• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another SPS Package..love/hate relationship, Pics!

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Shooters, I just finished up another SPS package for a customer. It turned out really well as did the others. Now, with out coming off like a big baby, I hate doing these SPS packages for a few reasons.

So much of the chamber has to be "pushed forward" to get a nice clean chamber. With that being said, if the original chamber is not concentric with the bore, the new one will not be either.

In addition, the threads must be picked up so the new threads in the barrel match the original.

Furthermore, were still working with a factory barrel/bore which can be less than stellar, the threads, bore, and chamber are never concentric with (any combination) of each other.

Dialing in the bore also has its own specific challenges and can sometimes take an hour or two to get set up in the lathe just to start making cuts. I never get that good feeling that everything will turn out the way it should like when I'm doing a barrel from scratch.

Now, with that being said, this rifle came together after quite some time and it really shoots well!

I test fired the rifle just as I received it from the customer but with my optics and a cleaned barrel.

Federal Gold Metal Match 168 and 175 ammo was used in each 3 shot group. Ammo is expensive and you get the point with the 3 shot groups, so 5 shot groups would have added 8 more rounds fired....$$$$

The Pre-SPS package groups measure....

168 FGMM- .812"
175 FGMM- .630"

The Post-SPS package groups measure....

168 FGMM- .243"
175 FGMM- .111"

These rifles get the same attention that my custom builds get. The processes and techniques used are highly precise and no stone is left unturned when doing these packages.

Here are some pictures....

IMG_0652Large.jpg

IMG_0653Large.jpg

IMG_0655Large.jpg

IMG_0654Large.jpg

IMG_0662Large.jpg

IMG_0656Large.jpg

Pre-SPS Package FGGM 168 3 shot Group

IMG_0657Large.jpg

Pre-SPS Package FGMM 175 3 shot group

IMG_0658Large.jpg

Post-SPS Package FGMM 168 3 shot group

IMG_0660Large.jpg

Post-SPS Package FGMM 175 3 shot group

IMG_0659Large.jpg

Mark

Re: Another SPS Package..love/hate relationship, Pics!

thats some good lokin groups after the work you did to the gun.
very impressed

Nice job, Mark!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what all does the rifle have done? </div></div>

This rifle had these services performed in my shop.

Muzzle threading and crowning....Install Badger FTE
Full Action and bolt truing
Finial lap of the bolt/action lugs to ensure full contact
Set the chamber back and chamber to 308 Bisley
Check stock/action fit for stress....No stress found
Slug the barrel and lap if necessary. Barrel slugged good.
Install surface ground recoil lug
Perform Tactical bolt knob conversion....(huge accuracy increasing service)

The trigger work had already been done prior to receiving the rifle.

Mark

Nice work! If I had kept my SPS tac, I definitely would have sent it to you (I was planning on it.)

Jesus that's a nice shooting rifle with a factory barrel......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dhutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus that's a nice shooting rifle with a factory barrel...... </div></div>I know, really makes me question why I spent so much more...

The two I have shot are UNBELIEVABLY accurate..

I just sighted my SPS Tactical in and was about .25 or LESS on a 3 round group...

It does wear a HS Precision M24 stock... but its NON Bedded action...

It shoots TOO good to screw with and LOVES Black Hills 175 match ammo.

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe i missed the explanation...but wheres the other 2 shots in the "group" photos...</div></div>

Do yourself a favor and read the entire post next time....

"Federal Gold Metal Match 168 and 175 ammo was used in each 3 shot group. Ammo is expensive and you get the point with the 3 shot groups, so 5 shot groups would have added 8 more rounds fired....$$$$"

I like your range.
One of the things that I miss about Ohio.

Just don't miss the political climate.
I remember when Dennis Kucinich was the Mayor of Cleveland, He was a dork then too.

Wow. Fantastic measurable improvement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dhutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe i missed the explanation...but wheres the other 2 shots in the "group" photos...</div></div>

Do yourself a favor and read the entire post next time....

