• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another IR Laser + Illuminator thread

Lunar95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
About to pull the trigger on some tnvc psv-14 WP NVGs and my last hurdle is the weapon side.

I'm super new to the topic but a few things i'v picked up, most units are civilian version and not worth it. There are a few but are 2k+ easy.

So I was thinking just deal with it and get a holosun LS321G or HLAD-3G, maybe getting a combo setup like a surefire vampire white/IR light and Holoson LS221G.

I really just don't know what my options are, and there is so much info all over the place it's hard to cut through the noise. Not sure what to look for and what separates junk from useful. Is it the illuminator? the laser?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've seen decent reviews of the holosun stuff for close in work. Another one that gets good reviews is the steiner dbal-d2. I've thought about the otal-c with a clamp that mounts a surefire vampire on it. Those would be my 3 choices unless I got a good deal on something like a kiji 3° or Mawl. There's a sight (the name eludes my mind atm) but it's like a tactical craigslist and there's fp Peq's on there if you wanna go that route

What are you hoping to do?

My go to budget setup is a Steiner OTAL C laser (~$400), surefire vampire (~$200) and a TAPS switch ($100) to let me run either the laser by itself or laser + light. These are all well built units that I wouldn’t be worried about buying used.

You could substitute the Vampire with the Elir Luna 3 if you don’t think you’ll ever need white light. Personally I’ve been happy with the vampire.

Given your price range, I’d do the above or go DBAL D2 (a heavy unit but powerful). If money isn’t an issue, then the BE Myers MAWL or Wilcocks RAID are great options (they use a vscel laser to pump out more power and are still considered eye safe by our babysitters)

ETA: forgot about the kiji but that’s a good IR only option too

Last edited:
Reactions: Namekagon
I’m running a CQBL and a Kiji 3*. I have this combo on two rifles and it performs well within 100-150 depending on the conditions. I also use the TAPS Sync 4 with the two.

For white and IR light, a cheaper alternative to the surefire vampire is an inforce WMLx. 700 lumen white light, with 400 mW IR light at the flip of a switch. The IR is very floody, so I’d say it’s best for short distance stuff.

For long range IR illumination, it’s tough to beat a LUNA for the price.

Edit to add: the downside to the WMLx is that it doesn’t use tail caps, just a pressure switch on the back of the unit. But it works well, so i just position the pressure pad for my otal-c right next to it so I can basically bump both simultaneously.