• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Another Hunter Shot

Duc

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2007
NE. Illinios
In Illinios;
Staff report

3:02 p.m. CST, November 22, 2011
An Inverness man was killed and his 15-year-old son was injured in a deer hunting accident over the weekend in Jo Daviess County, officials said today.

The shooting happened Saturday at about 5:33 a.m. at 17630 U.S. Highway 20 in East Dubuque, according Jo Daviess County Sheriff Kevin Turner.

John Hanlon, 44, was pronounced dead at the scene and his son had been injured after they were shot by from a 12-gauge shotgun, officials said.

The teen was treated for his injuries and released from Finely Hospital in Dubuque, Iowa, Turner said.

Kelly G. Jackson, 53, of East Dubuque, was charged by state conservation police with misdemeanor reckless conduct because he fired his gun an hour ahead of legal shooting hours, said Chris McCloud, a spokesman for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Everyone involved was hunting deer and had proper licenses and permission to be on the property, McCloud said. Jackson was not in the same hunting party as Hanlon and his son, Turner said.

The shooting remains under investigation and has been turned over to the Jo Daviess County State's Attorney, Turner said.

Be careful out there!

Re: Another Hunter Shot

Prayers to the family. There's no excuse for this kind of shit. I sure hope they're more charges pending.

Another num-nut with no brain, destroys a family! Makes me sick to my stomach.

poor kid,sick of hearing all these stories.my opinion is THERE ARE NO GUN ACCIDENTS PERIOD.a gun does not just go bang.call me what you want thats how i see it.oh yea what about the fuckin idiots who dont use binos for hunting i like them the best,boy is that a deer i see over there,let me point my rifle at it and look through my scope,oops thats not a deer its a hunter in orange.fukin idiots..

That guy should have his hunting and gun rights taken away for life, so that he understands that he took this boy's father away from him for life. That's B.S. that he only got a citation for shooting before legal shooting time. The conservation officer needs a swift kick to the ding ding.

I have done alot of guiding in the west for big game and most of my clients are from back east. Probably 90 percent, and I cant tell you how many have told me about sound shots. It is for no better words where, when you hear a noise you just shoot into the brush and hope it is a deer. always blew my mind when i would hear that, sounds like that may be what happened. Very sad!

I just dont get whats wrong with these people. At 5:33 your gun should never be picked up for any reason. What is with people not identifying their target before shooting.

This happened a couple of hours north of here. In Illinois it is illegal to even have your gun <span style="font-style: italic">loaded </span> before legal hunting hours. Shooter is a total ballsack.

A few years ago I was guiding an elk hunt here in Northern NM. We had a gang of six from Missouri on that hunt. Sitting around the fire one of these guys says "I was walking down the road and had a sound shot, but didn't get anything" I asked him what a "sound shot" was. He said "it's when you hear them in the brush and shoot at the sound". I told if he did anything like that around me- we were done and he was a dumbass for doing shit like that. His answer was "well no one should have been in the brush". They exist, unfortunately.

Un-f*ckin-believable! When will people learn to NEVER, EVER fire a shot until you are absolutely one-hundred percent certain of what you are shooting at?!

I agree. I just cant understand mistaking a man for an animal nor can I understand shooting at something I cant clearly identify. Outside of sheer stupidity this doesn't make sense.

Retarded, wasted fuck, oxygen thieving pieces of shit like him should not be allowed to walk free among us, much less have a fucking gun!!!! Shooting at movement?!?!? This ignorant son of a bitch just ruined a lot of lives because he's too damn stupid to identify his target!!!! If you can't tell, this shit pisses me off.

I always use a head lamp walking in even if I do not need it to find my way.

Should be manslaughter at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....and I cant tell you how many have told me about sound shots.... </div></div>

Had the same experience, I was just dumbfounded...

Very sad story to say the least. Had a hunter shot and killed here in NE during firearm season. One friend shot another because he failed to identify his target before shooting. I had a very personal experience with a hunting accident when my friend shot himself and would wish that on nobody.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done alot of guiding in the west for big game and most of my clients are from back east. Probably 90 percent, and I cant tell you how many have told me about sound shots. It is for no better words where, when you hear a noise you just shoot into the brush and hope it is a deer. always blew my mind when i would hear that, sounds like that may be what happened. Very sad! </div></div>

That is some scary stuff right there. First time I've heard that,,,
eek.gif

Thing that gets me. They have a tag in their pocket, for a specific species of animal, usually a specific sex as well. There are too many different animals (and people) in the woods to not I.D. your target first. Shoot the wrong animal, your gonna be in some trouble. Shoot a person, you <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">should</span></span></span> be headed for a nice long stay in jail. It's not rocket science,,,,
confused.gif

Our thoughts and prayers for the family, and a grand jury for the idiot shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyote223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Kimmel said:
Thing that gets me. They have a tag in their pocket, for a specific species of animal, usually a specific sex as well. There are too many different animals (and people) in the woods to not I.D. your target first. Shoot the wrong animal, your gonna be in some trouble. Shoot a person, you <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">should</span></span></span> be headed for a nice long stay in jail. It's not rocket science,,,,
confused.gif
</div></div>

I am originally from WI. Problem is they think Blaze Orange is the answer. However everyone has an any buck tag and usually a party doe tag. So to many just shoot anything and put the proper tag on it after the fact. Back then there was no moose or elk so everything close to a deer was deer or a hunter. To many think because they did not see orange it had to be a deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spoon77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyote223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Kimmel said:
confused.gif
</div></div>

I am originally from WI. Problem is they think Blaze Orange is the answer. However everyone has an any buck tag and usually a party doe tag. So to many just shoot anything and put the proper tag on it after the fact. Back then there was no moose or elk so everything close to a deer was deer or a hunter. To many think because they did not see orange it had to be a deer. </div></div>

Not that I got started I think the answer is not blaze orange but it should be never mixing the tags.

Meaning doe season is just that.
No either sex tags.
Spike only
Fork only
3 Point or better.
Force the idiots to identify their target.
None of the seasons can overlap.

It is my considered opinion that ANYONE who KILLS another hunter should serve the maximum jail sentence allowed for an aggravated manslaughter charge. If the victim is wounded, the shooter should receive the maximum jail sentence allowed for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

We had a hunter found dead in his tree stand last weekend. It appears he had his rifle tied up and was pulling it up. Not sure how he had it tied off put somehow the gun fired and hit him in the chest killed him right there in the tree.

Now about the above stuff. This is the reason my father would not take me hunting as a child. We fished but no hunting of any kind. We went shooting some times and a big washout in the woods but knew noone was around. The only got to hunt a few dozen times with my uncles when we'd come home for the holiydays when I was a child. But I'm older now and I see why my dad was this way. He chased heavy construction and we never had a real hunting club to join. That's one reason I could go with my uncles it was a managed club and everyone pinned out on a map so you knew where everybody was at. To this day I can't bring myself to go and hunt in the WMA.