• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another Vortex down

What's funny is, I need a limiter for the opposite reason. I over-gorillaed one of the turret lock screws on my AMG and marred the surface of the piece that has the markings on it under the turret cover. That's what you're actually tightening the screws onto - and then it in turn moves the brass erector piece when you turn the turret. So, what would happen then is that when I went to change zero slightly, it would slip back into the old position.

Vortex diagnosed the user error over the phone and sent me two of the parts in the mail - it was easily swapped and 100% corrected the problem. They also gave me a way to make an educated guess at the right torque using the tool included with the scope. Basically, when the tool flexes while you're tightening it, it should be good to go.

The FAT wrench has a tough time getting to one screw, so I'll have to get a different solution (FixIt Sticks, or Borka) to do it accurately in the future.

ive seen similar to this also...my guess is it has to do with the gen 2 having much harder internal materials...i ran my gen 2 on my AIAT with about 8 different barrels over 2 yrs, swapping them around almost every match...i tightened those screws as much as i could with an allen wrench and never seemed to have the deformation in the center stem...never had a slip

i also own an AMG and a Minox ZP5...on both of these i can feel the center stem start to smash if i start to crank them down...i slightly over tightened the Minox once, havent had that issue on the AMG yet...i barely snug both of these scopes and theyve never slipped either, but im pretty sure if i barely snugged my Gen 2 the same way, it would slip like other peoples have....my guess is either the stem gives more than the screw, or the screw/threads have to give more than the stem in order to get that wedge lock, its gotta be one or the other and most scopes have the softer center stem...not sure what it is but i can definitely tell a difference between the scopes

Reactions: jafo96 and davere
Take my razor 2 off the list. Scott talked through it with me and suggested swapping rings. Tested this morning and it's shooting and tracking great. I think the clamp on the rings was bottoming out before it got full clamp force on the rail.

Take my razor 2 off the list. Scott talked through it with me and suggested swapping rings. Tested this morning and it's shooting and tracking great. I think the clamp on the rings was bottoming out before it got full clamp force on the rail.

dang, thats good but sucks at the same time it showed up during the match

what? that's amazing. I never would have guessed something like this. I'm a relative beginner so can you give a little more detail?..

So I understand this clearly, your Gen 1 Razor was fixed over the phone. Unless they were instructing you in how to glue it back together it sounds more like user error than a defective scope. Could you tell us what it was you were told to do over the phone in case another user has the same issue?

Regarding your GenII turret screws coming loose, I also wouldn’t claim this as adefect or malfuction and would clasify this under user error. To avoid over or undertightening the outer turret set screws, I contacted Vortex for torque specs. Where Vortex dropped the ball was not listing this in the owners manual but a quick call to a helpful CS rep got me the info I need to avoid a User Error situation. I was told they should be torqued to 8-12in/lb. I immediately called the helpful people at Fixit Sticks and ordered a 10in/lb torque limiter for my set. I noticed I was not tightening those little screws nearly as hard as I should once I used the limiter. Haven’t had any issues since. Highly recommend getting good tools to help in the User Error QC Dept, saves a lot of unnecessary headaches.

That same range trip with my new torque limiter I watched a guy getting his new Blaser in 300 RUM with big NF optic set up in a lead sled for a “muley hunt”. Was trying to get it “point blank zero’d” at 200yrds but wasn’t hitting at 300 on 18”x18” paper. Offered my torque wrench set but he had it all figured out. Asked him what app he was using for his dope and he said he didn’t need it for his “point blank zero”, the info he needed was on the box. Too often the American independent mentality is foolishly humorous because we think we know better. I am sure he will complain that the Blaser can’t hit the broad side of a barn and the NF doesn’t hold zero or some shit. Yet if you checked his setup you would find ranom torque values, incorrect scope adjustments and every other user adjusted value out of spec.

In the end, Vortex may make an occasion bad scope but crying foul on their quality because of your torque value is sad and avoidable as were his issues.

So the scope works fine for a few months and stops working toward the second half of a match after I haven't touched the thing, and in your opinion, it's "more user error." LOL! Keep telling yourself that.

