• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another what scope: 6.5CM

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Going to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor in the next month to replace my 308 for long range work.

I've taken the 308 to 1000 metres; I'd like to take the 6.5CM to 1500 metres. Have a S&B 3-20x50 PMII FFP on the 308 and I'm thinking of leaving it on there and putting a cheaper scope on the 6.5CM. The 308 is used for hunting as well as target, so I think it makes sense for me to leave the better scope on that rifle.

So.... looking for
Up to $1200
FFP/MRAD
Illuminated reticle
Enough elevation adjustment for 1500 metres.
50 - 56mm objective

I'm thinking the Vortex PST Gen II 5-25 won't cut it due to it having 20 mrad of elevation, even if I put a 20moa rail on the rifle. Plugging 1500 metres into a 6.5 Creedmoor solver gives me about 23 mrad of elevation required. This sort of suggests I'll need a 34mm tube and around 30+ mrad of elevation adjustment on the scope, which is a bit of a shame as I have a set of TierOne 30mm scope rings sitting unused in the cupboard.

Any scope ideas?

1200 is a pretty low ceiling for what you want to do.
The DMR 2 is a solid choice.
Sightmark also makes some really nice scopes that are wallet friendly:

The well proven Gen 1 Razor 5-20 should still be considered, it is long in the tooth, but a very good scope.
I have a Chronus 4.5-29, a VERY nice scope, but I don't think you'll find one in your price bracket.

GA Precision still has some DMR 2’s for sale at $850. Probably hard to beat.
I'm in Europe; can't get that without import VAT. There are some DMR 1s around here going a lot cheaper than DMR 2s. Would a DMR 1 be a good buy?

I'm in Europe; can't get that without import VAT. There are some DMR 1s around here going a lot cheaper than DMR 2s. Would a DMR 1 be a good buy?
I honestly don’t have any experience with the gen 1’s. I’ve heard they are reliable but suffer optically, but to what degree I do not know.

Move the S&B over for now, save more for a better scope later.

Without knowing what your price tiers are over there, I'd guess you can get some stuff way cheaper than in the States, but we get other stuff way cheaper than you can. Hard to make a educated decision.

Toss out some options you have available and see what the consensus is.

BTW, you can add a tapered mount to use more of the total travel. 20-30moa usually gets you there just fine.

how do you compare the stryker with the minox long range,they are both in the same price range in europe?

The ones which I can get in Europe around about my price range are:

Delta Javelin 4.5-30x56 FFP

Sightmark Latitude 6.25-25x56 PRS

Meopta Meopro Optika 6 5-30x56

Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x50 Elite Tactical Scope (this is the DMR, not DMR 2)

Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56

Haven't checked the elevation range of these so there may be some in that list which are eliminated by not having around 30 mils of adjustment.

The $1200 is not a hard limit, but if I can get a scope which works for that price I would be happier. I'd also like to only buy this once, rather than find it doesn't work and buy it again.

Last edited:
6.5 is a much better performer at distance, so it‘s counter-intuitive to me to keep an S&B on a .308 and slap a demonstrably lower quality scope on the better performing rifle/caliber. By your own admission, you’re going to shoot the 6.5 at 50% longer distance than the .308 rifle.
Keep in mind that you’re not only going to be dealing with a need for more elevation adjustment, but also needing better optical quality to resolve the target at extended ranges and spot for corrections. Any time you’re going out past say, 800-1000yds with any frequency, better optical quality is going to be a massive advantage to you. Higher magnification also taxes glass performance, so you need good enough optical quality to compensate. As has already been suggested, move the S&B over to the 6.5 and put something else on the .308 Rifle.

Reactions: Biscuits