• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Another sounder wiped out.

Cool video. May I ask what the term sounder means? Awesome shooting that looked like fun.

Cool video. May I ask what the term sounder means? Awesome shooting that looked like fun.

A group of antelope is called a herd.
A group of ants is called an army or a colony.
A group of apes is called a shrewdness.
A group of baboons is called a troop.
A group of badgers is called a cete.
A group of bass is called a shoal.
A group of bears is called a sleuth or a sloth.
A group of beavers is called a colony.
A group of bees is called a swarm, grist or hive.
A group of birds is called a flock, flight or volery.
A group of hogs is called a sounder.
Ect, ect.

I have been hunting with them twice. I went to high school with one of the guides. I agree trapping is the best way to reduce the hog population, but shooting them is a lot more fun.

Eddie

This video certainly shows that it can be fun to eradicate the little buggers. But, if you're a farmer, you know the economic costs of hogs on your land. If you're serious about Hog elimination, I'd suggest you investigate Jaegerpro. My friends run it, and their methods are spreading across the United States.

M.I.N.E.? Trapping System | JAGER PRO Hog Control

What is the range to the sounder? How close do you typically get?

This particular group was approximately 60-70 yards for the first shot. The second encounter the first one was maybe 20-30 yards the last few were to 50-70 yards.

If I'm shooting with my pvs-14 with 3x behind a eotech I like to be 40-50 yards. Any closer is to close and makes it harder for me to score multiple hits. With the w1000 I have increased that to 80-100 yards even though it's still a 3x It seems like much more to my eye.

This video certainly shows that it can be fun to eradicate the little buggers. But, if you're a farmer, you know the economic costs of hogs on your land. If you're serious about Hog elimination, I'd suggest you investigate Jaegerpro. My friends run it, and their methods are spreading across the United States.

M.I.N.E.? Trapping System | JAGER PRO Hog Control

I have used those traps on my friends ranch but eventually the hogs learn not to go in. Even with the live video feed some are outside and see what goes down after that they will never go in and teach others not to. The best eradication plan is to trap and shoot. But I will say this I have cleared the hogs almost entirely off some large properties just by shooting. You won't kill them all but they learn where not to go especially when you take out a large portion of the group in every encounter. My record so far is 47 that's including piglets ;). My family's place is split up in different sections not connected the latest section has not had a hog on it in almost two years now just from shooting. I have to say I miss them.

I have used those traps on my friends ranch but eventually the hogs learn not to go in. Even with the live video feed some are outside and see what goes down after that they will never go in and teach others not to. The best eradication plan is to trap and shoot. But I will say this I have cleared the hogs almost entirely off some large properties just by shooting. You won't kill them all but they learn where not to go especially when you take out a large portion of the group in every encounter. My record so far is 47 that's including piglets ;). My family's place is split up in different sections not connected the latest section has not had a hog on it in almost two years now just from shooting. I have to say I miss them.

How many people were fed with those 47 pigs? I happen to farm in an area known as the pig capital of the US. Most people in the area grew peanuts at one time. Now they are growing (or claiming insurance and not growing) cotton. These people still despise the hogs even though they cause minimal other issues. They graze my wheat, rye, and triticale just like deer do. They dont bother my haygrazer at all. I have heard that they can be destructive in milo fields but i havnt seen it myself. The biggest problem they cause me is rooting in johnson grass for whatever reason. I LOVE hunting them and EATING them much more so than deer. I just cant understand why someone would want to eradicate them and most people just leave them lay. I do have a deep seeded hatred towards coyotes and will kill them at every opportunity. I guess its the same thing.

Last edited:
How many people were fed with those 47 pigs? I happen to farm in an area known as the pig capital of the US. Most people in the area grew peanuts at one time. Now they are growing (or claiming insurance and not growing) cotton. These people still despise the hogs even though they cause minimal other issues. They graze my wheat, rye, and triticale just like deer do. They dont bother my haygrazer at all. I have heard that they can be destructive in milo fields but i havnt seen it myself. The biggest problem they cause me is rooting in johnson grass for whatever reason. I LOVE hunting them and EATING them much more so than deer. I just cant understand why someone would want to eradicate them and most people just leave them lay. I do have a deep seeded hatred towards coyotes and will kill them at every opportunity. I guess its the same thing.