"Federal Gold Metal Match 168 and 175 ammo was used in each 3 shot group. Ammo is expensive and you get the point with the 3 shot groups, so 5 shot groups would have added 8 more rounds fired....$$$$" </div></div>

I think that was sarcasm? He was basically saying that's some damn good shooting considering it looks like one hole...

Mark I'm new to this site but I was wondering should I get the varmit or the tactical? I really don't like the 26" barrel but I could always be cut down. I thought the shorter barrel would be more accurate. I want to decide in which stock to use and send to you for your magic touch. Also can you bed the action if I decide on a H-S?

Nice!! Will you also do this package on an SPS Varmint or only the Tactical version???

Looks great!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sithlord</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark I'm new to this site but I was wondering should I get the varmit or the tactical? I really don't like the 26" barrel but I could always be cut down. I thought the shorter barrel would be more accurate. I want to decide in which stock to use and send to you for your magic touch. Also can you bed the action if I decide on a H-S? </div></div>

This process can be done on the Varmint or SPS Tactical. As long as there is enough barrel to allow me to push the chamber forward.

Since the barrel gets threaded and crowned. Cutting a longer barrel to length will be no problem at all and will not be extra.

This barrel is really a shooter. I would like to think we can duplicate these results every time, but each rifle has so many different variables.

The previous SPS packages I have done have turned out 1/4 - 1/3 MOA shooters, but eventually were going to run into a rifle that just has too many stacked tolerances and will only see slight improvement if any.

Mark

Thank you for the response. As soon as I take delivery of my rifle and stock you will be the first person I call. By the way from the sounds of it I will go with the varmit as it will probably give you a little more working room. All the research I've done I wouldn't take my sps to anyone else, everyone swears by your work. One more question in your opinion which stock will be easier for you to work with?

Mark, I've already had my SPS-V cut down to 24 inches.. with your work, will it cut it even shorter?? And if so, by how much??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sithlord</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the response. As soon as I take delivery of my rifle and stock you will be the first person I call. By the way from the sounds of it I will go with the varmit as it will probably give you a little more working room. All the research I've done I wouldn't take my sps to anyone else, everyone swears by your work. One more question in your opinion which stock will be easier for you to work with? </div></div>

It would seem like the Varmint would have a little better stock to work with. Now with that being said they are both pretty bad....but the Varmint might be the lesser of two evils.

Koobs,

I do not have to cut it back any farther. The length is up to you. Tops you will loose .5" from the barrel set back.

Mark

Your range looks a lot like mine does, except that this year mine has soybeans on each side. I talked with the farmer, my neighbor who plants behind my house and asked if he would leave me a lane so i could shoot. He said no problem, so now i have a lane about 20' wide and out about 300 yards so i can shoot from inside my garage all summer. Then in the winter I can go out to almost 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Koobs,

I do not have to cut it back any farther. The length is up to you. Tops you will loose .5" from the barrel set back.

Mark </div></div>

hmmmm.... looks like after I get my stock from JW Precision im gonna have to save up some more money for this upgrade.. Gonna wait and see how she shoots first!

Thanks Mark!!

I got to see some of Mark's work first hand (and shoot it too) with flounderv2's 5R on Saturday out at Thunder Valley. It was top rate work, someone needs to teach Aaron how to shoot it now
wink.gif

Great to see another one roll out, very nice! I hope to meet you some day out at TVP (aka Shooter's paradise) and bend your ear a little. Til then, it's great to see these rifles you're building, thanks for the writeup.

One question for the guys with SPS's what stock did you go with? I was thinking the H-S m24 but if money works out the action will be sitting in a AICS. Ok one more for the guys with varmits what is the barrel length you went with? I was thinking 20-22".

Go with any standard HS non adjustable and get an eagle or similar stock pack; cut strips of a mouse pad to raise the level underneith the pack until you have the proper cheek weld.