"Could you tell us what it was you were told to do over the phone in case another user has the same issue?" Dude, this was how many years ago now? It was something to the effect of peeling the turret cap off and turning the entire spindle setup down, IIRC.

"Regarding your GenII turret screws coming loose, I also wouldn’t claim this as adefect or malfuction and would clasify this under user error." Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't buy 2,000.00+ optics off of the opinion of random internet guy, now, isn't it? You have no idea what I did to try and rectify that situation, so speaking to it, and making assertions isn't going to prove your point and may make you look even more obsequious than you already do.

"In the end, Vortex may make an occasion bad scope but crying foul on their quality because of your torque value is sad and avoidable as were his issues." Stop it, now you're just being sycophantic.

So I have a number of Kahles scopes at this point. You know what I did? I took them out of the box, TORQUED THEM DOWN WITH MY WHEELER FAT WRENCH, zeroed them, set the zero stops, and started shooting.

Do you know how many times I have had to TORQUE the elevation turret cap set screws with my WHEELER FAT WRENCH? In fact, even typing that out sounds stupid; point being, you shouldn't have to torque down elevation turret cap set screws. I had never done that with any other scope, and I've had quite a few at this point. Anyhow, with regards to my Kahles, I didn't torque them down, I used the fucking allen wrench provided and tightened them until they were finger tight. Guess what has not come loose? I had to laugh at the poor guy up top here who tightened his AMG screw down so tight that it marred the surface of that assembly. I'm starting to wonder what your's looks like with 10in/lbs. My buddy was advised 8 when he called in.

Furthermore, I have yet to be out shooting, need to dial my elevation, and the turret just spins freely. I haven't yet had that experience with my Kahles.

So now I have to know your opinion on how the one guy fucked up and his eyepiece lense fell out on his PST. What did he do (or not do) to have that happen? I'm guessing he didn't use a torque wrench to tighten the ring cap screws, and so he tightened them so much, he literally squeezed the scope tube until it popped out. If only he would've used "good tools," it may have helped him in the "User Error QC Dept."

Reactions: Birddog6424
So the scope works fine for a few months and stops working toward the second half of a match after I haven't touched the thing, and in your opinion, it's "more user error." LOL! Keep telling yourself that.

"Could you tell us what it was you were told to do over the phone in case another user has the same issue?" Dude, this was how many years ago now? It was something to the effect of peeling the turret cap off and turning the entire spindle setup down, IIRC.

"Regarding your GenII turret screws coming loose, I also wouldn’t claim this as adefect or malfuction and would clasify this under user error." Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't buy 2,000.00+ optics off of the opinion of random internet guy, now, isn't it? You have no idea what I did to try and rectify that situation, so speaking to it, and making assertions isn't going to prove your point and may make you look even more obsequious than you already do.

"In the end, Vortex may make an occasion bad scope but crying foul on their quality because of your torque value is sad and avoidable as were his issues." Stop it, now you're just being sycophantic.

So I have a number of Kahles scopes at this point. You know what I did? I took them out of the box, TORQUED THEM DOWN WITH MY WHEELER FAT WRENCH, zeroed them, set the zero stops, and started shooting.

Do you know how many times I have had to TORQUE the elevation turret cap set screws with my WHEELER FAT WRENCH? In fact, even typing that out sounds stupid; point being, you shouldn't have to torque down elevation turret cap set screws. I had never done that with any other scope, and I've had quite a few at this point. Anyhow, with regards to my Kahles, I didn't torque them down, I used the fucking allen wrench provided and tightened them until they were finger tight. Guess what has not come loose? I had to laugh at the poor guy up top here who tightened his AMG screw down so tight that it marred the surface of that assembly. I'm starting to wonder what your's looks like with 10in/lbs. My buddy was advised 8 when he called in.

Furthermore, I have yet to be out shooting, need to dial my elevation, and the turret just spins freely. I haven't yet had that experience with my Kahles.

