• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Another knife suggestion thread....

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Don't shoot me! I don't have enough time to do the proper research, I would rather have suggestions from those who wouldn't mind lending me the time.

I am looking for a new EDC knife. I am a car salesman, and I can't conceal a gun, so I like to carry a knife for a just-in-case scenario. Plus like everyone, having a knife comes in handy from time to time.

So I need a knife with a pocket clip, with a blade large enough to be used in an emergency defence situation, but small enough that it fits comfortable in the pocket of dress or khaki pants.

I live in Maine, so I'm pretty sure auto openers are out, but assisted openers are OK. I'm leaning towards a SOG Aegis, but I would like suggestions as well. Budget would be limited to about $200, unless there were something totally AWESOME that was above that price that I could justify.

Thanks!

-BM

Re: Another knife suggestion thread....

My favorite carry is the ESEE Izula. It's a fixed blade knife, but small and ultra-light. Comes with a Kydex sheath that snaps tight. You can pocket carry this one, belt mount or neck hang. (If you go neck hanger, make it break away -- don't use the paracord that comes with as a lanyard.)

Sure there will be more ideas coming your way.

Go with Spyderco Knives. I have carried the POLICE model for a long time now, and found it works for me. Stays sharp is damn near indestructible. Made it though my motorcycle accident much better than me. JAA

You might take a look at the Emerson CQ7 with the wave feature. I have been carrying one for about 5 months now and so far Ive been impressed, the chisel ground blade keeps a good edge and once your used to it its no problem to sharpen. As far as quick deployment I believe the wave feature puts this one near or on the top being that it deploys as you pull it out of your pocket. At approx. $150.00 it will be under budget too.

Zero Tolerance ZT 0350. Cost is around $120 shipped. Great knife overall.

Detailed Description

This Zero Tolerance knife is a folding knife, that is 10% smaller than the best selling ZT-0300 series of knives. Features SpeedSafe® assisted opening system. Ambidextrous index-finger protrusion for one-handed opening. Black G10 handle, S30V blade. Pocket clip can be mounted in 4 possitions for tip up, or tip down carry on right or left side.

Specifications
Overall Length (inches): 7.65 in.

Blade Length (inches): 3.25 in.

Blade Material: S30V stainless-steel with Black Tungsten DLC coating

Blade Detail: Plain Edge

Handle Material: Textured G-10 , Black

Lock Style: Liner Lock

Carry System: Pocket Clip

If you go this route, just remember to never let anyone "use" it. You'll never get it back lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RECKON SO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might take a look at the Emerson CQ7 with the wave feature. I have been carrying one for about 5 months now and so far Ive been impressed, the chisel ground blade keeps a good edge and once your used to it its no problem to sharpen. As far as quick deployment I believe the wave feature puts this one near or on the top being that it deploys as you pull it out of your pocket. At approx. $150.00 it will be under budget too. </div></div>

Yes, fast deployment is important to me, and a fixed blade is out, as I can't belt mount it, nor could I carry around my neck and still have a fast presentation if it is under my tucked in, button up shirt. I was thinking a moderate size blade folder with some sort of assist, I'll look into the Emerson CQ7, thanks guys!

Would the tanto blade be what I am looking for as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zero Tolerance ZT 0350. Cost is around $120 shipped. Great knife overall.

Detailed Description

This Zero Tolerance knife is a folding knife, that is 10% smaller than the best selling ZT-0300 series of knives. Features SpeedSafe® assisted opening system. Ambidextrous index-finger protrusion for one-handed opening. Black G10 handle, S30V blade. Pocket clip can be mounted in 4 possitions for tip up, or tip down carry on right or left side.

Specifications
Overall Length (inches): 7.65 in.

Blade Length (inches): 3.25 in.

Blade Material: S30V stainless-steel with Black Tungsten DLC coating

Blade Detail: Plain Edge

Handle Material: Textured G-10 , Black

Lock Style: Liner Lock

Carry System: Pocket Clip

</div></div>Hey, I really like the look of that! Is the opener intuitive and fast? How is the quality of the steel (I don't know a whole lot about knife steel.)

I always like the what ______ should I get threads. Most of the times, there is no conclusive answer, if there ever were, everyone would have the same thing. Especially with knives.

For me, I carry different knives depending on what I wear and depending what I feel like carrying. Current knife is a Benchmade 760LFTi. Titanium handles with a M4 tool steel blade. Or sometimes I carry a Kershaw Blur, with a 154CM blade. Sometime down the line, I would like to pick up a Emerson CQC 11 or a Strider SMF with gunner grips in digital.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always like the what ______ should I get threads. Most of the times, there is no conclusive answer, if there ever were, everyone would have the same thing. Especially with knives.</div></div>

But a great way to get ideas for what to buy next!

