• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another ammo question: M80 FMJ performance

EchoDeltaSierra

Slightly above average
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2013
Minnesota
As I bring my LRP-07 fully operational, I am wondering how to go about procuring brass. My ultimate goal is to reload for accuracy, but I need brass to do so. Lake City M80 ammo seems to be decently priced again ($0.60/round) and the brass is of good quality. I'm curious what kind of accuracy results people are getting, out to 600M. Also, at $0.60/round, it this worth buying ammo to shoot and saving brass, or should I just buy brass.

Thanks.

I obtained a large quantity of M80 at great prices awhile back, mainly for plinking and days when I didn't feel like loading ammo. It's good to have on hand, and that's not a bad price.

In my 20" match barrel, (Mega Arms branded, 1:10 twist, rifle length gas system), at 100 and 200 yards the M80 will hold 1 MOA-ish groups. This is from the prone, out of a Mega MATEN, with all the fancy upgrades like Geissele trigger and whatnot.

I previously had a 16" DPMS AP4 barrel, and the accuracy of the M80 in that barrel was atrocious at 200 yards, groups were upwards of 8" in size at 200 yards.

Unfortunately, I don't have any better data than that to share right now.

From what I've read, the LC brass is of comparable quality to the LC LR brass used in M118LR. I have quantities of both brass, and I do the same prep on each batch. Swage the crimp out if present, square the primer pocket, anneal, trim, tumble, and it's ready to size and load.

As for the cost-benefit analysis, check the For Sale section here, see what price you can get brass for. Your total cost for hand loaded ammo will likely come in somewhat lower than M80, but you have to factor in your time and effort.

Lapua brass runs from $0.70 to $0.80 each. It seems like Winchester and Remington brass was about 1/2 that at one time but now they are all running pretty well neck and neck for price when you can find them. If the ammunition shoots well out of your gun then the m80 may be a good deal. If, however, it shoots like crap then it is just a big pain in the neck to salvage the brass by shooting it or pulling the bullets. I can reload new Lapua brass for the same price I can buy federal gold medal match or hornady match ammunition, and the handloads shoot better than the factory ammunition.

I've read mixed reviews of the LC brass. If I were going to pull the bullets I would buy Lapua brass instead and save myself the aggravation.

I've shot many sub MOA groups with LC brass. Prep is key. Separate by head stamp. LC munitions plant is operated by contract with civilian munitions companies and the brass does change from contract to contract. I separate by year, clean, de-prime, do a full match prep and then weigh the brass out. It's more work than Lapua or Winchester but will provide good accurate ammunition. If you have the money and hate the work buy Lapua, if LC is all you can afford or all you can find then you'll just have to work a little harder to keep them in the X ring.