So now I have to know your opinion on how the one guy fucked up and his eyepiece lense fell out on his PST. What did he do (or not do) to have that happen? I'm guessing he didn't use a torque wrench to tighten the ring cap screws, and so he tightened them so much, he literally squeezed the scope tube until it popped out. If only he would've used "good tools," it may have helped him in the "User Error QC Dept."

if it makes you feel any better i saw kahles turrets slip twice last year...

really though, who cares about what you had to do with any of your other scopes compared to the others, they arent the same scopes...i cranked the hell outta my gen 2 and it was fine...cant do that with my minox or amg, because they aint the same scope, so i dont treat them the same

i hope scope manufacturers are seeing this thread though...tiny set screws holding the turret are terrible...unless someone in scope manufacturing can give a good reason why all turrets arent keyed to the stem with a screw holding it down on top, i want all my scopes that way...id gladly pay more for it too

My ATACR slipped last week. It’s not uncommon when you start talking about single inch-pound values.

i hope scope manufacturers are seeing this thread though...tiny set screws holding the turret are terrible...unless someone in scope manufacturing can give a good reason why all turrets arent keyed to the stem with a screw holding it down on top, i want all my scopes that way...id gladly pay more for it too
^^ THIS^^, so Very This! After owning several scopes with keyed knobs I absolutely hate set-screw turret knobs... :(
I'm guessing this feature makes manufacturing a little more difficult, as the knob and turret keys have to be indexed perfectly, but I definitely prefer the design.

So a $3500-4500 Tangent Theta is a mid-end scope?

Yeah, I can remember when Leopould Mk 4s for about $800 - $900 were the shit. Then, it was Nightforce for what?.... $1200 - $1500? - now NFs are up to $2500 for the mid-range model? Anymore, you have to have a budget similar to military guys to play this game. Or so it's thought.

I rarely look at either the optics sales forum or the firearms sales forums anymore because it's just gotten too expensive. And besides, I can't figure out what all these letters and numbers mean after the brand name. You know, I can still decipher some of the NF models like 5.5-22x56 but stuff like Schmidt & Bender or US Optics - forget it.

And different kinds of reticles? Trying to figure that stuff out and I start getting a nosebleed.

Last edited:
^^ THIS^^, so Very This! After owning several scopes with keyed knobs I absolutely hate set-screw turret knobs... :(
I'm guessing this feature makes manufacturing a little more difficult, as the knob and turret keys have to be indexed perfectly, but I definitely prefer the design.
Hilariously, on the more affordable side of the spectrum, EO Tech Vudu line functions this way. The “knob” - or really the outer sleeve of the turret - is keyed to the cogged portion of the turret stem. This sleeve itself is held in place by a cap that threads into the stem. Genius really; elegantly simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stpilot12
I wish you guys would spread the word that Vortex sucks a little more because a few sites I've seen can't keep the Gen 2 PSTs in stock and now I have to wait.
Seriously though, being a new kid here, I really had no idea that even the higher end brands were having QC issues. Guess I'll buy the Gen 2 with Mil discount and love the warranty.

Plus I'll use the SS 10x as a back up in case this one fails.

I wish you guys would spread the word that Vortex sucks a little more because a few sites I've seen can't keep the Gen 2 PSTs in stock and now I have to wait.
Seriously though, being a new kid here, I really had no idea that even the higher end brands were having QC issues. Guess I'll buy the Gen 2 with Mil discount and love the warranty.

Plus I'll use the SS 10x as a back up in case this one fails.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit that the Vortex bashers have either owned the lessor models (not Razor) and expecting too much or have never owned a Vortex and feel the need to bash another company to justify whatever scope they do own. Frank really needs to do a better job cleaning out the troll accounts before it gets like ar15.com and others.

Why are the facts so difficult to face when they stand on their own in broad daylight? The number of "my scope broke" threads on this website alone can give someone a pretty good look at the percentages.

I've personally owned scopes from virtually all of the top manufacturers, and have had them fail. All of them (save one). I've seen them fail many more times in classes. There isn't a reason to get emotional about the facts. I don't get upset when a low end product demonstrates that it's a low end product. I get upset when a high end product demonstrates it's a low end or mid range product. When a few of my S&B's had issues, it upset me. When I had issues with my nightforces, it upset me. When I had issues with my USO's, it upset me. When I had issues with my bushnell and vortex products... I wasn't really surprised.

Yet these days, I'm not surprised when ANY of them fail. Tangent Theta is literally the only manufacturer that I haven't had any issue with. Having owned and used as many scopes as I have from so many different manufacturers... that's really saying something.

