• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Borescope “what is this?”

fnm2121

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2023
Philadelphia
IMG_2014.jpeg
IMG_2013.jpeg
Same spot one pic of it at 0 degrees one at 90. Cleaned with Boretech and Kg1 and it’s still there. What is it?

Thanks. I kind of thought so. Lots of other pics of it but this seemed to be a “patch” and not as wormy. Also odd that the image straight on shows it as orange and the 90 shows it as black.

Thanks. I kind of thought so. Lots of other pics of it but this seemed to be a “patch” and not as wormy. Also odd that the image straight on shows it as orange and the 90 shows it as black.
Edges probably have copper on them.

That makes sense. Thanks.
This is all easily explained when you send 20 rounds for load testing, completely assume I would be going back in a few days to test again…let it sit dirty…then 6 months later you realize you trashed your 5r barrel.
Well I guess I shoot on and see how it does.

That makes sense. Thanks.
This is all easily explained when you send 20 rounds for load testing, completely assume I would be going back in a few days to test again…let it sit dirty…then 6 months later you realize you trashed your 5r barrel.
Well I guess I shoot on and see how it does.
Brother, I’m no no expert but don’t know how leaving the residue from just 20 rounds in the barrel leads to that.

And if so, why the two spots and nowhere else?

SS or CM? Brand?

Reactions: FredHammer
Brother, I’m no no expert but don’t know how leaving the residue from just 20 rounds in the barrel leads to that.

And if so, why the two spots and nowhere else?

SS or CM? Brand?
SS 700 5r milspec. It’s only one spot. 2 pics of that one spot. Completely clean other than that.

Reactions: Baron23
I have a old remington 700 in 30-06 it has a spot similar to the one you have. It's probably 6in from the chamber end and it shoots 3/4in group's all day long. It was that way when I got it, all i do is check it at the beginning of hunting season and then at the end of the season to see if it has grown any and it hasn't gotten much bigger. And when it does starts to grow I'll rebarrel it.

Ok I'm going to say something stupid, I think some of these places are cause by insects/spiders crawling into the bore and dying or whatever and the acid from their bodies causes even good SS to start to corrode.

Reactions: FredHammer
Probably an imperfection from the steel itself. Not the first pitted R700 factory barrel I’ve seen. If you search I’m sure there’s other threads with the same on even new rifles

You should see the inside of the barrel on my 1912 manufactured 1896 Swedish Mauser. It would send you into cardiac arrest...but damn if that thing doesn't still shoot!!

Probably an imperfection from the steel itself. Not the first pitted R700 factory barrel I’ve seen. If you search I’m sure there’s other threads with the same on even new rifles
^^^This. They're called inclusions. It happens.

Haha. Speed kills. You’ve never seen a lead core, copper jacket bullet zip through a steel plate?

Bore scopes are easily the largest cause of unnecessary indigestion in all of the firearms industry.
Wrong , being blind to whats going on inside a barrel is ignorant .

Wrong , being blind to whats going on inside a barrel is ignorant .
Worrying about that which you don’t understand is likewise ignorant. The OP does not know that anything he did caused the lesion. Nor does he know that the lesion is negatively affecting anything. He LITERALLY started the thread because he didn’t know what he was looking at. And, without any before or after data, he might as well be seeing animals in clouds.

Worrying about that which you don’t understand is likewise ignorant.
Well you sure as fuck won't get educated by not getting a scope and learning, eh?

I can't say I agree with Haney on...well, much of anything...but I do on this. People who come out with the knee jerk "throw that bore scope in the trash and just shoot" remind me of:

1693793604198.png

I was a long-time borescope hater... now I wouldn't think of cleaning a rifle without one. When used correctly they're a great tool to check your work, but like most things, there's no need to overdo it.

That said, right now it's just a spot... no use worrying about it until you figure out whether or not you can get rid of it. I'd run a patch of Iosso down the barrel and see if that cleans things up and/or maybe send a few rounds downrange before deciding the barrel is ruined.

Reactions: Baron23
Well you sure as fuck won't get educated by not getting a scope and learning, eh?

I can't say I agree with Haney on...well, much of anything...but I do on this. People who come out with the knee jerk "throw that bore scope in the trash and just shoot" remind me of:

View attachment 8219122
The OP does not know what the barrel looked like when new. He does not know that anything he did caused the lesion he found. In fact, odds are that- assuming he is shooting modern noncorrosive ammunition- there is no obvious cause. And, he does not know that the lesion is causing an observable affect on the target.

I have a bore scope. I use the bore scope. But, with the number of “suspect” barrels tgat shoot well, correlating a random “defect” to a hypothetical problem is- at best- speculation.

Borescope can be a great tool. In this case the op said it was shooting good. Scoped it. Seen this. Worried it won’t shoot now. He will be taking it out to see if it still shoots.

Personally I think this is how we should use our bore scopes. He found a potential problem, isn’t sure if it has negative effects yet and is willing to test it out before jumping to conclusions

If I scoped a brand new gun (I know not the case here) like I’ve seen in other threads and this was in there. The gun would be going back before I shot it. It may shoot good it may not. Or at least making the company aware of it in the unfired by myself condition

There were similar threads with brand new Remingtons having pitting like this. Sometimes bore scoping before shooting can pay off

I need to run mine in some savage barrels. My 10 precision carbine looked like a drain pipe just looking with my eye. Can only imagine what this would have shown me

View attachment 8219122
yeah, cause all those guys shooting years before they came along didn't know what they wee doing. the problem isn't the bore scope. it's the novice who doens't umderstand what it's telling them.

Reactions: dpw4x4
yeah, cause all those guys shooting years before they came along didn't know what they wee doing. the problem isn't the bore scope. it's the novice who doens't umderstand what it's telling them.
Yes, That was the point of my putting this out here. Was looking for some advice from you all who have much more experience than I do as to what I am seeing. You all are a fantastic resource . I would be crazy not to ask. Thank you all for the replies.

So what…for years people crossed the country in covered wagons but don’t do that anymore either.

As for “novices” being a problem….what, you were born knowing what you were looking at in a bore?

Hilarious.

Pitting yes. I'd suggest shooting and monitoring. Is that spot stripping a lot of copper from the jacket? If so, does it affect accuracy at the distances one is shooting? It might shoot good groups at 100yds still, but does it at 1000yds? Is this a hunting rig or a competition rig? I would factor all this into whether I would keep or junk the barrel.

Pitting yes. I'd suggest shooting and monitoring. Is that spot stripping a lot of copper from the jacket? If so, does it affect accuracy at the distances one is shooting? It might shoot good groups at 100yds still, but does it at 1000yds? Is this a hunting rig or a competition rig? I would factor all this into whether I would keep or junk the barrel.
Not hunting or comp. Just a fun fairly stock rifle that shoots really well 1/2 MOA at 200 consistently with hand loads

So what…for years people crossed the country in covered wagons but don’t do that anymore either.

As for “novices” being a problem….what, you were born knowing what you were looking at in a bore?

Hilarious.
No, but I knew enough not to confuse it for two separate spots at the start of this thread. And the wagon I travel is is a convertible, keep your fancy 'lectric car.

If you are happy with that, I'd say, just let'her rip, tater chip!
That’s the plan. The fact that I just got my borescope (as they now have the super affordable connect to my iPhone version).. may as some have suggested just exposed a defect that could have been there from day one or sometime long ago. I’m not an inexperienced shooter (although in the grand scheme of things compared to a lot of you all …I am…) just an inexperienced bore scoper.
Just need to see if it still shoots the way it always has.
It’s either that or assume it’s broke and shell out money for a new barrel without even trying. Trying will be far cheaper!
Again thank you all.