• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another USMC Unertl Sniper Scope

For the BMG?? Thats strange, I thought .50 rifles were a more recent thing? If I may, do you know more about the purpose of this scope Mr Kraig? Was it intended for the M2 machine gun ala Carlos Hathcock? Or, I dont know? Thats cool though and the first Ive ever heard of a Unertl for .50s.

Since Carlos put scope blocks on an M2, mounted an 8x Unertl externally adjustable scope, and used it in Nam to get a bit more range, fitting a modern Unertl to a 50 cal. should not be a big surprise and is not a novel idea. These scopes are going for silly prices, but so are the 8X.

These 10X Snipers are NOTHING like the Lyman and Unertl sporting scopes pressed into service during the Vietnam War.

THIS #1045 was purchased with two others on 27JAN82. It was originally configured and most surely attached to an M40A1 at that time.

The Barrett M82A1 was adopted by the Corps in 1990, and Unertl made this same scope for them as well, but marked "USMC 50CAL.", having a number "5" prefix on the serial number, turrets marked to 1800 yards, and the appropriate cam to suit.

Somewhere along the line, either the supply of newly manufactured "5" prefix Unertls were not keeping up with the purchase of M82A1s or there was otherwise somehow a surplus of M40A1 scopes, so some of the M40A1 "1" prefixed scopes were converted to 50 cal scopes by changing the cam and elevation knob, and milling out the "SNIPER" in "USMC SNIPER" and restamping it to read ".50CAL", as seen on this one.

This scope looks to be in good shape, but I don't think the 50 cal. model will see the numbers a standard M40A1 scope would, especially being a conversion. We'll see; maybe a collector with deep pockets happens to be needing a conversion scope in his 10X Sniper collection, LOL!

These 10X Snipers are NOTHING like the Lyman and Unertl sporting scopes pressed into service during the Vietnam War.

THIS #1045 was purchased with two others on 27JAN82. It was originally configured and most surely attached to an M40A1 at that time.

The Barrett M82A1 was adopted by the Corps in 1990, and Unertl made this same scope for them as well, but marked "USMC 50CAL.", having a number "5" prefix on the serial number, turrets marked to 1800 yards, and the appropriate cam to suit.

Somewhere along the line, either the supply of newly manufactured "5" prefix Unertls were not keeping up with the purchase of M82A1s or there was otherwise somehow a surplus of M40A1 scopes, so some of the M40A1 "1" prefixed scopes were converted to 50 cal scopes by changing the cam and elevation knob, and milling out the "SNIPER" in "USMC SNIPER" and restamping it to read ".50CAL", as seen on this one.

This scope looks to be in good shape, but I don't think the 50 cal. model will see the numbers a standard M40A1 scope would, especially being a conversion. We'll see; maybe a collector with deep pockets happens to be needing a conversion scope in his 10X Sniper collection, LOL!

Would it be possible to convert it back? Maybe send it to USO?

Would it be possible to convert it back? Maybe send it to USO?

I'm sure it could, but it would be ridiculously impractical and blasphemy to do so. Why pay 5-6K for the historical collector's value in this scope just to have it reconverted to what you could find in a USO MST-100 for 2.5-3K built with stainless parts and modern glass?! The scope would still show evidence of having been converted to 50 cal by the milled out markings. You'd essentially ruin the value of the scope forever.

Last edited:
I'm sure it could, but it would be ridiculously impractical and blasphemy to do so. Why pay 5-6K for the historical collector's value in this scope just to have it reconverted to what you could find in a USO MST-100 for 2.5-3K built with stainless parts and modern glass?! The scope would still show evidence of having been converted to 50 cal by the milled out markings. You'd essentially ruin the value of the scope forever.

1. The current price is not 5-6k.
2. I was thinking more along the lines of doing so only if it required changing of parts without altering the scope and thus allowing it to be put back in its current configuration.
3. There is an extremely limited supply of these scopes and it may be the only way someone could get one for their build.

Personally, I agree with you. It would be smarter and easier to get a USO. Even if I had the money for one of the 7.62 versions they sold earlier I would rather have a USO so I can do whatever I want with it.

Although if you really wanna talk blasphemy, I had a much worse idea than the one above. They had an earlier auction for two 7.62 scopes, both still painted. I wanted to keep one with the original paint and then send the other to be totally rebuilt like the ones CS Tactical had awhile ago. Now that's blasphemy.

Edit: I just looked and the scopes in the auction for two scopes were not painted.

Last edited:
I have a redfield 3x9 accu-range (tombstone)...was that used on m40`s also....????

The Pre-A1 M40 used a Redfield 3-9x Accu-Range with Tombstone reticle but it would be necessary to see the scope you have as Redfield produced other 3-9x scopes in configurations different than the USMC Redfields.

1. The current price is not 5-6k.
2. I was thinking more along the lines of doing so only if it required changing of parts without altering the scope and thus allowing it to be put back in its current configuration.

(I'd bet it ends up going for around 5K)

I see what you're saying. It may be a simple matter of swapping out the course adjustment knob and first screw fitting. It may also require a different erector to accomodate elevation travel, but I doubt it (funny how Unertl was able to accomplish this feat in a one-inch THICK-walled tube while other manufacturers act like it's impossible). One thing is for sure, I would only send it to USO if they would assure me they would NOT drill their big, ugly hole in it for their coil spring (It's kind of their trademark on reconditioned 10X Snipers).

More people looking at building Authentic A1's and early A3's vs. .Barrett M82's.....so I say more desirable.

I thought Kraig was going to follow up, but for those who missed it, this scope went for $3561.

I have to say I'm surprised by this. Sure, it is a .50 cal., and modified to be .50 cal at that. Sure the economy sucks, and the scope is missing an o-ring. But, considering a real-deal, original Marine Corps Unertl sniper scope went for just a bit more than a USO copy, that is really interesting!

Yeah I agree that I thought it would go for a little more M40_A1. Think guys are just holding and saving their money to buy the next standard 10X that comes up. I paid almost double for mine last year.