It's incredible to me just how many people will put a stamp of approval or disapproval on a company or their products when they haven't experienced enough of the competing products to draw any conclusions.

It is also incredible to me that people continuously want someone else to be responsible for them. Why should a scope manufacturer be expected to replace a scope that you threw off a cliff, on purpose or by accident? The simultaneous belief that no one is paying for that, is completely void of all rational thought. Though I suspect it doesn't happen very often. Most folks tend to treat expensive equipment quite well, and manufacturers have now moved to considering this "accident replacement" a cost of doing business. They would rather absorb the cost of a couple a scopes in a year, than to be seen saying they won't replace it. The bluff never being called in any meaningful way, they can easily do it. Vortex gives many scopes away on PRS prize tables, so what's a couple given to guys that can't keep control of their rifles?

The real issue seems to be the accepted risk. Some folks simply can't afford the kind of money they spend on this hobby. So any and all protection they can get for their investment sways their purchasing decision heavily. The focus is constantly shifted to warranty in all products. People buy cars for $50,000 and feel lucky if it lasts through the 5yr warranty, and lose 60-70% of it's value at best upon that timeline. People spend $1000 on a rifle scope and expect it to last several lifetimes with no issues experienced along the way.

You can't have both cheap cost and top quality. That is not a reality of this world. If you want to avoid warranty claims, you have to purchase the right products... and those products are never cheap.
I'm 50 years old and hunted my entire life and never broke a rifle scope...sounds like you brake them all....maybe you shouldn't buy nice things....lol

Reactions: Fig and lash
It wouldn't surprise me one bit that the Vortex bashers have either owned the lessor models (not Razor) and expecting too much or have never owned a Vortex and feel the need to bash another company to justify whatever scope they do own. Frank really needs to do a better job cleaning out the troll accounts before it gets like ar15.com and others.
Every time this thread almost dies someone post something along the lines of straight trolling and we get more thoughts from the peanut gallery. % wise there is nothing out of the norm with any of the vortex lines compared to anyone else out there. Our shop sells the shit out of most all of the lines with very low return rate. Haters always gunna hate.

Reactions: jafo96
You know what's funny? Sightron. I've seen folks on this very site bash Sightron because they used a keyed turret instead of some set screws. I have not had an issue ever with Sightron but am waiting for them to figure out an elegant way to do zero stop.

Oh yeah, and I've no issue with the Vortex Gen I and Gen II scopes.

This "keyed" or "notched" turret design isn't revolutionary. Hell, half the chinese garbage out there uses it. Yet seemingly none of them can get the turret cap markings to line up with the indicator. lol

It is interesting how the warranty is almost always either the first or second thing brought up whenever someone talks about Vortex.
You could definitely interpret that a lot of different ways.

You could interpret that as excellent customer service.
... or constantly breaking scopes.

Dude, sorry you are so butt-hurt but I still stand behind my “user error” claim.

A physically faulty scope CANNOT be fixed over the phone. Having your turrets maxed out, as you have identified in your Gen1, is not a manufacturing defect but a result of improper scope setup. Now if your complaint was Vortex should have written better instructions on how to proper use the mechanism then we could discuss how “user error” could better be avoided. But to say it isn’t “user error” and bash a company that, by your own admission, employees the Mesiah of scope technicians who can turn water into wine and remanufacture a scope over the phone is just not fair.

All mechanical design are different, scopes are no exception. It is always best to check the manufactures specifications for the materials and design incorporated in their product before ASSUMING you know better because you own a completely different product.

Both problems were solved by you simply making the proper corrections to the user intended adjustments. That by definition is User Error. To say it isn’t USER ERROR shows arrogance and vanity. To say it isn’t User Error because one scope IS NOT the same as the other scope is ignorant and/or stupid. Maybe you are best utilizing the services of a qualified gunsmith to properly mount and adjust your scopes so you don’t encounter so more “faulty” versions.

Recarding the PST with the loose lens. No where did I say Vortex was perfect or that this was a User Error and you deflecting is not going to change what constitutes User Error vs a Defect.

Perhaps if you are this sensitive you should avoid speaking in public under the assumption that you are always right because that will only lead to your continued disappointment.

