• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Southwest Ammo thread..

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
I just got my 6.5CM barrel for my AE Mk III this week and put the barrel on using an action wrench offered by Dennis Adams here on the Hide. My action/barrel needed a very small headspace adjustment and AINA and Dave Tooley turned it around in 4 days. 4 DAYS from my door, back to my door. You cannot beat that.

Anyways, I shot it before and after the adjustment and the SW Ammo just flat out shoots. I tried some factory Hornady 140 AMAX ammo and the best was .8" all the way out to 1.4" at 100yds. I still have 75 rounds of the Hornady stuff that I'm just going to have to harvest the brass with.. Not slamming Hornady's load, it just doesn't work in my AE for whatever reason. Southwest's 142gr SMK Creedmoor offering on the other hand has so far grouped .38", .42", .51", and .62" at 100yds with bipod and rear bag. These aren't cherry picked groups, these are literally the first 20rds through the barrel with the SW load. I will be hitting the range this weekend and can't wait to shoot further.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Zach and Mike, keep up the good work fellas! </span>

Here's a few pics of the groups I shot this week.
img3938a.jpg

img3919x.jpg

You can see how the Hornady is running in my rifle with the top targets. Southwest group in the calipers.
img3920mt.jpg

Re: Another Southwest Ammo thread..

Can't wait till my 6.5 is done, I already talked to the guys at Southwest for a load development pack to see what shoots the best. Thanks for the write up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronin1973</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait till my 6.5 is done, I already talked to the guys at Southwest for a load development pack to see what shoots the best. Thanks for the write up </div></div>

Not a problem Ronin and I'll try to take more pics this weekend at some distance (though we usually shoot steel).

I usually measure an SD of 3-5 for a 10 shot string with the SW 139g. I can't load any better with top shelf components.

ETA: 260 Rem

This is nice to see today, appreciate it.

Our recent tunning to the 6.5 creedmoor. Little shorter, tad bit less powder, looks like a winner.

To think we were going to drop this product.

Zach

Cell: 480 390 8121

SW better not drop the 6.5 right when I get my rifle done! I look forward to trying their 142s.

Did you order a factory AI barrel? I was under the impression that AI barrels were bolt-on-and-go?

Btw, how do you like the MkIII? Still shootin that 260 you sold me. Thing's a hammer but those MkIIIs are gorgeous.

TBJ, the AI barrels are supposed to be bolt on and go but I guess I have an action that was slightly out of spec. Maybe it was just tolerance stacking? Regardless, I love my AE Mk III.

Thanks for the kind words Danel. I'm planning on hitting the range in the morning and will try to add more info.
smile.gif