Yes, I'm most likely going to buy one of the knives in this thread, so I do appreciate the input!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11
[/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, I really like the look of that! Is the opener intuitive and fast? How is the quality of the steel (I don't know a whole lot about knife steel.) </div></div>

The ZT 0350 speed open is very intuitive and very fast. The blade steel was designed for knife blades. The S30V holds an edge great, the downside is that it is harder to sharpen. I just sent my last 0350 to a member from this site that is currently in Iraq, ordered a new one and a ZT 0400 yesterday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11
</div></div>Hey, I really like the look of that! Is the opener intuitive and fast? How is the quality of the steel (I don't know a whole lot about knife steel.) [/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The ZT 0350 speed open is very intuitive and very fast. The blade steel was designed for knife blades. The S30V holds an edge great, the downside is that it is harder to sharpen. I just sent my last 0350 to a member from this site that is currently in Iraq, ordered a new one and a ZT 0400 yesterday. </div></div>I think I'll pick one of these up. It looks pretty nice, and the price is right!

You say it's hard to sharpen though, what's involved?

benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade </div></div>

this,

i have had bucks, gerbers, CRKT's, and a number of others and none served me as well as my benchmade, ive had it for 3 years of very hard abuse, hundreds of sharpenings and its still my favorite knife, the blade is no longer black, the texture on the handle is almost unrecognizable. and its still going, (dont use the end for a screw driver, itll snap off and its not covered), but replacement blades are only about 40$

josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You say it's hard to sharpen though, what's involved? </div></div>

Sharpens the same as any other knife just takes longer because the S30V steel is very durable. This is the same reason it holds an edge so well. You should not have to sharpen it very much at all if you do not abuse the edge. I have a Zt0100 that I use for chopping hickory BBQ wood and prying off the bark. I have used it like for about a year and have only sharpened it once. Not exactly what it was designed for, but it is very effective.

Okay then,

before I jump on the zt-0350, would you Benchmade fans mind suggesting a knife the would suit my needs? EDC, large enough for defense, etc.

For $200 you can get pretty much anything other than a custom/semi-custom knife.. and maybe even some semi-customs. If you are looking for a good defensive knife that you are going to carry all day long.. I would look for as long a blade as is legal for you and then to with something light. If it is heavy you aren't going to want to carry it after the cool factor wears off.

I would recommend a Spyderco Military as it has a 4" blade and is super light. It is probably the lightest blade in the 4" category and razor sharp. You can get them in various colors, handles and materials. There is a Titanium version out that you could get for around $180 I believe or you can go with the standard liner lock version for about $120.

Another suggestion would be the Benchmade Skirmish (but may be discontinued). BIG blade and beefy but not overly heavy.. at least doesn't feel as heavy as the ZT's I've had.

Other guys love the Benchmade 710 and find it to be the ultimate production folder. I just can't get into it for some reason. The Benchmade Nitrous Striker is another nice knife with FAST/STRONG assisted opening.

Few others to throw at you that I like:
Al Mar SERE - Strong but on heavy side.
Emerson CQC8 - Tough but on heavy side.
CRKT M21 - Cheaper but good quality.. but little heavy
Bradley Alias - Made by Benchmade and a poor mans CRK Sebenza (don't own one..yet).
Benchmade Griptilian of your flavor - Great EDC and light with Axis lock.

These are just some that I own and recommend. Lots of other good options too. Hit up Blade Forums and look around .. something will pop for you.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or this, but it's almost too big: http://cgi.ebay.com/Zero-Tolerance-ZT-02...=item2a084a04db</div></div>

I had the ZT200 and sold it. It is an awesome knife and loved the shape/feel but was just too heavy. It's not really a EDC for me as I work in an office environment and is too bulky. I really wanted to love it and kept it for some time.. but moved it for something else that I get more use out of.. super good quality though.

Hawk,

Thanks for the advice. A lot of recommendations for the spyderco, I have never handled one though. To me, it looks as if it would be tough to open fast, but I must be mistaken, if there are so many recommendations?

I like the look of the skirmish, how is the opening? Is it fast?

The Skirmish has been discontinued by Benchmade. I have been looking for the regular or the mini for some time. And just about everyone out there, the owner wants a damn mint for them. For a fast opening knife, Emerson with a wave.