I am glad that you haven’t misadjusted you Kahles and that it is working well for you.

Last edited:
The MR-10 by USO was at least 99.4% perfect. I like the 2 Vortex scopes, I have but whatever magic USO was putting in the 1.8-10 was incredbible.

Where did you get that number from?

My Nightforces are 99.9% perfect. Would be 100% if they put the 300blk reticle in the 1-8

Dude, sorry you are so butt-hurt but I still stand behind my “user error” claim.

A physically faulty scope CANNOT be fixed over the phone. Having your turrets maxed out, as you have identified in your Gen1, is not a manufacturing defect but a result of improper scope setup. Now if your complaint was Vortex should have written better instructions on how to proper use the mechanism then we could discuss how “user error” could better be avoided. But to say it isn’t “user error” and bash a company that, by your own admission, employees the Mesiah of scope technicians who can turn water into wine and remanufacture a scope over the phone is just not fair.

All mechanical design are different, scopes are no exception. It is always best to check the manufactures specifications for the materials and design incorporated in their product before ASSUMING you know better because you own a completely different product.

Both problems were solved by you simply making the proper corrections to the user intended adjustments. That by definition is User Error. To say it isn’t USER ERROR shows arrogance and vanity. To say it isn’t User Error because one scope IS NOT the same as the other scope is ignorant and/or stupid. Maybe you are best utilizing the services of a qualified gunsmith to properly mount and adjust your scopes so you don’t encounter so more “faulty” versions.

Recarding the PST with the loose lens. No where did I say Vortex was perfect or that this was a User Error and you deflecting is not going to change what constitutes User Error vs a Defect.

Perhaps if you are this sensitive you should avoid speaking in public under the assumption that you are always right because that will only lead to your continued disappointment.

I am glad that you haven’t misadjusted you Kahles and that it is working well for you.

Look man, we can go on and on and on about this business, but at the end of the day, you don't know shit. Asserting what you think you know I did or did not do, as stated before, doesn't make you correct. You don't know me, my background or anything else, so to continue to drum on and on about this issue isn't going to prove anyone right or wrong. I will continue to question the mechanical robustness of Vortex's optics and you will continue to defend them. I will continue to inform folks of my personal experiences with Vortex's products and so will you.

I get it. You own a bunch of Vortex scopes and you want to make sure you've made sound purchases. That's completely understandable. Just remember the next time you're out shooting, make sure you tighten those elevation turret set screws!

To the guy who witnessed some Kahles turrets slip. That's fucking awesome. Thank you for the anecdote.

Just remember the next time you're out shooting, make sure you tighten those elevation turret set screws!

I had two of my three elevation turret screws loose at the end of shooting just yesterday... They didn't move today at all but it's now on the pre-shoot checklist for that scope.

I had two of my three elevation turret screws loose at the end of shooting just yesterday... They didn't move today at all but it's now on the pre-shoot checklist for that scope.

If it helps, once properly torqued, my turret screws haven’t moved after 7 matches and 1100 rounds. Have tweeked zero several times but only after switching to different ammo and once torqued have remained solid.

Look man, we can go on and on and on about this business, but at the end of the day, you don't know shit. Asserting what you think you know I did or did not do, as stated before, doesn't make you correct. You don't know me, my background or anything else, so to continue to drum on and on about this issue isn't going to prove anyone right or wrong. I will continue to question the mechanical robustness of Vortex's optics and you will continue to defend them. I will continue to inform folks of my personal experiences with Vortex's products and so will you.

I get it. You own a bunch of Vortex scopes and you want to make sure you've made sound purchases. That's completely understandable. Just remember the next time you're out shooting, make sure you tighten those elevation turret set screws!

To the guy who witnessed some Kahles turrets slip. That's fucking awesome. Thank you for the anecdote.

You are right, we could go on and on and that I don’t know anything about you. You laughable make the assumption yourself of which you have accused me. I could care less, I have thicker skin than you do apparently. I own only 1 Vortex scope of which I have very familiar with it intended opperatuon per the informationprovided by the manufacture. Please keep in mind I don’t need to know about you nor do I care to know about you. You yourself have provided all the details needed in your description of your lroblem and the fix. You have also made it clear that your anecdote regarding your Vortex experience is more valuable than someone else’s anecdote regarding their Kahles experience, even after you yourself described the problem being resolved by properly adjusting the user adjustments on your 2 different Razors. You don’t have to like Vortex or buy Vortex and you will probably never take responsibility for your issues but I am hoping most here simply see your “issues” for what they are.