Also check out Score High bedding compound, very user friendly, and the guys there will provide you with any support you need plus a power point on how to do it yourself.

http://www.scorehi.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got to see some of Mark's work first hand (and shoot it too) with flounderv2's 5R on Saturday out at Thunder Valley. It was top rate work, someone needs to teach Aaron how to shoot it now
wink.gif

Great to see another one roll out, very nice! I hope to meet you some day out at TVP (aka Shooter's paradise) and bend your ear a little. Til then, it's great to see these rifles you're building, thanks for the writeup. </div></div>

Teaching Aaron how to shoot seems to be the most popular request coming in my shop these days!!! haha

Aarons package I ran would only shoot around .4-.5 MOA. I was trying to get it lower, but sometimes its just the nature of the beast with these factory rifles.

I will try to make it up to TVP. My own personal 308 is under construction and is not even shootable. Its hard to get my own stuff running the way I would like to when I have so many other peoples to work on.

I miss the good ole days of only working 9 hour days..........

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got to see some of Mark's work first hand (and shoot it too) with flounderv2's 5R on Saturday out at Thunder Valley. It was top rate work, someone needs to teach Aaron how to shoot it now
wink.gif

Great to see another one roll out, very nice! I hope to meet you some day out at TVP (aka Shooter's paradise) and bend your ear a little. Til then, it's great to see these rifles you're building, thanks for the writeup. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">...
Aarons package I ran would only shoot around .4-.5 MOA. I was trying to get it lower, but sometimes its just the nature of the beast with these factory rifles.
...</span>

</div></div>

Til I shot it I would have believed it was a 2 MOA rifle...

Side note: Job security though right? I just graduated from college and adjusting to working a regular schedule at all is weird for me.

I have an SPS Varmint with about 200 rounds through it, have you noticed a change in results with how many rounds are through the barrel?

Also PM sent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got to see some of Mark's work first hand (and shoot it too) with flounderv2's 5R on Saturday out at Thunder Valley. It was top rate work, someone needs to teach Aaron how to shoot it now
wink.gif

...</span>

</div></div>

</div></div>

Man, I give flounderv2 a lot of crap, but that was just WRONG!

Not that I didn't send Mark a txt saying he shouldn't let Aaron tell people he worked on the rifle if they also see him shoot it.
grin.gif

Mark - you can whine about those packages from sun up to sundown if they shoot like that. Nice work!

Sounds like the Shoemaker's kids when it comes to your gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got to see some of Mark's work first hand (and shoot it too) with flounderv2's 5R on Saturday out at Thunder Valley. It was top rate work, someone needs to teach Aaron how to shoot it now
wink.gif

...</span>

</div></div>

</div></div>

We all give him a hard time, but Aaron is a great guy and can actually shoot.

It just so happens that just about everybody outshot him last time at TVP. We both had pretty low scores!

Mark

Yeah, I could tell he can shoot, I was just busting his chops some. I didn't fare well either the last time out, I had almost no real dope for the rifle when I hit the range and I needed to reset my zero 5 mins before the match. The fun continued as I proceeded to screw up and did an all around piss poor job of driving the rifle.

Next time... next time...

Well, at least you were aiming at the correct target. At the 1175 yard steel target I missed 3 shots with no called spotters. Turns out I was not even aiming at the 1175 but the 975 yard target off to the side......

You live and learn. I dont know what I learned except you have to aim at the right target...lol

I like what you have done with the SPS rifles. I just bought my wife a .223 SPS because she got the bolt gun bug after shooting my GAP. Your package would make an entry level gun much better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like your range.

I remember when Dennis Kucinich was the Mayor of Cleveland, He was a dork then too. </div></div>

Yeah but Dennis Kucinich totally knows aliens exist. I heard he got to ride in a UFO once...
cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like your range.

I remember when Dennis Kucinich was the Mayor of Cleveland, He was a dork then too. </div></div>

Yeah but Dennis Kucinich totally knows aliens exist. I heard he got to ride in a UFO once...
cry.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, he is a total tool bag. I'm embarrassed that there are enough people here to keep voting for him.

