpermd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I get one in 7mm WSM?

CP </div></div>

for the switch barrel?

cpermd,

This build is for 260 and 308 only. But I would be glad to build you a 7WSM. It just will not be part of the Snipers Hide Rifle build.

Chiller,

A switch barrel could happen, you would need a new bolt, barrel and magazines. But it could work.

Can the AAC muzzle brake / suppressor adapter be removed and reattached easily by the shooter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bravo51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the AAC muzzle brake / suppressor adapter be removed and reattached easily by the shooter? </div></div>

Why do you want to remove it? You will have to break the loctite loose and make sure you get it back to its correct timing each and every time...

I love that with the green mixed in