• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Firearms VICTORY!

Switchblade

muf kin poser
Minuteman
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_supreme_court_guns

Teaser:
"WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court held Monday that the Constitution's Second Amendment restrains government's ability to significantly limit "the right to keep and bear arms," advancing a recent trend by the John Roberts-led bench to embrace gun rights.

By a narrow, 5-4 vote, the justices also signaled, however, that some limitations on the right could survive legal challenges."

This is a solid step to insuring that the second paragraph has a tougher time of happening

This is breaking news on FOX as well

Re: Another Firearms VICTORY!

Just read this. Seems we take another step forward. Still wouldn't move back to IL though
smile.gif

This is the most important yet because it holds that the right to keep and bear arms is a "fundamental" right that can not be abridged and applies not only to the feds but also to the states through the 14th amendment. Truly an historic day and one that could not/would not have happened with Kagan on the bench.

Mispoke, Stevens (who Kagans, if confirmed, will replace) Was one of the 4 dissents so the outcome wouldn't have changed....this time.

You can guaranty if you wanna be legal in Chicago to own a pistol.
bring youre gym shoes cause you will be jumping through hoops to own a pistol.

This is real change. But real change always happens in two directions at the same time. Our First Amendment is the envy of the world. But our Fourth Amendment has been whittled away to be only a shadow of its former self. Time will tell whether the Second Amendment will go the way of the First, or the Fourth.

Switchblade beat me to the post,read some of the comments on yahoo news.I still can't believe how ignorant our "fellow citizens" are about guns.Also,notice how "Justice Sotomizer" voted.Wasn't this "Wise Latina" in favor of the individual right to own guns? Guess that was only during the confirmation hearings.

This should not have been a difficult case to decide, as the Court has previously held that constitutional restraints on the federal government also apply to states and localities when other civil rights are in question. Nonetheless, the four liberal justices found reason to make exceptions for the civil right they personally disagree with.

I'm kind of on the fence with this ruling. I feel that this ruling could have broad implications on individual State's rights, some of which aren't even gun related. I think it essentially is the last shot fired in the War Between the States of 1865. The ruling basically allows the Fed to "regulate" firearms to the point of oblivion. Sure you can own guns, but eventually its going to get down to the point where they tell you how many you can have, what you can have, etc, etc. You can own one, but thats it...your rights aren't being infringed because they are allowing you to have access to one. This could actually be dangerous folks.
I hope the regulations that are decided upon are in fact reasonable, but what may seem reasonable to one person isn't necessarily going to reasonable with somebody else. What is going to stop the government from incorporating any other rights we have just so they can regulate the living crap out of them to their satisfaction? I just hope its "regulated" sensibly. So much for the "made in such and such state" legislation to avoid Fed regulation. I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me I'm not. Thats where I am on this issue.

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm kind of on the fence with this ruling. The reason I'm on the fence is that I think this ruling goes further than just gun rights. I think it essentially is the last shot fired in the War Between the States of 1865. The ruling basically allows the Fed to "regulate" firearms to the point of oblivion. Sure you can own guns, but eventually its going to get down to the point where they tell you how many you can have, what you can have, etc, etc. You can own one, but thats it...your rights aren't being infringed because they are allowing you to have access to one. This could actually be dangerous folks.
I hope the regulations that are decided upon are in fact reasonable, but what may seem reasonable to one person isn't necessarily going to reasonable with somebody else. What is going to stop the government from incorporating any other rights we have just so they can regulate the living crap out of them to their satisfaction? I just hope its "regulated" sensibly. So much for the "made in such and such state" legislation to avoid Fed regulation. I feel that State rights are pretty much going to be null and void on a lot of issues now because of this. I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me I'm not. Thats where I am on this issue.

Chad </div></div>

Kind of what I was thinking. This 'victory' could actually be more of a defeat in the long run. Allowing them to rule on specific parts, be it pro or against, only allows for the continued thought that the right is to be dissected piece by piece as opposed to be taken as an overall right. We may have won a single battle but just the fact that we're having single battles will in time prove to be a lost war.

I'm afraid so Jer and SITD. We might have won the battle but we might just lose the war in the end. I'm not sure if this was clearly thought out before it was addressed to the USSC. Some things are best left alone.
frown.gif

Chad

Watch Daley Make It Nearly Impossible for the Average Chicago Law-Abiding Citizen,To Be Able To Afford To Rightfully & Legally Own A Handgun-BY ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:

1.City of Chicago Citizen Registration Fee
2.City of Chicago Firearm Registration Fee
3.MANDATORY Insurance for the firearm owner.
4.BEYOND REASONABLE-Weapon Access rules.
5.PUSH State & County Officials To Do The Same AND/OR MORE!
6.TAX The Shit of EVERTHING & ANYTHING relating to firearms!!
7.GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT ELSE!!!

I believe its a victory and lays a good foundation to overturn some states unconstitutional firearms restrictions. Like Switch said, keep up the fight!

I certainly wouldn't move back to Mass after all the fun I have in Texas now..

You do not need to fight in every court in the country, most the states get it. Few states such as Ill, NY and Calfornia that don't as well as cities like Chicago, NYC and Wash DC. As rights are violated need to take them to task and work it out in the courts.