A bunch of those were given to the ranch hands and their families. But now most peoples freezers are full of all the pork they have room for. In the winter I will take the back straps out of some. And I give it to my dogs to supplement their dog food. But for the most part they feed the buzzards and coyotes. It's not only the damage from rooting it's the disease they can transfer to cattle, the quail population they have destroyed, the competition for food with other native species, did you know hogs will eat fawns and kid goats? We will never wipe them out and I'm glad because I love hunting them year round but we do have to keep them in check.

This is just one nights damage.

We dont have hogs in the area where my house is and we dang sure dont have quail these days either. Raising, training, and using pointing dogs was my passion when we had huntable numbers of quail. If biologists dont think hogs caused the quail decline, why do you? How many fawns do you think hogs actually chase down and eat? They are opportunistic feeders and there are much easier meals out there. What disease do they transfer to cattle?

quail roost on the ground don't they?
I would imagine, with a hogs sense of smell, they can certainly find quail eggs easily and I'm sure they are quite fond of them.

We dont have hogs in the area where my house is and we dang sure dont have quail these days either. Raising, training, and using pointing dogs was my passion when we had huntable numbers of quail. If biologists dont think hogs caused the quail decline, why do you? How many fawns do you think hogs actually chase down and eat? They are opportunistic feeders and there are much easier meals out there. What disease do they transfer to cattle?

Brucellosis, Pseudorabies, Hoof and mouth. Quail were my passion also the fire ants did a number on them in the 90's hogs have about finished the job. For the kid goats and fawns I'm pretty sure myself that is is rare although there are several game camera pics floating around of hogs with fawns in their jaws. My mission at first was to eradicate them now I like hunting them to much so I just keep them in check like last weekend. Out of the 18 hogs killed 13 were sows and all 13 were pregnant or had litters.

Feral Hogs and Disease « Texas Natural Wildlife

Impact of Feral Hogs on Ground-Nesting Gamebirds « Texas Natural Wildlife

Attachments

• IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
I think the break even kill numbers are around 80%; that's to maintain present numbers. They just breed too young, too often and have too many. Lawman, sweet vid and shooting!

Selfbow hunter, just because you can't imagine it, doesn't make it not true. they'll eat each other, watch them start sucking up each others blood when you shoot them in a trap! Lest than a mile from my farm, the hogs got in and ate four goat kids at a friends farm. Newborn fawns don't run at first do they? they stay put.....

The state of MS has a kill order on hogs, with a special footnote in the annual hunting regs, about leaving hogs were they lay if you are not experienced in handling these critter's safely. IE bloodborne pathogens. There are 17 or 18 zootropic diseases they can carry. Zootropic means that these diseases jump species very readily and often.....even humans.

So, princess get out from under that rock you live under and off your soapbox, put your big girl britches on and live and learn. But don't bring anything home you cant see, as it could effect your young children or older folks; kinda like West Nile Virus risk groups.

Cheers,
Breeze

you say you are a farmer in the pig capitol of texas and you have never seen them tear up a field......you just lost all credibility with that statement

it looks like a cuttin hire has been pulled across sections of a hay field if ANY wild hogs pass through it feeding

im not a real big hunter but wild hogs are bad news to a farmer period. i dont care if none of them are eaten.

you say you are a farmer in the pig capitol of texas and you have never seen them tear up a field......you just lost all credibility with that statement

it looks like a cuttin hire has been pulled across sections of a hay field if ANY wild hogs pass through it feeding

im not a real big hunter but wild hogs are bad news to a farmer period. i dont care if none of them are eaten.

Heya JByrd, I thinks some turnabout is fair play. How about we use 'em like the Indians did fish? We could jam a whole bunch of peanut(whatever) up the pig's ass and let them start a bountiful harvest!

Cheers,
Breeze

Last edited:
Are there any places on the East Coast that need help keeping the hogs in check? I miss the boar hunting we did in Germany some 20 years ago.

Lawman, didnt' mean to hijack your post. Yet another fulfilling day! We feed folks and even our own heroes per U.S. Soldiers Foundation.

Awesome video Texaslawman! Seriously, it looks like a ton of fun and keep up the good work. We read all the time how they are taking over and the destruction they are doing. Hats off to Southbreeze for using the meat to help others. I have a program in Indiana where if you kill a deer and take it to one of my processors, I'll pay the processing fee and donate the venison to the needy. My processors are checked by the Health Dept, insured, and sign an agreement with me not to raise the price during the year. Last year I paid for 110 deer in my county.

One of these days I'm going on a pig hunt .... hopefully before I get to damn old.