• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Another 5.56 safe in a Tikka thread

TOTS

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2014
Firstly, I did search and read the information; just looking for clarification re my specific case.

So why’s this in the reloading forum? I’m spun up on the differences between the two chamberings, but the nuances start getting lost when I’m comparing handloads. Specifically, If my working load of .020 off the lands and just under max charge weight (safe- no pressure signs etc) is longer BTO than the M855, can I infer that the 5.56 would be safe for that particular rifle?

Please let me know if my question isn’t making sense.

I’m aware that .223 is the chambering printed on the barrel, but CIP compliance is as well.

I have a little M855 and I want to use it to break in a new barrel on my Tikka and rough zero my optic. More importantly, when friends/ family that aren’t as proficient with fundamentals are shooting at 100m, I’m not wasting my more expensive (and hard to find) bullets.

That is the beauty of the CIP chamber. You are fine shooting 223 or 5.56. Because CIP does not differentiate Between the two. Fire away

Reactions: TOTS