• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another New Shooter from Wyoming

ken4570tc in WY

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2018
Wheatland, Wyoming
Nooby here,

My second post - great info guys! I was dragged into 1,000 yrd bench rest about a decade ago and caught the 'long-range bug'. Got to shoot a couple of seasons with the Colorado Rifle Club and compete in NBRSA Nationals with a self modified Savage .308. I learned a lot, mostly that I didn't know much getting started. Now I'm working on a Ruger Precision Rifle in .243. Why .243? The arthritis in my shoulders has made me more recoil sensitive over the years than I'd like to admit and some guy from the Dakotas was always in the top ten shooters with his wimpy 6Dasher. Another reason for the .243 was that 6.5 ammo and components were tough to find a few years back. I'm still working on the brass before I get to a lot of shooting. One of the things I failed to do was keep a log book. That will be the next thing I make or purchase. I'll start keeping a log of the case prep and load development. I've been blessed with a shooting area on BLM land I've marked out on fence posts to a mile. The first 400yds are flat and the rest has a slight uphill incline of about 7 degrees. I keep the rancher that has the lease happy by checking over his cattle, making an occasional fence repair and never leaving any trash behind. Looking forward to learning and getting more experience with the long range tactical crowd. I hope to meet some others in the vicinity of southeastern Wyoming.

Ken

ShtrRdy, thanks for the reply!

I'm almost done with initial brass prep - primer pockets, flash holes, length trimming, deburring, chamfering, bullet-less fire-forming, neck wall thickness variance checks, neck turning, case weighing and marking with more to come. I'm going the excessively anal route so I can track each piece of brass and watch for commonalities that produce fliers. As I learn from this, I'll certainly share what matters and what doesn't.

Ken

Wow man, I'll be interested in what you figure out. Most of the people who do the precision rifle thing like to get "good" accuracy but don't worry about "GREAT" accuracy. My personal goal is to hit within 1/2 moa of where I'm aiming. My groups are always better than 1 moa unless I do something bad.

Welcome. I too live in SE WY.
Nice to see someone active in the region. I was beginning to think I was the only one. When I looked for posts from this area all I could find were a hand full in 2012. I'll be trying to knock some golf balls off at 500 yards before trying the 1K prairie dogs.

There are a few active members in our area here. I know Bender lives here, as well as a few others who don't post much. We usually shoot at the Otto Road Shooting Range.

Nooby here,

My second post - great info guys! I was dragged into 1,000 yrd bench rest about a decade ago and caught the 'long-range bug'. Got to shoot a couple of seasons with the Colorado Rifle Club and compete in NBRSA Nationals with a self modified Savage .308. I learned a lot, mostly that I didn't know much getting started. Now I'm working on a Ruger Precision Rifle in .243. Why .243? The arthritis in my shoulders has made me more recoil sensitive over the years than I'd like to admit and some guy from the Dakotas was always in the top ten shooters with his wimpy 6Dasher. Another reason for the .243 was that 6.5 ammo and components were tough to find a few years back. I'm still working on the brass before I get to a lot of shooting. One of the things I failed to do was keep a log book. That will be the next thing I make or purchase. I'll start keeping a log of the case prep and load development. I've been blessed with a shooting area on BLM land I've marked out on fence posts to a mile. The first 400yds are flat and the rest has a slight uphill incline of about 7 degrees. I keep the rancher that has the lease happy by checking over his cattle, making an occasional fence repair and never leaving any trash behind. Looking forward to learning and getting more experience with the long range tactical crowd. I hope to meet some others in the vicinity of southeastern Wyoming.

Ken
Welcome. Your not the only one in WY. I’m only about a hour from you.

I don't post a whole lot here, but I'm at the Otto Road Range pretty frequently. Good to see other WY shooters on the board.

Welcome.... Another Wyoming resident here. I’m in Laramie. We have a great range here. Steel out to 1200 yards.

Welcome.... Another Wyoming resident here. I’m in Laramie. We have a great range here. Steel out to 1200 yards.

Max,

Thanks! I was just getting ready to close out of the forum when your reply came up. The steel out to 1200 sounds really good. I don't expect to be shooting my RPR beyond 300 yds till next summer. I'll be going out tomorrow to pop off the last 100 blanks I'm fire-forming for a close chamber fit.

Max,

Thanks! I was just getting ready to close out of the forum when your reply came up. The steel out to 1200 sounds really good. I don't expect to be shooting my RPR beyond 300 yds till next summer. I'll be going out tomorrow to pop off the last 100 blanks I'm fire-forming for a close chamber fit.
Yea we are lucky to have such a range.I’m an RSO there. If hou ever want to stretch out, let me know. I can have unlimited vistors $10 per shooter. Memberships are $75 a year. The image below shows the canyon and some of the steel. The numbers are from the 600 yrd berm and there is one more rack added to make it 1200 yrds from the 1000 yards berm. At the 1000 yard target line there is a sheltered target area . So someone can be up there putting up targets and calling out hits via radio. The target holders are on a counterweight pulley system.

LLRC Canyon.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Max,
Exactly where is this range? I'm in Wild Horse Ranch... new to the area.

Last edited:
Is that the same range the University of Wyoming is using? My son just started.
Yep Trevor who started it, is a buddy. They were up there Sunday while I was doing an RSO slot. You should DM me your sons name. I’ll introduce myself.

Last edited:
Yep Trevor who started it a buddy. They were up there Sunday while I was doing an RSO slot. You should DM me your sons name. I’ll introduce myself.
Will do.

I don't think he has been to the range yet, but from what he has told me he is trying to hook up with the Precision Rifle club at UW. I still need to send his 22, 6.5 for the matches and a hunting rifle. I was planning on bring them out with me during parents weekend the 29th.

I guess they can only store three guns on campus, so that leaves his shotgun at home. It is a bit weird, but they can't have ammo stored.. We still need to figure that part out. Well, thats still super cool either way.

Tactical Taz is also from Laramie

Will do.

I don't think he has been to the range yet, but from what he has told me he is trying to hook up with the Precision Rifle club at UW. I still need to send his 22, 6.5 for the matches and a hunting rifle. I was planning on bring them out with me during parents weekend the 29th.

I guess they can only store three guns on campus, so that leaves his shotgun at home. It is a bit weird, but they can't have ammo stored.. We still need to figure that part out. Well, thats still super cool either way.

Tactical Taz is also from Laramie

I'm sure the club will help out with all that. Let me know via DM if there is anything I can do......

Reactions: Diver160651
Max,

Looks good and you've picked up some additional interest for the club. I'll have to try to arrange a Saturday or weekday trip before the snow season starts and the days get too short.

Reactions: Holliday