Sorry, it took me so long to post about the rifle Mark did above. A combination of a certain Mod's temper tantrum and my computer(s) taking a dump prevented me from publicly thanking Mark for doing an awesome job on the rifle above. Workmanship was as promised and his responsiveness to my numerous email questions were top notch. I would definitely send any future rifle projects back to him.

I was most juiced when Mark posted those photos of the incredible groups he was getting out of a factory tube. I was anxious to see if I was up to the task of shooting to the rifle's potential. So after getting the rifle back from FedEx, I was like a kid on Christmas wanting to go play with my new toys. However the 1st couple of range sessions doing a new load re-workup (since its a different chamber) were NOT stellar. I was seeing VERY pronounced horizontal stringing. After getting close to being very discouraged, one of my shooting buddies suggested I was putting way too much pressure on the stock trying to get a good cheek weld. It turns out it was a combination of a different scope and rings putting the scope higher than I was used to. While the rifle was at SAC getting magic worked, I got an S&B 5-25. So the scope was going to be naturally higher with the 56mm Obj and 34mm rings than my previous 50mm Obj with 30mm rings. So I think I over raised the stock pack, which was then forcing me to press down too hard to get a good sight picture. So anyway, we adjusted the stock pack down a bit and I really concentrated on "going dead" on the stock. My friends advice was genius because I immediate shot these next two 5-shot groups:

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

The flyer above was totally me. I knew it missed as soon as I pulled the trigger. But there are 4 shots in that ragged hole...

And then I moved the frame out to 300 yds to get some dope before shooting steel @ 400yds.
300yds.jpg

Here's a before and after SAC image of the rifle:

Before
IMG_1671.jpg

After
IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

So thanks again for an awesome job, Mark! It was worth the wait.

And BTW, the stock was painted by SH member Palmik. He did a beautiful job on the desert GAP theme.

Nice shooting there jeff. Now you need to take that thing out to the distance. That rifle should have no problem banging steel out to 1000 if you have access to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting there jeff. Now you need to take that thing out to the distance. That rifle should have no problem banging steel out to 1000 if you have access to it. </div></div>

Oh, I've shot it at 1K on steel several times prior to sending it off to SAC. It did pretty well before, I'm hoping to really wring it out now at long range since Mark did his magic. In fact, probably this coming weekend is looking like a 1000 yd steel outing. 1K has been pretty much the focus of the gun from day one and the big, ugly FTE brake was really intended to help me spot my own hits on steel at long range. It took me a while to work up to getting out there, but I really love the long stuff. That's really the beauty of the desert out here is 1K+ is a 15-30 min drive from my door.

On a related note - I'm glad I went though a re-work up on my handloads. Previously, I was shooting 45.0 Varget, 175 SMKs with Lapua Brass as my standard 1K "hot" load (at about 2610 fps). With the new chamber, I had to back down to 44.5 to hit the same velocity. I finally settled on 44.6 as the OCW load and its clocking in at 2625. I did shoot the original 45.0, but it was just beginning to show some pressure signs and the accuracy really dropped off.

so how much $$ would this set me back for my sps??

That looks really nice after the paint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mparker88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so how much $$ would this set me back for my sps?? </div></div>

Sorry about the delay

I am still running the package, but I typically recommend doing a full build.

Jeff's rifle had a good consistent bore and an all around good barrel. I cant say that some/most of the rifles come in have the potential to be a good shooter due to the barrel.

So assuming you had a good barrel that has a nice consistent bore diameter, here are the package details.

$625

Action/bolt blueprinting
Barrel threading to your specs
Cutting barrel to length if desired and re-crowning
Setting the barrel back and re-chambering
supplying a surface ground recoil lug
Timing the Remington text on the barrel back with the action
Tactical bolt knob conversion
Trigger tuned to 2-2.5 lbs.

I'm thinking of running a similar package with all the details above plus these two extra services for $700

Pinning the recoil lug to the action
8/40 screw base upgrade

If anybody has questions let me know, I would be more than happy to help.

Jeff, good shooting. I'm glad you were able get your shooting position squared away. If you ever need that rifle to be scary accurate, just put some 175 Federal Gold Metal Match in!!!!!

Mark