To me, a knife is a tool. I use tools to perform work, sometimes resulting in damage or loss of the tool.

I really like Mora carbon steel knives for work. I can buy in the $10-20 range and get a razor sharp, good quality 4" knife with sheath. When I break one or lose one, or even loan one to a buddy, there is very little crying involved.

I have yet to find anyone with a $500 custom knife that will deliver on the quality AND utility AND value I get out of a $20 Mora.

I see that now. I found stores listing them, but didn't realize they were all "backordered." You can find them, but they are $350 plus on ebay.

If you can find a Skirmish it is a great blade.. and any folder can be fast if practiced with. In fact, I can open most folders faster than an automatic. As mentioned above, the Wave feature is very fast.. it opens by grabbing onto the pocket to fold open. Emerson invented it but others have paid for rights to the use it.

The Military is as fast as any other folder. I really like the Spyderco hole for an opener.. doesn't get snagged on things like the studs on others do.

And make sure to look at the CQC-8. I would put that second after the Spyderco Military. It comes with the Wave feature on it.

Let me know if you want to see a comparison pic of any of them.. I can put one up.

take a look at ZT ive had mine for a year and love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can find a Skirmish it is a great blade.. and any folder can be fast if practiced with. In fact, I can open most folders faster than an automatic. As mentioned above, the Wave feature is very fast.. it opens by grabbing onto the pocket to fold open. Emerson invented it but others have paid for rights to the use it.

The Military is as fast as any other folder. I really like the Spyderco hole for an opener.. doesn't get snagged on things like the studs on others do.

And make sure to look at the CQC-8. I would put that second after the Spyderco Military. It comes with the Wave feature on it.

Let me know if you want to see a comparison pic of any of them.. I can put one up. </div></div>Might as well take a look at that pic, if you are offering...

S30v does seem harder to sharpen. My current benchmade everyday carry knife is S30 and it seems like I'm always getting the stone out for it, whereas all my other stainless knives (440C, VG-10) I can just hit them on my kitchen knife steel.

Anyway, S30V is good stuff, but I haven't noticed that it holds an edge any longer than any of the other high end stainless steels. Realize it's bit hard to test these things empirically, just my 2cents.

I have an opportunity to buy a Surefire LEO for $200, new. It is this knife: http://www.surefire.com/EW-08

What do you guys think? No one had mentioned surefire yet, and I had forgotten they made knives.

Specs:

Length Closed 5.25 inches
Length Open 8.62 inches
Blade Length 3.37 inches
Weight 5.9 ounces

Titanium fram, S30V blade, and a built in screwdriver, which I can see being handy.

What do you guys think?

I'll try to get a pic up today. What knives do you want to see?

On the Surefire.. I responded to your other post. For 60% off and if you like the features.. may be a good buy. Just depends on your needs. If it's for last means protection.. I'd find 3.3" blade to be on the smaller side.. but YMMV.

I'd like to see a side by side of the ones you recommend!

On the surefire- a little smaller than ideal, perhaps, but the weight seems good and it would be a good fit for khaki pockets. The screwdriver is a real positive as I am a car salesman who takes license plates off daily.

Here are the following:
Spyderco Military
CRKT M21
Emerson CQC-8
Benchmade Skirmish
Emersone CQC-7
Benchmade Griptilian

As you can see the Skirmish dwarfs them all. Sorry not great with the camara work, but gives you an idea.

p1010533o.jpg

p1010534j.jpg

I really like that Skirmish, too bad they run so much on ebay! The Spyderco's are pretty ugly, but everyone that has one, seems to like 'em. The Emersons are nice knives! Big decision, or I could do like you, buy one of each!

Check out the ZT 0500 MUDD also, true one hander knife. Clip allows it to be completely concealed in your pocket.

Zero Tolerance 0500 ZT Mudd Manual Folder Knife

Folding military knife designed by Grant and Gavin Hawk. This folder dubbed the mudd knife features Neoprene®seals around the pivot and lock to keep the elements at bay. Resistant to sand, dirt and water. The knife features a 5/16” dia. pivot shaft for strength and the blade is Tungsten DLC coated. The handle is light-weight aluminum and the scales are textured G-10 for a superior grip in all weather conditions. The oversized blade opening lugs are ideal for left or right-handed operation even while wearing combat gloves.
Specifications:
Steel: 154CM stainless-steel with Tungsten DLC coating
Blade Length: 3 3/4 in. (9.5 cm)
Overall Length: 8 7/8 in. (22.5 cm)
Weight: 4.9 oz.

Picture183.jpg

I really like the look of that knife!