Good luck with your future scope happiness.

You are right, we could go on and on and that I don’t know anything about you. You laughable make the assumption yourself of which you have accused me. I could care less, I have thicker skin than you do apparently. I own only 1 Vortex scope of which I have very familiar with it intended opperatuon per the informationprovided by the manufacture. Please keep in mind I don’t need to know about you nor do I care to know about you. You yourself have provided all the details needed in your description of your lroblem and the fix. You have also made it clear that your anecdote regarding your Vortex experience is more valuable than someone else’s anecdote regarding their Kahles experience, even after you yourself described the problem being resolved by properly adjusting the user adjustments on your 2 different Razors. You don’t have to like Vortex or buy Vortex and you will probably never take responsibility for your issues but I am hoping most here simply see your “issues” for what they are.

Good luck with your future scope happiness.
I agree 100% with Jafo96. Falex has been nothing but a vortex troll for a number of years now. He has admitted that he personally has had two supposed issues with Vortex scopes that were not issues at all. My guess is that he is butt hurt that vortex didnt give him new scopes for his user error. In his head he is convinced that the scopes were broke and they should have given him new ones. Yet admitted with CUSTOMER SERVICE phone help the scopes were fine. It's either this or he is an entitled millennial that started shooting PRS and asked Vortex to sponsor him and they said no. So now Vortex is evil because they dont realize how great he is.

Chris

Reactions: BCP and jafo96
Yup, I've seen lots of scope turrets slip. Lots of different mechanisms.

Never a Tangent Theta.
You are full of it Dude. Get over yourself. Your good friend had a turret issue on his TT last year at the South Dakota match. It hurt him the whole first day. He normally finishes top 5 at that match and if I remember correctly I dont think he ended up in the top 30.

Reactions: BCP
You are full of it Dude. Get over yourself. Your good friend had a turret issue on his TT last year at the South Dakota match. It hurt him the whole first day. He normally finishes top 5 at that match and if I remember correctly I dont think he ended up in the top 30.

Wow. That is crazy. I have a couple of TT's and cannot imagine the turret slipping short of user error.

I am curious how TT treated him. Did they fix his problem? What kind of time frame?

would you send him my username and ask him to PM me as I would like to discuss it with him. It is the first TT I have ever heard of having a problem like that.

What is really quite funny, years ago, when the PST line was first introduced, WELL before the first one got into anybodies hands, I suggested caution.
There were INSTANT fanboys, talking about the PST being a game changer (in a way, they were) and they were 2500 dollar scopes for 1000 bucks.
I kept mentioning Philippine manufacture, folks told me that I didn't know what the fuck I was talking about (I lived there for 5 1/2 years).
Some of them were downright hysterical in their devotion to a product that wasn't even being delivered and was late to the party. Remember, they stopped production to address an issue (to their immense credit).
People accused me of heresy and Vortex hate and said I was bashing them.
I wasn't. I was trying to be objective.
I had personal knowledge of the habits of the Filipino workforce. I kept telling them, there is no free lunch, if you are offering all the bells and whistles, you are compromising somewhere.

But, Vortex and the PST WERE in fact, game changers. They brought out a feature packed tactical scope with every box checked (at the time), although some things, like the shim based zero stop were a bit funky. Still, they were well designed, good looking scopes that for the most part functioned as they should.
Everyone else had to play catch-up. Some were more successful than others. New manufacturers have popped up, following a similar business model, offering scopes to compete with what Vortex offers.
The Gen II PST is a dandy scope, from a great company.
They are not perfect, because, as noted, compromises must be made.
They have really nice glass, great turrets, they seem to track, but durability may be questionable.
Then look at the XTR II (excluding the 2-10 and 1-8 LOW made scopes).
Also Philippine manufacture. Meh glass, meh turrets, they track and are built like a tank.
Pick your poison or spend more.
If you want to check all the boxes and have the durability (still compromising) you're going to have to go at least another 500-600 if not more.

