• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another DIY Remington 700 Bolt Knob Install (Pic Heavy)

When you paint it why don't you screw a bolt into the body and use it rather then a coat hanger? Much stronger and you can manipulate it any way you want.

When you paint it why don't you screw a bolt into the body and use it rather then a coat hanger? Much stronger and you can manipulate it any way you want.

To be honest, I never even thought about it. Plus, I don't have any idea what thread size the bolt body is. I just use coat hangers for pretty much all of my painting needs, so I just defaulted to that.

I see a full rifle Kryptek paintjob in your future, since you're already halfway there with the netting pattern on your stock. Excellent job for Dremel garage machining.

I see a full rifle Kryptek paintjob in your future, since you're already halfway there with the netting pattern on your stock. Excellent job for Dremel garage machining.

I really like that Kryptek camo. I had never seen it before. Thanks for the compliments.

I guess I should update this thread. After going back and forth about re-doing the Aluma-Hyde, I decided to just bite the bullet and get it Cerakoted. I talked to a local shop that really seemed to know what they're doing. The owner is going to coat the bolt body and all the engagement surfaces with Micro Slick and do the bolt shroud, handle and knob with Armor Black. I can't wait to see how it looks and functions with the new coating. I dropped it off last week and should have it back within a week or two.

The JB Weld was good and dry, so I went ahead and re-threaded it.

Not perfect, but it's better than it was. We'll see if it holds up for the long haul.

After I got done doing that, I Loctited the bolt knob on and smeared some Devcon around the base of the knob and onto the handle.

Got the Devcon sanded down into a contour I'm satisfied with last night. I'll probably end up getting the bolt Cerakoted. I haven't decided on a finish yet.

Pictures continue on Post #24 here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-d-i-y/189751-another-diy-remington-700-bolt-knob-install-pic-heavy.html#post2505263

nice job. Better than the last tutorial I found.

The bolt is finally DONE!

The pictures below show the bolt after about 30 rounds fired and the bolt being cycled many, many times.

20130919_121720_zpse53aa090.jpg

20130919_121811_zps35ae1402.jpg

20130919_121832_zpseda5750c.jpg

20130919_122212_zpse61e7334.jpg

20130919_121848_zps8709e465.jpg

Obviously there is some wear on the contact surfaces and from brass rubbing, but I expected that. I can't believe how smoothly it cycles with no grease on the lugs whatsoever.

Reactions: BLEE
And here are a couple crappy pictures of the bolt in the rifle.

20130919_122509_zpsfa0a9caf.jpg

20130919_122516_zps8e5635ed.jpg

I wish the pitting didn't show up as bad as it does, but oh well. It actually looks like the Cerakote amplified how big the holes look.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLEE
A case of the old droppies....The had me about half mad the other day. My son laughed at me for an hour. But the bolt looks great.

Next time get some autobody filler from oriellys and fill the small devcon holes. and on the bare metal i always etch prime it before i use alumihyde. it seems to help it stick a lot better. thinking about doing my bolt knob now. nice job

dam i dont have the confidence of doing something like that on my rifle .........on someone elses maybe

This is the thread that gave me the confidence to do the same thing. Turned out great, I love it and saved some cash. Not to mention the bit of pride that comes along with doing it your self!

Reactions: Fabian Kitchen
You guys are an inspiration for perspiration!

I decided to do my own bolt as well!

It is a Sendero Rem 700 in Stainless (magnetic stainless though!) and went very well.

I used a stainless bolt handle and it turned out rather nice, also with the pride of DIY!

I did have a back-up plan though: If for 'some reason' I screwed it up, I was going to buy a PTG bolt! :cool:

So I felt good either way it was going to work out!

PICS:

3n3b.jpg

jpex.jpg

Even the STAINLESS bolt handles have inclusions/defects!

6n6o.jpg

wl7s.jpg

ebo7.jpg

Thanks again!

Will

Last edited:
You guys are an inspiration for perspiration!

I decided to do my own bolt as well!

It is a Sendero Rem 700 in Stainless (magnetic stainless though!) and went very well.

I used a stainless bolt handle and it turned out rather nice, also with the pride of DIY!

I did have a back-up plan though: If for 'some reason' I screwed it up, I was going to buy a PTG bolt! :cool:

So I felt good either way it was going to work out!

PICS:

3n3b.jpg

jpex.jpg

6n6o.jpg

wl7s.jpg

ebo7.jpg

Thanks again!

Will

Awesome! I like that stainless look!

William_LXIX said:

You haven't seen flaws or inclusions until you have done some Savage handles. Stainless or carbon steel it doesn't matter, I have actually seen bats fly out of them when cut into.:rolleyes:

Great write up! I used a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel for the initial cuts after starting with a grinder.

How hard it is to work with Devcon? I have a Badger Ordnance bolt knob in a R700 bolt and it needs some blending work. Not all of the original bolt knob was ground down before the threading so there is a small area that is fairly sharp. I figured I could just use a dremel and cutoff wheel to remove that small part and some of the sharp edges then use Devcon to fill in and shape the square bolt handle to the round bolt knob.

What was used to sand/shape the Devcon? Also, what Devcon did you use? I'm guessing it was the Metal Patch and Fill?

How hard it is to work with Devcon? I have a Badger Ordnance bolt knob in a R700 bolt and it needs some blending work. Not all of the original bolt knob was ground down before the threading so there is a small area that is fairly sharp. I figured I could just use a dremel and cutoff wheel to remove that small part and some of the sharp edges then use Devcon to fill in and shape the square bolt handle to the round bolt knob.

What was used to sand/shape the Devcon? Also, what Devcon did you use? I'm guessing it was the Metal Patch and Fill?

Actually I used the Devcon Plastic Steel Putty. It was very easy to use and I just used emory cloth to shape it.

Yeah it depends on the DEVCON my friend!

We use a DEVCON gun with 2 minute epoxy that I wouldn't trust to do this, as it sets up VERY quick...

Will

Thank you for posting this. I completed my bolt knob installation this afternoon. It took be about five and a half hours, and the work was fairly easy. Hardest part was setting the angle on the shank, when you cut off the old knob lobes. Your instruction was very helpful.