The MUDD Knife is sweet too.. It's a bit bulky but a cool knife non-the-less. They are discontinuing them so if you want one.. grab it now.

It took me quite some time to collect all those.. and many more like it. Many have come and gone as well.

On the Spyderco, I was the same way when I got into knives as an adult. I didn't get the odd knife geometry, long handles (compared to blade length) and the Spyderdo hole opener. But once I got one.. I was in love. For $120 give one a try.. if you don't like it.. someone will buy in a matter of hours at the same price.. or maybe just a few bucks less. I think you will be surprised at what you get.

I've had my paws on a lot of folders, this Emerson CQC7A fits me nicely. EDC for 9 yrs, use it every day. Lots of quality knives mentioned. Try to put as many of the suggested knives in your hand if you can.

I had the Tanto tip version of this Emerson, sold it. I believe the drop point bevel grind is more practical EDC tip/grind. The Tanto tip with the chisel grind for me was a poor slicer.

IMG_1939-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like that Skirmish, too bad they run so much on ebay! The Spyderco's are pretty ugly, but everyone that has one, seems to like 'em. The Emersons are nice knives! Big decision, or I could do like you, buy one of each! </div></div>

It's just a matter of time, you will buy more then 1 knife.

It's like guns, they tend to multiply.

Ain't that the truth. I've bought 10 new guns this year alone, it's a sickness!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the ZT 0500 MUDD also, true one hander knife. Clip allows it to be completely concealed in your pocket.

Zero Tolerance 0500 ZT Mudd Manual Folder Knife

Folding military knife designed by Grant and Gavin Hawk. This folder dubbed the mudd knife features Neoprene®seals around the pivot and lock to keep the elements at bay. Resistant to sand, dirt and water. The knife features a 5/16” dia. pivot shaft for strength and the blade is Tungsten DLC coated. The handle is light-weight aluminum and the scales are textured G-10 for a superior grip in all weather conditions. The oversized blade opening lugs are ideal for left or right-handed operation even while wearing combat gloves.
Specifications:
Steel: 154CM stainless-steel with Tungsten DLC coating
Blade Length: 3 3/4 in. (9.5 cm)
Overall Length: 8 7/8 in. (22.5 cm)
Weight: 4.9 oz.

Picture183.jpg
</div></div>

You had to post this, didn't you?

Just ordered!

I ended up buying that Surefire, I figured at the price I could get it for, it was worth a try, and I really liked the looks of it! I have 2 surefire lights that are of the highest quality, and I know surefire suppressors are really nice, so I figure their knives are probably nice as well, if maybe a little pricey.

OP,
Just another something to think about- in order for the knife to be second nature, you need to carry it EVERYDAY. Something that fits your pocket and hand will get carried and not left at home because it is too big or uncomfortable to carry. This will count for more than blade style or steel.
I love my Emerson Commander but it is too bulky for everyday carry in some pockets. My Spyderco Delica is in may hand and open before I give it a second though and it is comfortable in everything I wear.
TwoDoor

Yes, thank you, that is why finding the right knife is important to me. Something big enough to be useful in a last ditch defense situation, but small enough that I'll have it on my.

Currently I have an inexpensive Gerber that I can draw and have open almost instantly, but that is because I have so much time with it.

So as an update, I got the knife in today.

I like it! It is a little bigger than I expected, but fits fine in a khaki pocket. The clip is much stronger than on my old Gerber, which seems to inhibit drawing it, but I'm sure that in time I'll get used to it.

Thanks again to everyone that made a suggestion in this thread. I'm sure that this Surefire isn't the only knife I'll end up with...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lone_soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade benchmade </div></div>

this,

i have had bucks, gerbers, CRKT's, and a number of others and none served me as well as my benchmade, ive had it for 3 years of very hard abuse, hundreds of sharpenings and its still my favorite knife, the blade is no longer black, the texture on the handle is almost unrecognizable. and its still going, (dont use the end for a screw driver, itll snap off and its not covered), but replacement blades are only about 40$

josh</div></div>

YEP YES AND YOU BET! I have lots of Benchmades and you can go from overseas made if you dont have much money or US made blades that are still way back of $200 with plenty of assisted blades to choose from. If you are not a pro sharpener, do yourself a favor and get a blade you can sharpen. There are "waves" and "tantos" and all kinds of neat grinds out there, but for an EDC(by Benchmade) and get a grind you can sharpen easily. I have over 250 knives and some very cool blade designs, but my edc's that i actually carry are usually simple blade shapes so they are easy to touch up. ENJOY!