I've never had a decent scope fail on me, unless you count cheap NcStar airsoft-level knock-off crap.

This thread makes me want to buy a Razor Gen 2 just so I can use it hard and see how much it can take before it fails.

You can fast forward to 22:20 to hear about the Vortex issue.

I've never had a decent scope fail on me, unless you count cheap NcStar airsoft-level knock-off crap.

This thread makes me want to buy a Razor Gen 2 just so I can use it hard and see how much it can take before it fails.

good luck...i beat one down shooting 25-30 matches (1 day and 2 day) a year, for 2.5 yrs and mine never missed a beat...some of the turret marking #s are rubbed/scratched off, its been scuffed and banged off barricades, rocks, pipes...buddy dropped his 15+ lb rifle off a table and it landed upside down directly on the scope bell...pretty sure it bent something because it shifted his zero a couple inches, but once rezero'd the scope still tracks and runs perfect, hes been using it since Oct '17 after the tumble

I can't believe this thread is still going, but here I go throwing another iron in the fire to get people all fired up.

Is the AMG as reliable as the razor2?

I can't believe this thread is still going, but here I go throwing another iron in the fire to get people all fired up.

only had mine about 6 months but no issues from it

Reliable? I'd expect so. You have to ask where 20oz of weight went though and there I'd suggest the durability likely isn't quite the same. Won't see any Vortex SHOT Show reps advocating using the AMG as a bludgeon.

REX had also some kind of issues with Vortex in his test.

Do yourself a favor and dont listen to a thing this Rex says. His videos are riddled with errors. Hell, in one of his video's he touts USO as being the only 100% USA made scope on the market. When in fact they out source for many major components from overseas(not germany). He also touts them as being the most reliable scopes out there.

I agree with Rob01. Every problem he had with any scope in the marathon of a video you posted is/was user error. Which doesnt surprise me this he has no clue what he is doing. He constantly has a vendetta out for Vortex. My guess........Vortex wouldnt send him a bunch of free stuff to test so now he feels the need to bad mouth them. It amazes me that people understand not to trust magazine writers with 100% confidence with what they write, but when it comes to you tubers or simple internet posts some people take it for gospel.

Reactions: jafo96 and Bender

I had a shift in my zero somewhere, yes. Did the rifle get dropped or tampered with or something else let loose - guard screw, rings, suppressor? I don't know. Did the TT turret on my scope fail? I highly doubt it. After discovering I was off (tall grass disguised the height of my misses), I went to the zero board quick, rezeroed, and continued on with the rest of the match without issue. I changed nothing on that rifle besides a quick torque check on all screws and two weeks later went to the Nebraska PRS match and finished second by 1 point. I am running the same scope to this day with no change besides an upgrade to the newer Hawkins Heavy Tactical rings and it's never missed a beat.
In short, I definitely would not say my poor performance at the '17 SD Steel Classic was from a Tangent turret shitting the bed.

I had a shift in my zero somewhere, yes. Did the rifle get dropped or tampered with or something else let loose - guard screw, rings, suppressor? I don't know. Did the TT turret on my scope fail? I highly doubt it. After discovering I was off (tall grass disguised the height of my misses), I went to the zero board quick, rezeroed, and continued on with the rest of the match without issue. I changed nothing on that rifle besides a quick torque check on all screws and two weeks later went to the Nebraska PRS match and finished second by 1 point. I am running the same scope to this day with no change besides an upgrade to the newer Hawkins Heavy Tactical rings and it's never missed a beat.
In short, I definitely would not say my poor performance at the '17 SD Steel Classic was from a Tangent turret shitting the bed.
Not what I was saying at all. Orkan said a TT turret has never slipped. Since you run an integral rail/ base action and the gun was still shooting bugholes(since you build a great rifle) the only possible answer is that your turrets slipped. Not saying the scope failed at all. Really just pointing out Orkans closed mindedness and arrogance, but then again I guess I am probably preaching to the choir on that subject. TT's are great scopes, are they the best in all categories.......no. Is any scope best in all catagories.......no. Unless of course you ask Orkan.

Last edited: